E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > The big BMW recall game!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #45
Jamie_E92
Captain
Jamie_E92's Avatar
23
Rep
782
Posts

Drives: Phoenix yellow e92 325d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: lancs

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
just got mine back today

there was 360 miles range when i dropped it off

the dash cam has been unplugged and there is now 300 miles range remaining
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #46
nick46
Second Lieutenant
nick46's Avatar
26
Rep
222
Posts

Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bridgwater

iTrader: (0)

That'll be because they would've disconnected the battery. When reconnected all your trip counters and on board computer will have reset. Therfore your car is now just calculating the range based purely on what's in the tank and not factoring in your driving style. As you drive it, it will then relearn your driving style and then include that when calculating the range.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #47
Jamie_E92
Captain
Jamie_E92's Avatar
23
Rep
782
Posts

Drives: Phoenix yellow e92 325d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: lancs

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
That'll be because they would've disconnected the battery. When reconnected all your trip counters and on board computer will have reset. Therfore your car is now just calculating the range based purely on what's in the tank and not factoring in your driving style. As you drive it, it will then relearn your driving style and then include that when calculating the range.
that makes sense, however unplugging the dash cam at the camera end , doesnt
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #48
nick46
Second Lieutenant
nick46's Avatar
26
Rep
222
Posts

Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bridgwater

iTrader: (0)

Maybe they disconnected it to protect it from any potential voltage spikes when the battery was reconnected, and then just forgot about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #49
Jamie_E92
Captain
Jamie_E92's Avatar
23
Rep
782
Posts

Drives: Phoenix yellow e92 325d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: lancs

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
ive seen the video, he goes to move it out the workshop then disconnects it... its clearly obvious they dont want me seeing them taking it on a road test.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #50
nick46
Second Lieutenant
nick46's Avatar
26
Rep
222
Posts

Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bridgwater

iTrader: (0)

So have it out with them. You didn't say that when you first mentioned it.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 04:46 PM   #51
Jamie_E92
Captain
Jamie_E92's Avatar
23
Rep
782
Posts

Drives: Phoenix yellow e92 325d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: lancs

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
So have it out with them. You didn't say that when you first mentioned it.
i didnt realise it was an inquest, i was just stating my findings - since you questioned why I thought it was out of the ordinary, ive since elabourated.

i have already sent an email thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 04:58 PM   #52
Chappers 71
Colonel
Chappers 71's Avatar
United Kingdom
1093
Rep
2,820
Posts

Drives: E92 335i SE
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Kent

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
It's not unusual for garages to disconnect dash cams, the polite thing to do is disconnect it yourself when you hand the car over, after all who would want to be covertly filmed whilst at work. As for the remaining range, next time take a phone pic of the mileage when you drop the car off
__________________
E92 335i SE
E36 328i sport coupe
E39 540i 6SP manual
E34 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc '67 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 05:38 PM   #53
Jamie_E92
Captain
Jamie_E92's Avatar
23
Rep
782
Posts

Drives: Phoenix yellow e92 325d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: lancs

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
It's not unusual for garages to disconnect dash cams, the polite thing to do is disconnect it yourself when you hand the car over, after all who would want to be covertly filmed whilst at work. As for the remaining range, next time take a phone pic of the mileage when you drop the car off
I had a friend whos 125d was taken out by a main dealer and they reached speeds of 127mph on the nearest Motorway so its common place for people to leave dash cams recording whilst their pride and joy is in for servicing

I totally get its not uncommon for the filming to be disallowed in the workshop, but it was taken for a testdrive and i am left wondering why they'd disconnect if for that, certainly raises an eyebrow dont you think?

quick google:

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/14938...ff-at-a-dealer

look at the size of his head!

Last edited by Jamie_E92; 06-21-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2018, 06:15 PM   #54
Chappers 71
Colonel
Chappers 71's Avatar
United Kingdom
1093
Rep
2,820
Posts

Drives: E92 335i SE
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Kent

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Yeah, when I first got my dash cam I left it on whilst it was in at Arden bmw & when I watched it back I wasn't impressed, they didn't thrash it about but it did spend 6 hrs sat in their car park, when they finally bothered to look at it, bearing in mind they insisted that I dropped the car off before they closed the day before so they could check it from cold. The guy started it, spent 15 minutes under the bonnet then walked off leaving the car running for 30 minutes, when he went back to it another tec walked up to him & said, a 335i the other tech says yeah, first tech then says, you have to be a certain type of customer to own one of them. To which they both have a good laugh. A further few minutes under the bonnet then he's done, bonnet closes and car is driven out & parked up.
By 4pm I hadn't heard from them so I give them a call & am told my car is still being worked on & they will call me when it's done.
5.30pm I call them again & after 7 minutes on hold am told my cars ready to pick up.
Upon arrival am told they suspect faulty injectors & need to book the car in for 2 days for investigative work at a cost of £260 + VAT. I say I will give them a call to arrange booking it in, pay them £120 for the work they'd done.
Watched the footage back & haven't been back for work there again.
Gave me the hump for ages hence now I switch it off.
__________________
E92 335i SE
E36 328i sport coupe
E39 540i 6SP manual
E34 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc '67 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 06:19 PM   #55
Jamie_E92
Captain
Jamie_E92's Avatar
23
Rep
782
Posts

Drives: Phoenix yellow e92 325d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: lancs

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
Yeah, when I first got my dash cam I left it on whilst it was in at Arden bmw & when I watched it back I wasn't impressed, they didn't thrash it about but it did spend 6 hrs sat in their car park, when they finally bothered to look at it, bearing in mind they insisted that I dropped the car off before they closed the day before so they could check it from cold. The guy started it, spent 15 minutes under the bonnet then walked off leaving the car running for 30 minutes, when he went back to it another tec walked up to him & said, a 335i the other tech says yeah, first tech then says, you have to be a certain type of customer to own one of them. To which they both have a good laugh. A further few minutes under the bonnet then he's done, bonnet closes and car is driven out & parked up.
By 4pm I hadn't heard from them so I give them a call & am told my car is still being worked on & they will call me when it's done.
5.30pm I call them again & after 7 minutes on hold am told my cars ready to pick up.
Upon arrival am told they suspect faulty injectors & need to book the car in for 2 days for investigative work at a cost of £260 + VAT. I say I will give them a call to arrange booking it in, pay them £120 for the work they'd done.
Watched the footage back & haven't been back for work there again.
Gave me the hump for ages hence now I switch it off.
he's right tho, you have to be a bit special to buy a 335i , especially an n54
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #56
Watkins01
Private
Watkins01's Avatar
2
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: E90
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Shropshire

iTrader: (0)

Anyone being told the battery connections are out of stock? I mean seriously? A recall because they admit a fault (getting BMW to do that shocking enough) but to then not have the parts...
Was going to be selling mine, which quite frankly I wouldn't do with this hanging over it until its sorted.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #57
b21playa
Private First Class
9
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: LCI e60 535d msport
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Birmingham, UK

iTrader: (0)

I had a letter to say car was part of recall and to wait for 2nd letter as parts are out of stock. Thatís a nice way of putting it off to me
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 06:18 PM   #58
Jamie_E92
Captain
Jamie_E92's Avatar
23
Rep
782
Posts

Drives: Phoenix yellow e92 325d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: lancs

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watkins01 View Post
Anyone being told the battery connections are out of stock? I mean seriously? A recall because they admit a fault (getting BMW to do that shocking enough) but to then not have the parts...
Was going to be selling mine, which quite frankly I wouldn't do with this hanging over it until its sorted.
not the battery cable but the blower wiring harness was out of stock when i had mine done
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 03:08 AM   #59
sirleeofroy
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
41
Rep
367
Posts

Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Buckinghamshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by b21playa View Post
I had a letter to say car was part of recall and to wait for 2nd letter as parts are out of stock. Thatís a nice way of putting it off to me
I got the same letter just last week, only mentions the one recall item though.....
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #60
RENT-A-GOAT
Lieutenant
RENT-A-GOAT's Avatar
United Kingdom
94
Rep
403
Posts

Drives: E91 Lci Exclusive Edition
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Warwickshire

iTrader: (0)

Got mine back today handed the Hire car in and all was done BMW released limited amounts of heater loons to the dealers. You don't appreciate how good the bimmer is until your forced out of it for a couple of weeks. Anyone purposefully purchasing a Vauxhall insignia needs to have look really ask WHY, the hire one I had was the top model SRI and it was just a badly designed hard plastic box in fugly metal box with horrible 20" wheels with steering and suspension you had to question was there just woefull. Also gad to question why enterprise give out a brand new car 18 plate with less than 10k on with 4 different brands of tyres all ditch finders with +\- 10psi difference in each its a new car who's been robbing or eating the the rubber
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 03:38 PM   #61
Jamie_E92
Captain
Jamie_E92's Avatar
23
Rep
782
Posts

Drives: Phoenix yellow e92 325d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: lancs

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
Got mine back today handed the Hire car in and all was done BMW released limited amounts of heater loons to the dealers. You don't appreciate how good the bimmer is until your forced out of it for a couple of weeks. Anyone purposefully purchasing a Vauxhall insignia needs to have look really ask WHY, the hire one I had was the top model SRI and it was just a badly designed hard plastic box in fugly metal box with horrible 20" wheels with steering and suspension you had to question was there just woefull. Also gad to question why enterprise give out a brand new car 18 plate with less than 10k on with 4 different brands of tyres all ditch finders with +\- 10psi difference in each its a new car who's been robbing or eating the the rubber
i agree, i had a nissan Quashquai - also woeful, 1k miles on probably less woeful than an insignia but the gearbox was truly awful, how they can be that bad out the factory is beyond me, my 127k mile 3 series felt tight as a drum in comparison!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 06:29 PM   #62
Andy198712
Captain
90
Rep
641
Posts

Drives: 2010 E91 325d
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cornwall

iTrader: (0)

Yh due in tomorrow but had a call today to say they were out of stock sadly and will call when back in stock,
I don’t mind tbh it’ll get done and it’s oky at the minute, at least I can clean my inlet manifold tomorrow instead
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 06:54 AM   #63
Nel2014
Private First Class
8
Rep
139
Posts

Drives: BMW 320d
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Bedfordshire

iTrader: (0)

Mine went Monday for battery cable and heater loom. They did the battery recall but said they inspected the heater loom and said it was all ok and didnt need doing. Interestingly I didnt get a receipt to say what they had done,but did see on the service screen they had done the battery loom.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 03:45 AM   #64
soulgod123
New Member
soulgod123's Avatar
2
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: bmw 318lci 2008
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

mine is next week and they taking it for all day, asked why and being told that software needs to be updated as well, ok.. on top of that he asked would anyone be able to pick me up as this garage is in industrial area
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 04:55 AM   #65
GxTwo
Enlisted Member
Scotland
3
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: 08 e93 335i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I've had both the battery cable and the blower recall letters.

Both of them just stated to wait until i'm contacted again to arrange a time.

How have people had to wait before being given an appointment?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 05:34 AM   #66
soulgod123
New Member
soulgod123's Avatar
2
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: bmw 318lci 2008
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

have booked mine already and just now received second letter so might need go twice to them..
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST