E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > rotor scratch after brake bed in?

08-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
dwightzeke
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

rotor scratch after brake bed in?

Hi. I completed my first brake job this past weekend. New rotors and pads. I completed the bed in process as I understand it, and I have fine braking performance and no noise or vibrations at all.

However, upon visual inspection, 1 of the 4 rotors (the passenger rear), has a small scratch forming. I can feel the scratch with my finger and actually see it. As far as I know, I did the exact same thing with that pad and rotor as I did on the other 3. But clearly I'm a bit worried that there is a scratch/indentation forming after only about 30 miles of driving.

(I did notice that both rear rotors seem to be receiving more pad texture build up closer to the center of the rotor than to the outside. The fronts appear to be receiving a more even coat of the pad.)

Any ideas of what this could be? Is there an adjustment I should make with that pad before driving more? Maybe there was something on the pad I didn't see when installing it that's causing this?

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Personally, I would take off the pad and inspect it. I'll speculate that a small chunk of the "forward" edge of the pad (read: as the disque "sees" it as the wheel spins) broke off the pad and it's now embedded in the pad further "back" (read: up), and eventually it will wear out/go away, but not before it may start a scratch. I had this happen to me (big time) on my first set of Cool Carbons that I tracked. Now I always take a file and chamfer the "leading" edge of the pad- maybe just 2 or 3 millimeters, and even the trailing edge somewhat.

http://www.google.no/m/search?site=i...amfer&sa=N#i=5

Last edited by IN54NITY; 08-24-2011 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0