E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Various error codes. 140k 335i n54 2007 HELP :-(

08-05-2017, 08:20 AM   #1
fozzydj
DIYer, 335i N54 lover
Rep
Drives: N54 BMW 355i SE 2007, 148,000

Unhappy Various error codes. 140k 335i n54 2007 HELP :-(

Hi all,

Really could do with some help here (or reassurance!). I've hooked up my 335i 07 n54 to the computer and found a whole host of fault codes - funny thing is other than a rough idle it runs fine so I had no suspicions anything was wrong.

I hooked the computer up to try and diagnose the ABS,DTC parking brake lights - crossing my fingers and hoping it was a speed sensor. I'm fully prepared to have to rejouv the ABS pump however, now I've found all these codes that's kinda took a back seat.

What would be great if anyone could advise if certain codes are connected maybe and there's 1 (or a few) primary things that could resolve them.

I'll give you the history of the car so you all know the ful picture:

I'm the 2nd owner, bought at 82k.

Previous owner installed (and still present):

Bilstein B3 suspension kit
Alcon front big brakes
Upgraded intercooler
Procede rev3 running stock, 370 and 410 maps.

I've owned her for 3 years now and its just gone 140k. I perform regular oil top ups/services (7 litres new and new filter), I've just done a soak and scrub inlet clean (at approx 138k) with brake cleaner and wire brushes. That seemed to improve the overall running of the car.

Its always had a "rough idle". rev needle jumping slightly, and a little stumble (miss) very occasionally.

Its also had (what I assume to be) the waste gate problem. So from cold if I accelerate hard it throws a limp mode and i get a flashing engine man light. When I turn engine off, back on it clears and once oil temp reaches 90+ it can be driven hard with no problems. I guessed the CAN clear function on the procede is keeping these codes hidden. I've meant to sort this but with it being quite a big, expensive job, I've kinda let her warm up to avoid the problem.

So as mentioned earlier I also have the ABS, DTC parking brake lights on which I suspect is the pump but it still drives fine and now I've found the below codes I'm not really sure where to go/what to deal with next!

Here's the list - there where 64 in total, a lot duplicates of the below and some I cant seem to find any information on?

I love my car and really don't want to get rid, however I have a big family and money is definitely ans object - I cant afford to throw thousands of pounds at it, nor o I want to. It owes me quite a lot already and isn't really worth that much (if it was running fine).

P0102 mass or volume air flow a circuit low
C0402 dtc also pending
P0302 cylinder 2 misfire detected
C0600 air leak
P0502 vehicle speed sensor a circuit low
P0902 clutch actuator circuit low
P0B02 aux transmission fluid pump
P0D01 not found?
P0E01 not found?
C0200 not found?
P0170 fuel trim bank 1
U30B7
C1A2C dtc also pending
P0702 transmission control system
C1AB0 not found?
C1A51 not found?
U30B7

This is why I love it, what a beauty!

Any thoughts/advice would be really appreciated :-)

Regards,

Neal
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 11:35 PM   #2
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2

Sorry, don't know. I'll lead with that.

What tool are you using to get the codes? I'd recommed INPA to get the BMW-specific ones. What you have is a little confusing and could be misleading. I'd also start by deleting everything and taking a nice drive and checking again. I had a situation where I had a bunch of codes and long story short, most ended up clearing.

Based on the recent valve work, I'd want to ensure everything got put back right and there are no vacuum leaks. And a fully charged battery.

Regarding the DSC, I just replaced the ECU, not a difficult job. Replacing the entire system (valves plus ECU) would actually be easier. You'll need INPA, NCS and/or ISTA for this unless you keep your old ECU.

My first troubleshooting step would be to get INPA up and running, delete everything and see what comes back. Good luck. PM me if you end up pursuing replacing the DSC module and want a hand.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
LYEGUY
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver E92 335

I agree with the poster above, a lot of those codes could be "Ghost Codes" or codes that where a problem one time or another but are no longer a problem. I would clear all of the codes and see which ones come back, than worry about diagnosing the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 01:12 PM   #4
fozzydj
DIYer, 335i N54 lover
Rep

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

I did come to the above list of fault codes via a iCarSoft tool that isnt at all BMW focussed.

Ive had the car hooked up to a simpler machine in the past (after I replaced a faulty knock sensor under the inlet manifold) due to a engine light, fault read only a single code an realised Id forgotten to connect the sensor under the charge pipe, reconnected this and no codes at all - so I was astonished to find 64 codes the other day.

Ive been toying up purchasing the BMW software from ebay and a usb cable to read through, would this do the job?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #5
fozzydj
DIYer, 335i N54 lover
Rep

Bmw ista-d / ista p software and a inpa k + dcan cable - is that the kit I need?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #6
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

this is the cable I got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-INPA-K-D...0AAOSwlXhZYt4u

The CD has the basic tools you'll need, but not ISTA. INPA is the basic toolbox for jumping into fault codes and general diagnostics. The CD will also include NCS and WinKFP for coding and programming if you need to go that far. I used http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204192 to configure the applications. I'd recommend reading up on that while your cable's in transit.

If you do have a DSC issue, INPA can also walk you through bleeding the brakes when you're done--it triggers the DSC to force fluid through the calipers--it's pretty slick.

I'm not saying ISTA/D isn't good, but I haven't used it and it's a pretty big download. I'm putzing around with the VM from http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...irtual+machine and it does have ISTA/D and /P along with everything else. If you have a torrent client you may want to just jump straight to that. Big download.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #7
fozzydj
DIYer, 335i N54 lover
Rep

Thank you. Really helpful, I have a cable enroute and will attempt the software setup this aft. Update to follow
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #8
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
When I see that many seemingly unrelated codes I think of the battery or charging system.
Example: I had an Escape Hybrid that went into limp mode and threw about 10 codes at me, from ABS, to steering, to instrument panel, to traction battery (the hybrid battery). One code buried in the lot was for the 12V battery. I had it tested, verified it was bad, replaced it, and never had those codes again.
      08-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #9
fozzydj
DIYer, 335i N54 lover
Rep

Hi,

So, I followed the advice and got myself INPA setup and a cable, a total n00b to it but I managed to find my way around and actually felt alot better after doing so! Here's the results of a general 'read error faults' scan (which doesnt look too bad?)

Can anyone advise on the bits showing? I'm not sure what the FRM system is, I'm guessing its seatbelt/airbag related?

BMW 335i BLACK E92 SE 2007 158,000k
Bilstein B3 suspension, Catless downpipes, Turbonetics intercooler, MHD stage 1
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #10
fozzydj
DIYer, 335i N54 lover
Rep

I managed to locate the FRM module and found the below:

BMW 335i BLACK E92 SE 2007 158,000k
Bilstein B3 suspension, Catless downpipes, Turbonetics intercooler, MHD stage 1
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #11
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Nice work getting the tools installed.

The FRM is the footwell module and has a bunch of lighting-related stuff. I wouldn't worry about these at the moment.

Your other codes are typical for a failing DSC module, which it sounds like you suspected going into it. There are a lot of threads on it and what to do. If you send it off for repair, you'll need to a.) remove it from it's home immediately in front of the driver under the hood b.) pay around $250 c.) re-install it and d.) bleed the brake lines.

I'm unclear if you will need to run the steering angle process when removing, repairing and replacing your own DSC module but it's a possible requirement as well. Not too difficult, and there are videos of bleeding the brakes with INPA. More of a PITA than a difficult procedure.

All in all, not a particularly troublesome or expensive fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #12
fozzydj
DIYer, 335i N54 lover
Rep

Boom, happy days I found another pump for £90, apparantley its usually the bushes in the motor that go. DIY looked quite easy, just hook your control module up to the new pump.

I have a pal with a vaccum brake bleeder so thats not a problem.

I reset the footwell lights, they havent come back on but I have some bulb warnings popping up. Need to narrow those down now

Loving INPA. Glad I spent the time setting it up. It makes me feel like I know the car a little better now
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 04:37 PM   #13
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Great news. Keep in mind you'll need to code and flash the new DSC and then calibrate and and set the steering angle sensor. Until you do, you'll still keep the Christmas tree lights.

I used WinKFP to flash the new one and NCSExpert to code the VIN using Expert Mode, then ISTA/D to calibrate. I ended up with a new code that may indicate my "new" pump still has an issue but I'd expect you wouldn't run into that.

I'd be very interested to know exactly what process you use to complete the rest of this project, so please update the thread. When researching this, I couldn't find one definitive source that seemed to cover the whole shebang soup-to-nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzydj View Post
Boom, happy days I found another pump for £90, apparantley its usually the bushes in the motor that go. DIY looked quite easy, just hook your control module up to the new pump.

I have a pal with a vaccum brake bleeder so thats not a problem.

I reset the footwell lights, they havent come back on but I have some bulb warnings popping up. Need to narrow those down now

Loving INPA. Glad I spent the time setting it up. It makes me feel like I know the car a little better now
Appreciate 0