E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Clutch E error remains after changing gearbox!?

06-19-2021, 11:08 AM   #1
Ryanbhx1
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335d

Exclamation Clutch E error remains after changing gearbox!?

Hello all,

I got the clutch e ratio code last week and after reading many forum posts I bit the bullet and bought a good condition second hand gearbox and swapped it.

Drove the car for 20 minutes and the code popped up again, it seems I can drive the car fine for a bit but when the code appears I can recreate the malfunction by hovering around 60mph and changing from 4-5 gear. Since it takes around 20 minutes for the code to come up I’m thinking it might be temperature related to something? I’m going to change the solenoids but I would appreciate any advice anyone has on the issue. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 11:38 AM   #2
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Sounds like you might have gotten a bum transmission. Maybe you have a 4F85 code? E-bushing is a well known problem if fluid and filter were not changed often enough. I guess junkyards always sell "good condition" junk.

Either the E-clutch was burnt, the drum blackened and/or the E-bushing was worn and leaked pressure. Both of the clutch and bushing (and maybe more) will probably need to be changed. Check out this video. Hear what he has to say about temperature affecting things -- that is the E-bushing.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 12:53 PM   #3
Ryanbhx1
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335d

I know I’m unlucky with cars but surely I can’t be that much by getting a second hand transmission with the exact same problem?

I forgot to mention that just before I get the transmission faulty error the car will hold onto 4th gear to high revs, then lurch, then when I change from 4th to 5th while accelerating the error pops up.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 05:08 PM   #4
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

At least what you are describing suggest both transmissions have the same common, known fault of the 6HP series.

Then again, could it be the wiring affect the E clutch, etc? Could it be that the replacement transmission ended up in a junkyard because of it? I do not know.
Appreciate 0