E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Those with USB flash drives greater than 2 GB...

07-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Those with USB flash drives greater than 2 GB...

OK, this has got me stumped, I'm posting here to get a bigger audience, as there must be a ton of people with this setup I'm thinking...

I've been using a 0.5 GB USB flash drive that's FAT formatted, and it's been working perfectly. Each time I turn car back on, it starts playing where I last left off (the song and album).

But I just bought a new Patriot 8 GB Mini that's a FAT32 formatted drive

and it keeps starting at the beginning each time I turn car on (first song of first folder on it), and not at the last played song.

WTF?

The new drive itself hasn't given me any other issues, like not connecting automatically when I start car (and requiring me to take it out and re-insert it into the USB slot again). So I don't get it.

Can it be the brand somehow? Is this normal for all the larger flash drives to sort of reboot each time car goes into sleep mode and start playing the first song of the first folder on the drive?

It doesn't start on first song if I turn the car off and then turn it back on in a few minutes, which is what also makes me think that when car goes to sleep, it loses its place...

But then the 0.5 GB drive always manages to start where I left off, regardless of how long the car's been off. So it's got me stumped.

What to do?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
m5driver77
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2012 f10 M5

Garage List
wrong forum mate, you should check and post in Audio/video section. I remember reading some stuff about the questions you have cant remember precise. You should read couple of pages/scroll.
      07-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I had a Datatraveller 4GB - works absolutely perfect, FAT32 and all - bought an 8GB datatraveller II and it will not work at all - car never sees it, tried reformatting every way possible and you plug it in, it lights up for a few seconds then goes out and the car won't pull the data. It seems that some types just don't work - I know there is a list in the AV forum of US hard drives that work with the car and people have gotten up to 120GB to work, so it seems to just be issues with certain thumb drives/hard drives.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
When did you get your car? I have a May, 2007 build. With the original software, the flash drive functionality had all kinds of bugs for me. I had my annual service in June 2008 and complained about it. Their answer was to upgrade the software in the car. Since my upgrade, that function works much better. Much more stable, faster UI response, etc. If you really want it to work, I think you're going to need the upgraded software. But be warned, the upgraded software also means the remapped acceleration or "turbo lag" as people have been calling it.

FYI, I use a 32 GB flash drive and typically use it by having the car play directories full of songs. It does not start over when I power up the car, it plays where it left off.

I'm using a 32GB Corsair Voyager. And I have a small USB extension cable, I'm not plugging the drive directly into the car slot.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer346 View Post
When did you get your car? I have a May, 2007 build. With the original software, the flash drive functionality had all kinds of bugs for me. I had my annual service in June 2008 and complained about it. Their answer was to upgrade the software in the car. Since my upgrade, that function works much better. Much more stable, faster UI response, etc. If you really want it to work, I think you're going to need the upgraded software. But be warned, the upgraded software also means the remapped acceleration or "turbo lag" as people have been calling it.

FYI, I use a 32 GB flash drive and typically use it by having the car play directories full of songs. It does not start over when I power up the car, it plays where it left off.

I'm using a 32GB Corsair Voyager. And I have a small USB extension cable, I'm not plugging the drive directly into the car slot.
Thanks for the info. My car's a May 2008 build, so I'm guessing I have fairly recent software, so I'll try a new USB flash drive first, and then see if the software needs updating. I'm wondering if the flash drive itself is the problem then. I might see if I can find this Corsair Voyager locally. Aaargh. What a PITA.

PS Did you have to reformat it first to get rid of the "True Crypt" security application that comes on it? Is one supposed to get rid of all software on the flash drives first before using them in the car?

Last edited by Lotus99; 07-30-2008 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #6
TerraLvr335i
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 28i

I use an 8GB Sandisk Mini Cruzer and it works great. No problems and fits nicely plugged directly into the port. It's also widely available in Staples, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc., if that helps.

I formatted it to FAT32, clearing all programs on the drive before loading it up with music. Not sure if it's necessary, but wanted every last bit of space.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
emarkd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

My March '08 build has had several flash drives and hard drives hooked to it in addition to an iPod. Flash drives up to 4 GB all seem to work just fine. I'm currently using a 160 GB 2.5" laptop disk and it works just as well once you work out the power issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Great... it's now working fine it seems!

Well, isn't that always the way it goes... after I place an order for the Corsair Voyager, it now starts working the SOB! Two days in a row now, when I turn car on after an extended period being off, it starts playing the song right where it left off!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
drwtsn32
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435xi, 2016 MB GLA250

I have this problem too... but I'm using a USB hard drive. Sometimes it just starts playing the very first song on the disk. Most of the time it does resume where it left off.

I'm almost due for my first service, so I'll probably have them upgrade the software too. My car was built almost one year ago exactly and has the original software.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #10
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwtsn32 View Post
I have this problem too... but I'm using a USB hard drive. Sometimes it just starts playing the very first song on the disk. Most of the time it does resume where it left off.
Which HD are you using? One of the ones in the list in this post?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #11
TheWhiteStig
Tame Racing Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i Sportline

My 8GB Kingston Data Traveler works great all the time, play back at the same spot from where I left off. It works straight off the shelf (well, I needed to download some songs on it).
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...05&catid=20244
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #12
vadim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Well, isn't that always the way it goes... after I place an order for the Corsair Voyager, it now starts working the SOB! Two days in a row now, when I turn car on after an extended period being off, it starts playing the song right where it left off!
See, you must have scared it! Cancel the order now, but tell it to better keep behaving or else you will reorder a new one and then bye-bye Patriot!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #13
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

I wish... couldn't cancel the order, so I picked it up. The worst part is that this 16 GB Corsair Voyager is actually worse than the Patriot Mini in that it almost never has started playing where it left off... oh well. Going to have to live with it, but it sucks. The store had a stupid 15% restocking fee too, so I couldn't keep returning things!
Appreciate 0