Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Sport Cup 2 vs Wider Michelin Sport 4S?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-25-2021, 09:14 PM   #1
theOkilla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Sport Cup 2 vs Wider Michelin Sport 4S?

Hello,

I have an e92 2007 335i. I have aftermarket 19” wheels that are 10” wide in the rear and 8.5” in the front. I currently can Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires at 265/30/19 rear and 235/35/19 in the front. They have great dry weather performance but I moved somewhere that I need some decent wet weather performance. I’m thinking about going with the Michelin Sport 4S tires.

I can’t go any wider in the front because I have a Dinan oil cooler and the tires are already bending the exhaust fins in the wheel well. However, I’m wondering what the widest possible tires I can go with in the rear *without* rolling the fenders? I’m not willing to do that, but I’m hoping to make 285 width fit. I never have anyone in the backseat of my car ever, nor will I in the future. Is that too wide or will I need to drop to 275 width?

I am running 500whp so I want better traction off the line. I’m hoping that wider Sport 4S tires will come closer to what the skinnier Cup 2s were capable of. Please let me know your thoughts! Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 07:33 AM   #2
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
Offset is a HUGE factor here that we will need to know.

Also sport cup 2's are great tires but I'm not sure if I'd be using them for a daily driver; Unless you are loaded and can replace tires regularly.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2021, 10:00 AM   #3
theOkilla
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvan View Post
Offset is a HUGE factor here that we will need to know.

Also sport cup 2's are great tires but I'm not sure if I'd be using them for a daily driver; Unless you are loaded and can replace tires regularly.
To be honest, I’m not familiar with offset. I have to added any spacers or done anything myself to change that. I have dropped the car off with the new wheels at a random tire place for the install but that was all.

Will I need do do something regarding offset?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 10:18 AM   #4
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
Depending on the offset of your wheels will determine how much tire you can fit (a lower offset will bring the wheel closer to the fender lip which looks better but has less room for tire)

Adding spacers does this so you cannot add them to gain room for tire (itll do the opposite)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #5
theOkilla
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvan View Post
Depending on the offset of your wheels will determine how much tire you can fit (a lower offset will bring the wheel closer to the fender lip which looks better but has less room for tire)

Adding spacers does this so you cannot add them to gain room for tire (itll do the opposite)
Okay, I found that information. The front 8.5” wide wheels have 34mm of offset, and the rear 10” wide have 37mm of offset.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 05:56 PM   #6
theOkilla
Private
Rep

Anyone have any input?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 01:21 PM   #7
alpinec1984
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i Alpine White

Cup2 are made with a high Tg polymer that will give you poor wet traction when temperatures are below 50F especially. Downright dangerous colder than that. Wet traction is OK warmer and downright good when hot but that is very hard to come by when water has any depth at all. And the hydroplaning resistance of the Cup2 is much worse as the net-to-gross (percentage of total footprint area that is tread versus total, i.e. slick =100%) is considerably higher than for the 4S. In fact the 4S has one of the lowest net-to-gross in the category, making hydroplaning resistance a strong point of that tire.
      12-22-2021, 02:23 PM   #8
theOkilla
Private
Rep

That’s great information as well, thank you. Anyone have input on the rear tire size I could get away with given the offset of 37mm in the rear? A tire shop said I should safely be able to make a 285 width fit and that a 265 or 275 would be on the smaller side for the wheel size.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 08:23 PM   #9
Slade_
solus operandi
Rep
Drives: 6mt N54 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOkilla View Post
That’s great information as well, thank you. Anyone have input on the rear tire size I could get away with given the offset of 37mm in the rear? A tire shop said I should safely be able to make a 285 width fit and that a 265 or 275 would be on the smaller side for the wheel size.

Thanks again.
Curious to know as well. Tuned in for response.
My car is nicely rolled in the rear an I’m beginning to explore wheel/ tire options.
A friend of mine and fellow enthusiast thinks I can run 285s with no issue.
Appreciate 0