E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Don't do it!!

10-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #45
ctt335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i 6A

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeylipz View Post
What made you get an MDX over an X5 because I'm in the market for an SUV right now too.
I took a 2011 X5 35d for a weekend test drive and I liked it. However, it was considerably more expensive. Plus, the MDX was 90% as good on the road and it really came down to the more "worry free" choice. You really can't get much better reliability projections than the MDX (arguably a Lexus RX is just as good reliability-wise but much smaller and left a lot to be desired in the handling department). Like most BMWs, the X5 just felt more fragile and high-maintenance... fussy. The ride in "comfort" mode in the MDX is considerably smoother. When considering a car for kid duty, the MDX seemed like the interior would hold up a lot better. I wanted something that was nice but something that I wouldn't worry about dings and scuffs. Not to mention, with the price of diesel these days, the fuel economy difference was negligible in $ terms. If you do a little research, you'll find that the MDX wins almost every luxury SUV comparison because it gives up very little to rivals. All-in-all, I felt like the MDX will go for 200K+ miles with no issues, just feels solid. Also, the MDX will fit three car seats with latch connectors across the second row seat. I also really liked the technology you get with the Advance package: Magnetorheological suspension, adaptive cruise, great looking 19s, cooled seats, bluetooth audio, XM traffic, power lift-gate, blind-spot warning and the best sound system I have ever experienced in a vehicle. Getting all that in an X5 ticks too many additional charge boxes as added up to serious cake. It will also tow 5000 lbs so I can haul my boat short distances. It was an easy choice for $50Kish. Took the MDX with the whole family for a weekend trip to the mountains this weekend... very happy with my choice. Averaged 19.8 mpg of premium on a mix of twisty mountain roads and highway.

Would the E90 have been more fun in the twisties?.. for sure, but we would have never made it with all the gear. Sometimes you make sacrifices for your family... if you call buying a $50K luxury SUV a sacrifice. I'm very fortunate and feel guilty even typing that.

Hope that helps!