E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > 2BDE fuel high pressure shadow code

02-21-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
Chmilar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi FBO

2BDE fuel high pressure shadow code

so I'm getting this shadow code

2BDE Fuel high pressure on enabling of injection: pressure to low.

can't find much online about it

I have what I consider longer then normal cold starts and a little hesitation when I hit the gas. HPFP drops about 2-400 psi when I first hit the gas

anyone else experience. Hpfp going out ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chmilar View Post

I have what I consider longer then normal cold starts and a little hesitation when I hit the gas. HPFP drops about 2-400 psi when I first hit the gas

I get the exact same codes. I have a newer hpfp and lpfp. The only response from the MHD guys is to reset your adaptations which doesn't fix anything. Hopefully it will get worked out in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
Chmilar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boost View Post
Quote:

I get the exact same codes. I have a newer hpfp and lpfp. The only response from the MHD guys is to reset your adaptations which doesn't fix anything. Hopefully it will get worked out in the future.
How's your cold starts. any indication if HPFP going out? I reset adaptations quite often and it does nothing
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Chevrolegs

Garage List
2011 335i xdrive  [10.00]
I started to throw this code while experiencing long cranks (3-4) before it would start. I replaced the hpfp which resolved both the long cranks and 2BDE code.
Appreciate 2
      02-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #5
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How's your cold starts. any indication if HPFP going out? I reset adaptations quite often and it does nothing
I had long cranks periodically before the new hpfp and lpfp, and I still have them today.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
Boo$ted_in_ri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Had the same code with a few others. Replaced my hpfp and now it’s running great. Had the long cranks and car was running terrible under full throttle. Resetting adaptations won’t fix the problem long term if at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #7
Chmilar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo$ted_in_ri View Post
Had the same code with a few others. Replaced my hpfp and now it’s running great. Had the long cranks and car was running terrible under full throttle. Resetting adaptations won’t fix the problem long term if at all.
were you getting timing corrections at WOT ?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #8
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Also curious about this. I have the shadow code and very long cold starts along with timing corrections on almost all of my tunes.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #9
Chmilar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
Quote:
Also curious about this. I have the shadow code and very long cold starts along with timing corrections on almost all of my tunes.
this is my exact issue man. even threw in e85 to test with same issues as I figured it was octane. (but it did help ) wondering if this code is because of HPFP. And HPFP is causing my timing corrections
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #10
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
this is my exact issue man. even threw in e85 to test with same issues as I figured it was octane. (but it did help ) wondering if this code is because of HPFP. And HPFP is causing my timing corrections
I have been chasing down this issue since I purchased the car to no avail. Anytime it is below 50 degrees and the car has been sitting for more than 3 hours it will experience a long crank. I have tried priming the fuel pump twice (unlocking car, opening door, closing door, locking car) and pressing the ignition before starting the car (manual) but neither of those help the issue. In these conditions the car will either take 5 seconds or more to start on the first crank, or will continue to crank until I press the button once again to stop it, and one more time to restart it. On the second crank it ALWAYS fires up immediately.

All of my logs show signs of normal fuel pressure and nothing out of the ordinary. I work at a BMW dealer and have tried multiple times to get the pump to throw a code to get a fuel pump partly covered under extended warranty. The only thing I see is the shadow code. I have yet to test and see if there are timing corrections on my stock map, but they are present in every version of my custom 92 octane map, as well as in the MHD OTS maps.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #11
vespa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Has anyone ever figured out what a "shadow code" is? I asked MHD but they wouldn't say. It seems odd that somehow MHD is able to read codes that can't be seen by ISTA, yet MHD doesn't know what they are reading, why, or how.

And this probably isn't the best thread for this, but has anyone ever seen a car *without* this "shadow code"?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #12
Chmilar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
Has anyone ever figured out what a "shadow code" is? I asked MHD but they wouldn't say. It seems odd that somehow MHD is able to read codes that can't be seen by ISTA, yet MHD doesn't know what they are reading, why, or how.

And this probably isn't the best thread for this, but has anyone ever seen a car *without* this "shadow code"?
i was advised by another member that after replacing his HPFP the code went away and car went back to Normal.

but it's super annoying not knowing for sure if this code is causing issues
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #13
Boo$ted_in_ri
Private First Class
Rep

My car had all these symptoms. Sometimes under full throttle my fuel pressure would be on point and other times the car would skip and bog down. Long cranks and no check engine light just shadow codes. Due to the hpfp actin up it messed with my pre cat 02 sensor. The senor is in charge of long term fuel trims and cold starts. So once I replaced both my car has been 100% since.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #14
Boo$ted_in_ri
Private First Class
Rep

If all you have are shadow codes for hpfp like I had and fuel pressure, I hate to tell you but your hpfp is going out the door.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #15
Chmilar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
If all you have are shadow codes for hpfp like I had and fuel pressure, I hate to tell you but your hpfp is going out the door.
So. hpfp shadow code. long cranks and hesitation when hitting the throttle. it's safe to say HPFP ?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 01:30 PM   #16
Boo$ted_in_ri
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So. hpfp shadow code. long cranks and hesitation when hitting the throttle. it's safe to say HPFP ?
Very safe to say it’s the hpfp. I had all these signs everyone is saying above. And even threw a half engine light and had reduced power. Reset codes and adaptations and it went away but the symptoms stayed. I went through the dealer for the part it was 1250$ with a 400$ core so 850$ once my old one was out. Certain things I don’t care how “oem” they are I’ll always go to the dealer for.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #17
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Very safe to say it’s the hpfp. I had all these signs everyone is saying above. And even threw a half engine light and had reduced power. Reset codes and adaptations and it went away but the symptoms stayed. I went through the dealer for the part it was 1250$ with a 400$ core so 850$ once my old one was out. Certain things I don’t care how “oem” they are I’ll always go to the dealer for.
When's the last time you checked your codes? I had HPFP replaced by the dealership and still get those codes...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #18
Boo$ted_in_ri
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
When's the last time you checked your codes? I had HPFP replaced by the dealership and still get those codes...
Been checking everyday put the new pump in a week ago. No codes or problems. Did you reset all your adaptations wants the pump was in
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #19
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Been checking everyday put the new pump in a week ago. No codes or problems. Did you reset all your adaptations wants the pump was in
Yes I've reset adaptations and cleared all modules. Please keep us posted if the codes come back.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #20
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

My dilemma is in regards to having a "real" code pop up for the HPFP. BMW's diag software doesn't pull anything up related to the shadow code that MHD is showing. If my car was throwing a code for the HPFP I would have it replaced already, but I really don't want to replace it fully out of pocket if there is a potential I can get most of it goodwill'd.

How is it possible that MHD can see this code yet BMW's software cant?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 08:50 PM   #21
Chmilar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
My car had all these symptoms. Sometimes under full throttle my fuel pressure would be on point and other times the car would skip and bog down. Long cranks and no check engine light just shadow codes. Due to the hpfp actin up it messed with my pre cat 02 sensor. The senor is in charge of long term fuel trims and cold starts. So once I replaced both my car has been 100% since.
Did you experience timing corrections at all with the bad hpfp. Did they correct after new pump ?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 09:17 PM   #22
Boo$ted_in_ri
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Did you experience timing corrections at all with the bad hpfp. Did they correct after new pump ?
To be honest I never logged a pull after my car sputtered when I got on it hard. I was afraid to damage the motor with the lack of fuel. I saw the shadow codes come up and just replaced the pump.
Appreciate 0