E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 Engine Build/Replacement

01-18-2023, 12:18 PM   #1
svagusta
Rep
Drives: 335i

N55 Engine Build/Replacement

Guess I should have listened to the warnings about rod bearings. Haven't confirmed that's what failed yet, but my car is knocking now and it looks like a new engine is in my future.

I've only owned the car for a cpl years, and it is just a weekend/fun car for me that I plan on keeping a long time. It was someone else's project for ~20k miles: Pure Stg 2, TBI, meth, even had a race gas tune - so I know it's been through a lot and that I might wind up here someday.

So now that I have to get a new motor anyway, the question is, what makes sense to do while the engines out? Both for maintenance and performance (if anything)

Maintenance (Is this a good list?)
Gaskets: Valve Cover, Oil Pain, OFHG, Intake manifold, Exhaust manifold.
Injector seals, Vacuum lines, turbo lines, oil cooler

Performance
What power levels are forged crankshaft, rods, pistons recommended?

I'm very happy with current PS2 & ethanol ~450whp. 90% chance I leave it here forever.
But I could see myself maybe being tempted in the future (whenever PS2 goes out) to upgrade to docrace or speedtech kit and Port Injection with an ultra conservative tune (would still be limited by 6AT, as i refuse to go MT)
Appreciate 0