E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Cables/sensors destroyed after running over debris.

12-21-2022, 07:05 PM   #1
RedFive0
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 50i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Cables/sensors destroyed after running over debris.

Good evening. To make a long story short, while traveling home on the freeway a semi blew out a tire. I was in middle lane with a car on either side of me and couldn't avoid the shredded tire tread. As a result, it destroyed the front undercarriage cover to the mid section of the car. Later, the car went into limp mode. Checked underneath and saw the disaster in the attached pics. Attached are also the error codes I'm receiving (unsure what's related). Does anyone know what I'm looking at here? Vehicle is a 2010 335d. Thank you!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-22-2022, 06:17 AM   #2
392Hemi
Rep
Drives: e39 e90

1. Add me on snap
2. God DAMN
3. Cables all replaceable?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 10:17 PM   #3
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D, V-10 Touareg Diesel

RedFive0 - From your pictures it looks like you have one electric plug disconnected and a wire harness damaged. Your codes are fuel rail pressure sensor and steering angle sensor.
The way I would tackle this would be to first repair the wire harness. Pull the covering off and repair the broken wires. The last picture looks like there is a broken green wire. Repair all broken wires of the harness first.
Next, I would look at the fuel rail sensor to see if a wire connector is plugged into it. I think the fuel rail pressure sensor is at the top of the engine on back side of the engine near the firewall. Look to see if there is a wire plugged into the fuel rail sensor. If there is no wire connected to the sensor then this is probably it. See if the wire that is hanging down plugs into the rail sensor.

If the plug hanging down does not go into the fuel rail sensor, stretch the wire in all directions including up and see if you can locate an electrical connector that does not have something plugged in to it. Car manufacturers do not add much if any slack to their wires so look for a plug that is about as far as the loose wire can reach.
When you repair the broken wires and plug in the unplugged electrical connection, there is a good chance you would have repaired your problems.
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2022, 10:29 PM   #4
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D, V-10 Touareg Diesel

I looked at your pictures again and see that the wire harness is broken in two. Find the other end and splice new wires in to reconnect both ends of all broken wires. I would solder new wires instead of using compression fittings. Make sure the new wires are at least as large as the original wires. If you have not repaired a wire harness before, It is easier to add an few inches or so of extra wire than to try make it barely long enough. You can always tie the wires up after the harness is fixed so it doesn't hang down. It will probably take you a couple of hours to repair the harness. The good news is that your repairs appear to be time intensive instead of cost intensive. If you already have the wire and soldering equipment, then it is a no cost repair. If not, then you will probably end up spending $60 to $100 purchasing a soldering iron, solder, flux, wire, electrical tape, and heat shrink tubing. Soldering is not hard. Make sure to buy lead solder and electrical flux. Keep in mind flux is your friend.

Last edited by Tomnavigator; 12-22-2022 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 2