E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > N54 tune with Pure stage 2 DDs - anyone?

02-26-2018, 06:30 PM   #1
greenmachine
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2014 M5

N54 tune with Pure stage 2 DDs - anyone?

I am looking for someone/car shop who knows how to tune/flash a N54 after installing Pure stage 2 DDs turbos. The shop I take my car to feels confident about installing the turbos but are not sure how to tune or where to get the tune done after the install.

FYI...I have procede installed already so if anyone knows if procede+pure stage 2 turbos will work, that will be awesome but I can take out the procede if needed.

I am looking to generate more whp with the upgrade (450-500 range). Currently I have cone air inlets, fmic with chargepipe and down pipes.

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 06:47 AM   #2
augee
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 328xi Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
I am looking for someone/car shop who knows how to tune/flash a N54 after installing Pure stage 2 DDs turbos. The shop I take my car to feels confident about installing the turbos but are not sure how to tune or where to get the tune done after the install.

FYI...I have procede installed already so if anyone knows if procede+pure stage 2 turbos will work, that will be awesome but I can take out the procede if needed.

I am looking to generate more whp with the upgrade (450-500 range). Currently I have cone air inlets, fmic with chargepipe and down pipes.

Thanks for your help!

Reach out to (feuer) he may know someone.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2018, 10:33 PM   #3
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

Contact performance solutions out in Schumburg. They have a dyno u can rent and get a dyno tune from Brian may
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2018, 07:12 AM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by augee View Post
Reach out to (feuer) he may know someone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojobmw_e90 View Post
Contact performance solutions out in Schumburg. They have a dyno u can rent and get a dyno tune from Brian may
Green machine is 400 miles away from Chicago IL. I don't think it will work
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 09:04 AM   #5
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Green machine is 400 miles away from Chicago IL. I don't think it will work
Why can't he do a custom e tune over email, or even remotely log into a laptop from 400 miles away and tune as well? All he is doing is viewing data and making adjustments
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #6
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why can't he do a custom e tune over email, or even remotely log into a laptop from 400 miles away and tune as well? All he is doing is viewing data and making adjustments
From the post I'm under the assumptions that he is looking to go to a shop. Online services are available yes. He will need to do logs, send them in etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #7
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep

Quote:
From the post I'm under the assumptions that he is looking to go to a shop. Online services are available yes. He will need to do logs, send them in etc etc.
That is all possible to do on a dyno in one day. Remote tuning is 2 laptops, host connects the laptop thats connected to the car and he does the rest. Only thing the dyno operator does is run the dyno
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      03-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #8
greenmachine
Rep

Thanks for the information mojobmw_e90! Turns out that my shop had questions about using my existing procede with the new turbos. I sent an e-mail to procedetuning which has now become openflashperformance (maybe? it is not clear from their website) and got no reply. The shop techs also tried to send e-mails. We have not heard back. So at this point it might mean taking the procede out. My shop is looking at using Cobb with the Pure turbos.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #9
greenmachine
Rep

Quote:
feuer - is it possible to tune the procede for use with the pure stage 2 DDs? If so, can a place like Performance Tuning in Schaumburg help with this?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 06:53 PM   #10
greenmachine
Rep

Quote:
That is all possible to do on a dyno in one day. Remote tuning is 2 laptops, host connects the laptop thats connected to the car and he does the rest. Only thing the dyno operator does is run the dyno
mojobmw_e90 - a few questions about connecting the laptop to my car. 1) does the laptop connect using the OBD connector?

2) What application do I have to run on the laptop connected to the car?

3) If a dyno is needed for tuning, and I have to rent it, I am assuming I have take the car over to where the dyno is at? How else will it work?

As you can tell, all this is very new to me, trying to understand the basics...thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 07:27 PM   #11
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep

Quote:
mojobmw_e90 - a few questions about connecting the laptop to my car. 1) does the laptop connect using the OBD connector?

2) What application do I have to run on the laptop connected to the car?

3) If a dyno is needed for tuning, and I have to rent it, I am assuming I have take the car over to where the dyno is at? How else will it work?

As you can tell, all this is very new to me, trying to understand the basics...thanks!
Procede or what ever it's called is a outdated tuner now. Jb4, mhd, open flash tuning is what everyone is running now. I would suggest u not go over to Cobb as they have completely dropped Cobb support and alot of tuners stopped using Cobb as well. Once u get to the shop, the owner will plug his laptop and do the rest. U really just pay the money and watch magic occur.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 11:16 PM   #12
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
feuer - is it possible to tune the procede for use with the pure stage 2 DDs? If so, can a place like Performance Tuning in Schaumburg help with this?
I had procede very briefly few years ago. Like mojobmw_e90 sais there isn't any support for procede these days. Jb4 derives from procede. I know people use procede in conjunction with BEF (back end flash) for better timing and fuel control. I know Cobb was used for flashing BEF but they have abondoned the platform too. With out knowing what is your goal is deficult to give you an advise. Try it with procede and if you like and don't want to spend money on something else just keep it. In Map 2 with enabled auto tune it can hit 20psi and that with updated turbos is plenty.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #13
greenmachine
Rep

Quote:
I had procede very briefly few years ago. Like mojobmw_e90 sais there isn't any support for procede these days. Jb4 derives from procede. I know people use procede in conjunction with BEF (back end flash) for better timing and fuel control. I know Cobb was used for flashing BEF but they have abondoned the platform too. With out knowing what is your goal is deficult to give you an advise. Try it with procede and if you like and don't want to spend money on something else just keep it. In Map 2 with enabled auto tune it can hit 20psi and that with updated turbos is plenty.
feuer - is auto-tune the default with procede because I don't know how to change it? The tech at my shop was thinking the procede with the new turbos might throw faults and cause the car to run with issues...but was not sure. Sounds like something I should try before doing a new tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #14
greenmachine
Rep

Quote:
Procede or what ever it's called is a outdated tuner now. Jb4, mhd, open flash tuning is what everyone is running now. I would suggest u not go over to Cobb as they have completely dropped Cobb support and alot of tuners stopped using Cobb as well. Once u get to the shop, the owner will plug his laptop and do the rest. U really just pay the money and watch magic occur.
mojobmw_e90 - my shop does not have the knowledge to do a tune so if the procede with map2 does not throw faults and cause issues with the car to run...I don't mind driving to Performance Solutions in Chicago to get a better tune. Good to know about the current tuners used...thanks for that.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 10:38 PM   #15
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
feuer - is auto-tune the default with procede because I don't know how to change it? The tech at my shop was thinking the procede with the new turbos might throw faults and cause the car to run with issues...but was not sure. Sounds like something I should try before doing a new tune.
Auto tune is by default as far as I know. New turbo should not cause the car to run with issues. Install the turbos. Drive the car. See how you like it. See how it will run. If satisfactory to you leave it as is.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 11:27 PM   #16
neroneuman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 TiAg 135i MT

AFAIK, Procede is superior unit to JB4 hardware wise but it doesn't have any support from Openflash or Shiv. so you are on your own. You would change to auto-tune through the procede software interface using a laptop and connecting the usb cable. Autotuning was set to off for later version of the procede maps.

It would be in your best interest to remove the procede and go full MHD or JB4+MHD and get a custom tune.
      03-04-2018, 11:51 PM   #17
Midwest_Xi
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Ditch the procede

Flash only with MHD or JB4 + BEF

Tuning can be done remotely & fine tuned on a Dyno if need be or you have a desire to do so.

Assuming you are capable of taking clean logs, an e-tune should be simple & a base map can be sent prior so you have something to use b4 the car leaves the shop.

Not sure how or why this is so complicated 😂
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 07:48 AM   #18
greenmachine
Rep

midwest_xi - I guess for those of us who have done this before and have a car shop that is experienced with this stuff, it is not complicated. Thanks for all the inputs, it really helps. You sold your pure turbos after ~14k miles, right? I am looking at getting the same...anything I should know/watch out for before I go ahead with them for my n54? I don't plan to drive too hard all the time...I am looking for something that is fun to drive but also reliable.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 07:54 AM   #19
greenmachine
Rep

Quote:
Auto tune is by default as far as I know. New turbo should not cause the car to run with issues. Install the turbos. Drive the car. See how you like it. See how it will run. If satisfactory to you leave it as is.
I like this idea! I talked to my technician about doing this. I don't plan to drive too hard anyway, at least not all the time. Even with just the procede tune in map 2, my rear wheels sometimes lose traction in 2nd gear...so I am not sure how additional power can be kept down...need better tires maybe? I have continental contact sport on right now.

Last edited by greenmachine; 03-07-2018 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 09:06 AM   #20
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I like this idea! I talked to my technician about doing this. I don't plan to drive too hard anyway, at least not all the time. Even with just the procede tune in map 2, my rear wheels sometimes lose traction in 2nd gear...so I am not sure how additional power can be kept down...need better tires maybe? I have continental contact sport on right now.
Yes, better tires. Hankook RS4, Nexen Sur4G, Dunlop Direzza Star Spec, Bridgestone RE71 and Michelin PSS4 would be my choices.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #21
besn54
Registered
Rep
Drives: n54

The Procede was a great tool, I still have one in my spare parts bin. Get team viewer and I can help you get it to where it needs to be. It's a bit more complicated to make it work with port injection, it's doable.. but you would have to drive to my shop for all that
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50