E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Help from My Delete Brothers - DEF Tank Needed..Probably

01-20-2023, 12:24 AM   #1
Marin_Oil_Burner
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans Blue 335d M-sport

Help from My Delete Brothers - DEF Tank Needed..Probably

He Y'all,

I have about 125k on my 335d Msport and have run into the dreaded DEF tank/pump issues. I have the 4804 and 474C codes. I've re-filled the DEF tank and the codes went away, but came back about a week later. It's been raining a lot here so I couldn't tell if I had a leak in the DEF tank, but the other day it was dry and I noticed when I drove away from the curb, there was a streak of liquid on the road. I managed to capture this pic. I think it is roughly where the active tank is located. The liquid was dripping off the shield. The liquid was slippery, but I didn't notice an ammonia smell, so i think it was DEF.

In any case, I'm having my shop do a smoke test to see if it was one of the lines, but if it was the tank and there was a crack, I'm a bit screwed. Here is the ask....if anyone has an active tank in good shape left over from a delete, I'd be interested. Please DM me.

Of course some will say, why don't I delete....I'm in CA, so a bit stuck. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
POBEP364.00
      01-20-2023, 09:57 AM   #2
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

North American BMW Owners group on Facebook. Someone will probably give you one for free.
      01-20-2023, 12:22 PM   #3
Marin_Oil_Burner
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans Blue 335d M-sport

Yeah, good suggestion I'll post there. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 03:05 AM   #4
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Marin_Oil_Burner - unlikely for the tank to leak.

The 4804 code is a clear sign of DEF pump struggling to maintain line pressure (which has nothing to do with tank integrity)
What is likely to fail is a nipple on the delivery module (DEF pump).
It first start to leak like yours, then within short amount of time/mileage fails completely and spills DEF like crazy.
The nipple is not repairable - you'll need replacement pump.

I just finished pump replacement for my E90 - nearly identical symptoms.

You still will need to remove bumper/exhaust and entire DEF tank to clean up mess, verify issue and, likely, replace the pump

Overall simple DIY, just a lot of steps.
The hardest part is to get bumper unclipped.
Everything else is super easy.
I did it all on 4 jack stands without any special tools.

I got used pump from a member in this forum.
Another option is a new Bosch unit from FCP.

Also, I recommend verifying DEF Mixer placement in the front exhaust section.
It is unrelated to the issue you seeing, but has 50:50 chance that is it not installed correctly.
Mine was placed in reverse by "genius" certified technicians of BMW San Rafael who replaced DEF tank under warranty, but failed to replaced pump.
I also suspect that DEF pump nipple was damaged due to improper re-assembly.

Last edited by POBEP; 01-23-2023 at 03:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2023, 06:24 PM   #5
Strictlybusiness335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

I'd have to agree with it being either the nipple or the metering line connection at the nipple. With that being said, the nipple is repairable here's a link for a replacement.

https://xemodex.com/us/product/bmw-d...t-replacement/

I also wouldn't drop the exhaust or any of that, I'd go in through the trunk it's MUCH simpler and gives you direct access to the pump, nipple, lines etc etc. It's like 10 10mm nuts and then you have to grind/cut out out center of the 2 circle mounts on the trunk plate and it will pop right up. When you're all done tap and thread holes into those mounts so you can bolt it together the plate helps hold up the tank.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2023, 09:48 AM   #6
nonford
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, 2019 X3

Mine was leaking like that and it was a bad o-ring on the pump. Yea, you dont need to drop the exhaust completely. Remove the trunk cover plate, it'll all stare you in the face and easy access.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2023, 09:27 PM   #7
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

A couple entries above confused me.
The access panel can be removed without grinding/cutting anything to see top of tanks, pumps, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 09:31 AM   #8
MidWillamette335d
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
A couple entries above confused me.
lol, you're not the only one. I think just dropping the exhaust (6 bolts I think, 2 on each sleeve, 1 on each hanger...), then the heat shield (to access the nuts that are holding the tank up....the same nuts that are attached the welded studs on the panel) would be a much wiser move, and probably less time consuming all said and done. I think you'll end up hating yourself if you went another route. That being said, if someone has successfully done the grind method post up some pics of the end result!
      02-27-2023, 10:59 AM   #9
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWillamette335d View Post
lol, you're not the only one. I think just dropping the exhaust (6 bolts I think, 2 on each sleeve, 1 on each hanger...), then the heat shield (to access the nuts that are holding the tank up....the same nuts that are attached the welded studs on the panel) would be a much wiser move, and probably less time consuming all said and done. I think you'll end up hating yourself if you went another route. That being said, if someone has successfully done the grind method post up some pics of the end result!
I agree with MidWillamette335d - exhaust drop, even full removal "sounds" like a big job, but it is not. In fact, it is quite simple and fast.

Exhaust drop and complete tank removal provides an opportunity to wash DEF tank (and guts) outside and flush internals with distilled water.

Having said above, DEF tank removal needs rear bumper to come out.
There are lots of screws to unfasten, but not rocket science either