E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Boost Control...

11-20-2007, 07:17 AM   #23
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

As a follow up to this, on my way into the office this morning; everything was fine, as expected. It would spike to about 15 PSI and then drop to about 11 - 12 PSI in the mid range only to climb later to near 15 PSI; exactly as it should.

Now the big question is if it will be the same this afternoon when it will be warmer...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 08:34 AM   #24
3pete3the5greekI
The GrEeK
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi M EBII

hey i was just wondering to control the boost ans see it....do i have to get an aditional gague and control or does oone come with the proced??...help??!??

2007 e90 335i (batmobile) ~ bye bye
2011 e90 335i M-Sport (Stella) ~ BYe Bye
2013 F30 335xi M-Sport EBII
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 08:39 AM   #25
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pete3the5greekI View Post
hey i was just wondering to control the boost ans see it....do i have to get an aditional gague and control or does oone come with the proced??...help??!??
You can use the logging tool in the PROcede software to view boost. But that requires a laptop at all times. Or you may want to consider a mechanical gauge just to view. But in the end, the control is left to the DME or PROcede depending on which version you have installed.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #26
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

Scalbert- Have you compared the readings between your mechanical gauge and what the Procede "sees"?
      11-20-2007, 08:48 AM   #27
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDomer View Post
Scalbert- Have you compared the readings between your mechanical gauge and what the Procede "sees"?
Not yet, I need a USB extension cable or my new laptop to arrive with Bluetooth. But I get either working shortly as I am curious what the PROcede was indicating when the spikes occured.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 11:10 AM   #28
3pete3the5greekI
The GrEeK
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi M EBII

kk ill check it out a lil more

2007 e90 335i (batmobile) ~ bye bye
2011 e90 335i M-Sport (Stella) ~ BYe Bye
2013 F30 335xi M-Sport EBII
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 01:55 PM   #29
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Great info---I'm very glad your thorough disposition is investigating here. These aspects of the device's functioning are what I would never have learned without your thoughtfulness! Tx bro.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 03:01 PM   #30
beepbeep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sedan E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
The overboost feature is also active in 2.0.1. Which means that if you have not been on boost for some time you may see a 1-1.5psi jump in boost pressure for a very short period of time (up to 1 second).

shiv
The overboost is only for 1 second or less? That seems short or is this a feature that will be tweaked later? Do the various parts heat up that quickly?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #31
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Once again, as suspected, boost was higher, as well as the spikes, in warmer weather. This morning the spikes were in the 16 PSI range, this afternoon they were in the 18 PSI range. But I was able to narrow down the specifics.

This primarily occurs if you romp the throttle in roughly the 3000 - 3500 range. If below or above there the boost will climb just fine and respond accordingly.

As for the climbing boost in the upper revs, the highest I saw was about 16 PSI.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #32
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep

Hmmm.... We were discussing this in another thread. About whether there are physical limitations to the solenoids and wastegates, and whether we are reaching their limits vs. a programming issue. Shiv hasn't seen these spikes and overboost the same way others have. Just curious if this is going to be the norm, or the exception. Another push for me to get a boost gauge.
      11-20-2007, 08:39 PM   #33
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm.... We were discussing this in another thread. About whether there are physical limitations to the solenoids and wastegates, and whether we are reaching their limits vs. a programming issue. Shiv hasn't seen these spikes and overboost the same way others have. Just curious if this is going to be the norm, or the exception. Another push for me to get a boost gauge.
It is not unheard of to have to make a turn or two on the wastegate shaft to get a system to respond the same as others. Not all turbos leave the factory exactly the same. Dunno, but I will certain keep watching it...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 08:41 PM   #34
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
It is not unheard of to have to make a turn or two on the wastegate shaft to get a system to respond the same as others. Not all turbos leave the factory exactly the same. Dunno, but I will certain keep watching it...
I think you're on to something there.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 08:42 PM   #35
sirploppy
5 Star General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

Quote:
I came from the Evo world and the first mod, before doing anything, was to install a boost gauge. It was just common practice. I don't know why on this board it is not stressed more that with any mod, JBR2, PRocede, SSTT, Xede... a boost gauge should be installed first.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 08:43 PM   #36
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirploppy View Post
I came from the Evo world and the first mod, before doing anything, was to install a boost gauge. It was just common practice. I don't know why on this board it is not stressed more than with any mod, JBR2, PRocede, SSTT, Xede... a boost gauge should be installed first.
It's an excellent suggestion...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #37
Fubarsky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Shiv or others. I have a dumb question. If changes of 1-3% are suggested on map changes how does the Procede handle or I guess ECU handle the switching of valet mode? I change this setting more often than my underware. Any repercussions? Underware is daily.
      11-20-2007, 09:05 PM   #38
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarsky View Post
Shiv or others. I have a dumb question. If changes of 1-3% are suggested on map changes how does the Procede handle or I guess ECU handle the switching of valet mode? I change this setting more often than my underware. Any repercussions? Underware is daily.
When running in the valet mode, the PROcede bypasses all the user adjustable features. It will run 7-9psi of boost regardless of what changes you make.

scalbert-- you have a PM

shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 03:18 PM   #39
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep

Scalbert or Shiv... Any chance the wastegate is not sufficient to compensate (or bleed) boost sufficiently when it builds quickly and you can run into an overboost situation. I know the solenoids should actuate the wastegate quickly right? Could it just be a physical limitation on the wastegate size? Would you need to "lead" with the wastegate a little? Again.. as before.. a 3rd grader in calculus class here.
      11-21-2007, 06:10 PM   #40
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Scalbert or Shiv... Any chance the wastegate is not sufficient to compensate (or bleed) boost sufficiently when it builds quickly and you can run into an overboost situation. I know the solenoids should actuate the wastegate quickly right? Could it just be a physical limitation on the wastegate size? Would you need to "lead" with the wastegate a little? Again.. as before.. a 3rd grader in calculus class here.
I am just not sure but will try and get to the bottom of it. The issue only occurs in a very specific condition and is not repeatable. But we'll get it nailed down soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #41
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry335 View Post
It's a vacuum based system and the wastegates default open (no boost). The solenoids are 0-12v, ~1a at full load. 0v is fully open, 12v is fully closed.
I was thinking about tis a bit more an wondered what does the DME defaults to with the signal to the solenoid.

If it defaults to 0 VDC to the solenoids and they are open, then that means the wastegates are trying to be closed by defauilt, i.e. ready to build boost. In order to stop the build of boost the vacuum must be lost or, in normal operation, the solenoids close; 12 VDC applied or a dutry cycle somewhere in between.

Or, does the DME apply 12 VDC normally and drops the signal, or a duty cycle of it, as demanded?

Just curious what all the defaults are. TIA for saving me from hooking up a scope and testing it myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #42
scalbert
Major General
Rep

On another thought, I wonder what the decision was for placing the TMAP prior to the TB and then needing to utilize an additional sensor in the manifold for vacuum conditions. This must have made the load calculation more difficult. They would have to monitor the vacuum sensor in the manifold until they reach positive pressure at which point they would switch to the TMAP. Well, I guess that simple logic isn't hard but this does add an additional part.

Why not just run a single sensor which reads both vacuum and boost and have it in the manifold where is counts. I guess the resolution is increased by using two smaller range sensors. Plus, the verification of proper pressure release through the diverters is beneficial by having a sensor fore of the TB. But it still seems like a waste of parts and engineering.

Lastly, I have to beleive there is some pressure drop through the TB, exspecially as the flow rates increase. With a closed loop fuel system it would compensate, but wouldn't it be better to be on the mark more often by reading true manifold pressure.

Just tossing out ideas out of curiosity again...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 09:09 PM   #43
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust Scalbert? One could reason that improved flow downstream of an internal wastegate may render it insufficient at high boost levels and make those boost levels even higher. Surely Shiv knows this and has dealt with it has he has an aftermarket exhaust.
      11-23-2007, 11:04 PM   #44
Moggie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Once again, as suspected, boost was higher, as well as the spikes, in warmer weather. This morning the spikes were in the 16 PSI range, this afternoon they were in the 18 PSI range. But I was able to narrow down the specifics.

This primarily occurs if you romp the throttle in roughly the 3000 - 3500 range. If below or above there the boost will climb just fine and respond accordingly.

As for the climbing boost in the upper revs, the highest I saw was about 16 PSI.
FYI I'm seeing exactly the same thing with my recent v2 install. A spike, max of 18.1 (on my digital boost gauge) under certain conditions: at about 3000 rpm WOT in 3rd uphill. It settles down to about 14psi pretty quickly. Temperature was 60 degrees a few hundred feet above see level.
Appreciate 0