E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > swapping n57 to m57

01-14-2023, 08:50 AM   #1
dartmooras
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 335i N54 e92 330d n57

Arrow swapping n57 to m57

Hi guys, i have bmw e92 330d n57 engine, planning to swap it to 330d m57 , does anybody done this kind of swap? Im intrested also in m57 to n57 swap. Want to know all tips what should i need before i start doing this.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 07:53 AM   #2
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Forgive my ignorance as it’s been quite a while since I was active here, but I’m curious: what would be the point of that swap? Is it just that you have a blown engine and the n57 is available?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 03:18 PM   #3
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 Lci, Vectra B V6

Quite a lot of bolt on bits are different, and obviously the management system.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 10:45 AM   #4
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
Forgive my ignorance as it’s been quite a while since I was active here, but I’m curious: what would be the point of that swap? Is it just that you have a blown engine and the n57 is available?
To have an engine that doesn't eat chains and CP4s?
      02-13-2023, 01:03 PM   #5
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

That's a bit dramatic isn't it. One chain per 100k miles and a pump per 150k miles is hardly that bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 08:53 AM   #6
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andystobbs View Post
That's a bit dramatic isn't it. One chain per 100k miles and a pump per 150k miles is hardly that bad.
You're trolling us right? Chains are an engine out service or a trans drop at a min. CP4 will take your ENTIRE fuel system along with it.
      02-14-2023, 01:35 PM   #7
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

I'm sorry you've lost me already. I state a milage which would be a suitable service interval for those items and you proceed to tell me about doing the job itself. Got to love the way you yanks roll out the word trolling at any hint of a factual statement that you happen to take objection to. Lets face it you haven't even disagreed with my milage estimates.

A HPFP that is replaced before it dies does not even 'take out the entire fuel system'.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 02:36 PM   #8
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry you've lost me already. I state a milage which would be a suitable service interval for those items and you proceed to tell me about doing the job itself. Got to love the way you yanks roll out the word trolling at any hint of a factual statement that you happen to take objection to. Lets face it you haven't even disagreed with my milage estimates.

A HPFP that is replaced before it dies does not even 'take out the entire fuel system'.

First off, not a yank. Second, your mileage estimates tells me you know nothing (or very little) about these engines to suggest a 100k timing chain interval 'Isn't really a big deal' or you've got more money then brains I really don't know which one it is.

It's an engine out service or like I've already stated a trans drop at a min. You wanna take a guess at what this would cost you? Also HPFPs shouldn't require replacement at any mileage to be honest (Well except those garbage CP4s that the N57 has)..

Hopefully now you've got a better understanding as to why the OP wants to swap from a N57 to a M57.
      02-14-2023, 03:04 PM   #9
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

My mistake. Clearly you just act American. How many of these jobs have you been involved in?

Did I mention I own a garage in the UK where diesel is very popular and I've probably done more N47/57 timing chains than you've had hot meals mate. We charge £1400 ish for a set of chains, bit more for an X drive as thats real mans work dropping the whole engine and transmission together.

Everything requires replacing eventually you fool. This forum exists because of that.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 09:13 AM   #10
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
My mistake. Clearly you just act American. How many of these jobs have you been involved in?

Did I mention I own a garage in the UK where diesel is very popular and I've probably done more N47/57 timing chains than you've had hot meals mate. We charge £1400 ish for a set of chains, bit more for an X drive as thats real mans work dropping the whole engine and transmission together.

Everything requires replacing eventually you fool. This forum exists because of that.
I'm sure you have, I'm also sure you've done more N47/N57 chains then M57s

You should tell all the guys with mega miles on their M57s with original chains and CP3s that their vehicles are about to explode. Is this a scare tactic you use with your customer base?

This is an enthusiast site, stay a while and maybe take a peak at a few different forums, you'll eventually realize we aren't here merely because shit breaks. Typical mechanic bullshit.
      02-15-2023, 09:54 AM   #11
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
I'm sure you have, I'm also sure you've done more N47/N57 chains then M57s

You should tell all the guys with mega miles on their M57s with original chains and CP3s that their vehicles are about to explode. Is this a scare tactic you use with your customer base?

This is an enthusiast site, stay a while and maybe take a peak at a few different forums, you'll eventually realize we aren't here merely because shit breaks. Typical mechanic bullshit.
Did you know that chains fail on the M57? And fuel pumps. Hell, some of them even get cracked pistons!

Nx7 chains are nothing to worry about. You get plenty miles and plenty of warning before they give up. And then they can be replaced on a driveway if you're keen.

I certainly wouldn't be thinking of replacing an N engine with an M engine just because the former has a bad rep with chains and pumps. As AS says, everything breaks eventually.

I've done chains on an N47 myself (full engine and trans out, no lift), and my M57 still has swirl flaps in it...I just replaced them because the 140k mile old ones were leaking oil down the block.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 10:19 AM   #12
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Did you know that chains fail on the M57? And fuel pumps. Hell, some of them even get cracked pistons!

Nx7 chains are nothing to worry about. You get plenty miles and plenty of warning before they give up. And then they can be replaced on a driveway if you're keen.

I certainly wouldn't be thinking of replacing an N engine with an M engine just because the former has a bad rep with chains and pumps. As AS says, everything breaks eventually.

I've done chains on an N47 myself (full engine and trans out, no lift), and my M57 still has swirl flaps in it...I just replaced them because the 140k mile old ones were leaking oil down the block.
Of course chains fail on the M57, is it an epidemic like the N57? Not even in the same realm. An M57 with proper maintenance should rarely if ever require chains or the CP3 to be replaced. It's too bad BMW dropped the ball with the N47/57. Let's hope the B47/57 doesn't meet the same fate.
      02-17-2023, 04:17 PM   #13
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D, V-10 Touareg Diesel

Andystobbs - You stated you own a shop and have done a bunch of chains and fuel pumps. I have a 2010 335d (M57) and am curious about how long these items typically last. What is the typical (average) mileage the vehicles have on them when they are brought to you for replacement of either the timing chain or high pressure fuel pump. Please give the typical mileage for each item separately and state if your numbers are in kilometers or miles. I plan on keeping my 335d to at least 200,000 miles (322,500 km) and don't expect to replace either item. Am I being realistic or dreaming to expect to drive this distance without either repair. I know sh*t happens and either could go out tomorrow. Just want to know what typical life of these components can be expected. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Tomnavigator; 02-17-2023 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: add details
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 12:59 PM   #14
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

I'd have to say the 335d wasn't sold in great volumes here in the UK. Vast majority of E9x were 2.0D N47.
Plenty of the M47 engined BMWs are long since in the scrapyards. There's probably more m57 left in range rovers or landrover conversions than in bmw's now.

The situation car wise in the UK is so strange, we had the scrapage scheme campaign which prematurely took so many good middle aged cars off the road and now finance is so readily available and everyone only too happy to get into debt for a depreciating box on wheels that very few average Joe's run the older bmw's.

I'd say the majority of the M57 cars get scrapped before the engine suffers a catastrophic issue - due to old age and the things outlined above.
But thats exactly the same case for the N57, with maybe the GDI petrol engines and N47 failing catastrophically before the rest of the car is worn out and actually putting those cars on the scrap heap.

That said the N47 if serviced regularly is still a 200k mile engine, with a timing chain at 100k mile.

Vast majority of the M57 stuff was injector failures, of course the swirl flaps, vacuum hoses rubbing through, air flow meters, turbo's etc.
Appreciate 1