E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E90 Quick Release Steering Wheel

07-23-2018, 10:49 PM   #1
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Pre-LCI Monaco Blue

E90 Quick Release Steering Wheel

Update:. Just FYI cus there is little no information out there for installing an aftermarket quick release system.
You can find hubs all over the internet for sale for E36 E90 E91 etc. But no information is out there regarding installation and issues that might arise. DSC/Yellow Brake Light/No Traction Control /Airbag light.
The different years use different resistance for single stage and dual stage airbags. I messed around with different ohms of resistors trying to figure out if it was a 2.3 ohm or 3.3 ohm because what I got with the hub was a fuse not resistors.

3.3Ohm is key at 1/2 watt. I wired 4 10ohm 1/2 watt resistors in parrallel as my local Fry's Electronics did not have a single 3.3ohm 1/2watt resistors.

If you were like me you probably messed up the steering angle sensor as far as calibration. I hat the 3 lights for DSC BRAKE and Traction Control. I moved the clockspring a little on the install and thhrew my sensor out of whack. I tried doing the steering wheel left for a couple seconds right couple seconds blah blah didn't work. I ended up using Tool32 and loading DSC_87.prg I believe it was to reset the steering angle sensor to 0 with the wheels as straight A's possible on the ground. Once finished which (I did have Airbag lights on) I used inpa to clear all codes.

No more Christmas tree!

I'm not too fond of airbags anyways and it would take me litterally 20 -30 minutes to get the original wheel back on with the airbag. I didn't use the multifunction buttons on the steering wheel anyways. Oh yeah that's the only code showing up in errors left but I plug the multifunction in with original wheel it goes right off.

Now I can change my steering wheels as much as I change my shoes. Craigslist and OfferUp I can pick them up here in socal for under 50$ on used ones and decent at that

What was done:
Installed a hub with a NRG quick release and 280mm wheel. Horn and SRS Light was taken care of.

Problem:
DSC/ABS light on due to no wheel angle sensor installed I am assuming.

Anyone have a work around or no a viable option to make this work to get the DSC ABS ETC lights gone. I do not really feel like the car is in limp mode or anything but I am thinking DSC and ABS are probably not functioning.

Any input would be appreciated.

P.S. I have done a good amount of research and few posts comes up in regards on options with aftermarket steering wheels. Most go with M Sport Wheels etc. Seems like people either think its too ricey or scared. I do not want to go M Sport route and its just a preference to have a quick release for viable/comfort reasons on my behalf.

Last edited by Doesha; 07-29-2018 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Success
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
McLeanSC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe Sport

Hi mate. I'm just about to do the same thing as you and looking for some clarification on your post.

I have a NRG short wheel hub and a Works Bell Rapfix 2 quick release and I believe for the NRG hub to fit I need to remove the steering angle sensor as you did.

In order to pass inspection I want to avoid the DSC/ABS error codes showing up and was wondering how you did this? You mention using resistors, was this to solve the airbag light problem or was it to solve the DSC/ABS lights? Or both? I'm not too clued up on electronics so any advice would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 01:44 AM   #3
BigT786
Tahir
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 M3

Garage List
2010 Bmw m3 e9x  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doesha View Post
Update:. Just FYI cus there is little no information out there for installing an aftermarket quick release system.
You can find hubs all over the internet for sale for E36 E90 E91 etc. But no information is out there regarding installation and issues that might arise. DSC/Yellow Brake Light/No Traction Control /Airbag light.
The different years use different resistance for single stage and dual stage airbags. I messed around with different ohms of resistors trying to figure out if it was a 2.3 ohm or 3.3 ohm because what I got with the hub was a fuse not resistors.

3.3Ohm is key at 1/2 watt. I wired 4 10ohm 1/2 watt resistors in parrallel as my local Fry's Electronics did not have a single 3.3ohm 1/2watt resistors.

If you were like me you probably messed up the steering angle sensor as far as calibration. I hat the 3 lights for DSC BRAKE and Traction Control. I moved the clockspring a little on the install and thhrew my sensor out of whack. I tried doing the steering wheel left for a couple seconds right couple seconds blah blah didn't work. I ended up using Tool32 and loading DSC_87.prg I believe it was to reset the steering angle sensor to 0 with the wheels as straight A's possible on the ground. Once finished which (I did have Airbag lights on) I used inpa to clear all codes.

No more Christmas tree!

I'm not too fond of airbags anyways and it would take me litterally 20 -30 minutes to get the original wheel back on with the airbag. I didn't use the multifunction buttons on the steering wheel anyways. Oh yeah that's the only code showing up in errors left but I plug the multifunction in with original wheel it goes right off.

Now I can change my steering wheels as much as I change my shoes. Craigslist and OfferUp I can pick them up here in socal for under 50$ on used ones and decent at that

What was done:
Installed a hub with a NRG quick release and 280mm wheel. Horn and SRS Light was taken care of.

Problem:

Anyone have a work around or no a viable option to make this work to get the DSC ABS ETC lights gone. I do not really feel like the car is in limp mode or anything but I am thinking DSC and ABS are probably not functioning.

P.S. I have done a good amount of research and few posts comes up in regards on options with aftermarket steering wheels. Most go with M Sport Wheels etc. Seems like people either think its too ricey or scared. I do not want to go M Sport route and its just a preference to have a quick release for viable/comfort reasons on my behalf.
Quote:

No more Christmas tree!

[IMG]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...729_093218.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3..._Instagram.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...729_093148.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...719_134336.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3..._Instagram.jpg[/IMG]

What was done:

Problem:

Possible chance you can modify an aftermarket OEM style steering wheel to work as a quick release. I been thinking if I modify the airbag button then it will disconnect each time I release the steering without activating the airbag. Some milling would be needed on the boss kit on both ends. Anyone ever tried it?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 08:18 PM   #4
E90_slides
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 325i 6MT

Quote:

No more Christmas tree!

What was done:

Problem:

If my math is correct, 4 10ohm resistors in parallel adds up to 2.5 ohm…. not 3.3ohm
Appreciate 0