E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > TSA body scanners.

11-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
TSA body scanners.

so i went trough one in denver this weekend. i don't have a problem with them... but many people do. what are your thoughts?

even though i didn't mind and didn't want to make a big deal out of it, i think its a waste of time. and i haven't grown any more limbs from radiation yet.

and a little laugh...

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

hahaahahahahashjkldasjlkasdkl
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

http://www.networkworld.com/columnis...dom-thing.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/29/bu...ia/29carr.html

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

funny vid!

People that make a big deal are just seeking attention imo.. I don't see what's the big deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Hilarious video...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post
People that make a big deal are just seeking attention imo.. I don't see what's the big deal.
How about those commuters who fly every week to work?
      11-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Hilarious video...

How about those commuters who fly every week to work?
Them too, lol jk.. I'm just not a delicate flower
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I think we need fluffers before going through them. I mean, cmon, we would putting thousands of lovely ladies to work, wouldnt we???
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post
big deal is the million milers (or multi million milers)

combined with the fact it's a fucking joke... look at every other country that has FAR worse terrorist problems than we have, and they don't do anything this stupid. It's 100% profit based for the TSA (everyone in the travel industry realizes that they're a joke).

That's at least why I have beef with it, it's not the 'personal space' issue, it's everything else
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

The body scanners remind me of the South Park episode where they found the snuke in Hillary Clinton's sniz.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #10
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
big deal is the million milers (or multi million milers)

combined with the fact it's a fucking joke... look at every other country that has FAR worse terrorist problems than we have, and they don't do anything this stupid. It's 100% profit based for the TSA (everyone in the travel industry realizes that they're a joke).

That's at least why I have beef with it, it's not the 'personal space' issue, it's everything else
.... you stop and think for a second that perhaps we have less problems than other countries due to our stringent policies regarding air travel?

I took 5 flights in the last 8 days. Not once did I feel as if I was being violated or my rights were being trampled on. This was a story about a fucking story that the media blew WAY out of proportion. You don't like someone searching you on security then buy your own fucking plane or drive. You aren't getting on a plane with me without going through the motions. You don't like it find another way to travel. I travel a lot, and it seems to me the people who are complaining are not actually travelers. They are people who are looking for a cause to get behind because they are bored and out of work.... Wait that's right.. our unemployment rate is still just below 10%. Shouldn't that be what we are discussing? Not the luxury of air travel?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #11
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
.... you stop and think for a second that perhaps we have less problems than other countries due to our stringent policies regarding air travel?
Yes I have thought about that and considered it, and then threw it out after talking with people actually in the industry...and reading more about the methods used by the countries where terrorism is a 24/7 REAL threat.
For example, we're so focused on being politically correct and completely tossing out the concept of 'profiling' that we don't use it. Despite the fact it's a completely legitimate method of determining REAL threats.

For example, 4 million mile business man, taking his normal roundtrip from the west coast to the east coast.... vs a muslim with a one way ticket.
Who should be looked at with a more scrutinizing eye?
Granted this is an intense exaggeration, but still my point....
More *training*, less throwing stuff at a wall...

Quote:
I took 5 flights in the last 8 days. Not once did I feel as if I was being violated or my rights were being trampled on. This was a story about a fucking story that the media blew WAY out of proportion. You don't like someone searching you on security then buy your own fucking plane or drive. You aren't getting on a plane with me without going through the motions. You don't like it find another way to travel. I travel a lot, and it seems to me the people who are complaining are not actually travelers. They are people who are looking for a cause to get behind because they are bored and out of work.... Wait that's right.. our unemployment rate is still just below 10%. Shouldn't that be what we are discussing? Not the luxury of air travel?
I do agree with you here, very good points.

However again *my* particular problem with this, is not the invasion of privacy, nor even anything related to the travelling itself...it's more a mis-use of government funds which could be more suited towards providing some help towards the economy/our situation. Have you see the price tag of these machines? Do you know the number of TSA employees that exist, and the average salary for them? (hint don't google the TSA, the numbers will at first appear to be a lot less than what ACTUALLY exists)

Last edited by Freakazoid; 11-30-2010 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #12
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

If you do not travel much probably not much of an issue. However, there are many people who travel lots and I am not sure if you want to be radiated day in and day out. What I think most people have an issue with are the tactics they are using to force people to go through the scanner, it is let them feel your junk or do not get on the plane.

They claim there is no harm in this, however, the government has said this about a number of things in the past and they were wrong. Do you want to stake your life on them telling the truth here. There is no way to know if these are truly safe until years have past and we see what happens.

Do you really think these TSA agents want to spend their day feeling people's junk, well maybe the guys will like feeling up women but you can bet that will create a whole another issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #13
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

Quote:

all i see here is blah blah.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #14
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthi32 View Post
listen to him NYC, he knows what he is talking about when terrorism is the topic
      11-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #15
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
listen to him NYC, he knows what he is talking about when terrorism is the topic
ghost will find other ways to smuggle explosives onto airplanes?

Quote:
confused...

Do you disagree with TSA's treatment of passengers? It wasn't clear whether you saw blah blah because you think the topic is stupid or you are a libertarian who believes your rights are being violated.

Or were you just in the mood to make a completely useless comment, for the sake of some fleeting moment of attention?

Last edited by NYCGarbagePrince; 11-30-2010 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #16
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep

Quote:
ghost will find other ways to smuggle explosives onto airplanes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
fu both lol

i said blah blah cause i know you would get annoyed nyc lol
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #17
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep

Quote:
fu both lol

i said blah blah cause i know you would get annoyed nyc lol
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #18
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep

LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #19
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
tsa agents should profile people.

flame suit ON
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #20
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post

flame suit ON
that means ill be searched all the time...

my american passport says i was born in iran....
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #21
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post

flame suit ON
Real profiling is not "Muslim men on one way tickets". It is behavior based and is applied by competent, well trained security professionals. It can be effective, but it is not easy and it is not cheap since you have to retain quality people.

The American TSA is a joke, almost third world like (and I spend a lot of time in third world countries). A large number of the agents are either poorly trained or untrainable, lacking both skills and situational awareness. The system as applied in front of the traveling public is little more than theater.

If you are worried about explosives you get dogs, period. Unless of course you are using public fear to generate sales of expensive equipment, in which case you do what the United States is doing.

As for the risks of the equipment itself; if there is none why does the TSA prohibit its employees from wearing dosimeters? The lady who cleans my teeth has one, as does every other employee in the dental office. But the TSA employees, standing all day next to X-ray equipment, do not.

I will take German security over American any day. In fact most of Europe, with the exception of the UK, is better at this than we are. And a key part of that is having agents who are not acting like thugs and can in turn keep the process relaxed, which lets the behavioral aspect come to the forefront.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #22
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
im not talking about racial profiling. thanks for understanding ^^
Appreciate 0