E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tim_s's 325i n53 e91 lci with 330i flash and 3 stage manifold

01-17-2018, 03:28 AM   #45
smellypoo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
When my injectors were done last year I had one faulty and they replaced the lot. Apparently that's what the PUMA document is now recommending. As a minimum I think it's not recommended to mix and match on banks.Since mine were done the car has ran great for a good 9 months now
I also read something about the internals being slightly different on index 11, apparently anything below 11 can be 'mixed' but 11 onwards should be the same for a bank. Before I had my 2 faulty injectors replaced, I had 2x index 11 and 1x index 4 on each bank. No idea why, other than thinking someone decided to do a fix as cheaply as possible.

(sorry about the thread-jacking Tim!)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 05:14 AM   #46
tim_s
Rep
Drives: e91 325 and e36 m3 evo

No worries about the thread-jacking! I think I might have misread and thought you'd mixed and matched index 11s and 4s (rather than p.o.).
I've still not had time to look into n53 binary differences, been too busy looking into old porsche ecus at the mo (I've a 986 boxster). I think it might prove quite a challenge, I'm hoping there's some decent similarities between MSD8x dmes so that my damos/a2ls from n52/n54s are of some use, as I don't have one for an n53.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 02:07 PM   #47
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s View Post
No worries about the thread-jacking! I think I might have misread and thought you'd mixed and matched index 11s and 4s (rather than p.o.).
I've still not had time to look into n53 binary differences, been too busy looking into old porsche ecus at the mo (I've a 986 boxster). I think it might prove quite a challenge, I'm hoping there's some decent similarities between MSD8x dmes so that my damos/a2ls from n52/n54s are of some use, as I don't have one for an n53.
How do you find the Boxster? I'm really thinking of going to a Boxster next - probably a 981S.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 04:08 PM   #48
smellypoo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI M Sport

Oh nice! I very nearly bought a 986 Boxster, but at the time (8-9 years ago now) the (regular and potential) maintenance costs scared me so I ended up with the Z4, which doesn't handle as well as the Porsche but other than the roof motor playing up it's been an excellent car. I'd have one now though, if I could get it past 'the management'...

How much scope is there for ECU tweakery on the Porsche? I know very little about it on any car, other than some are more 'open' than others...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 04:49 AM   #49
tim_s
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
How do you find the Boxster? I'm really thinking of going to a Boxster next - probably a 981S.
I'm a big fan of boxsters, but theyíre one of those Iím not sure that I could in good faith recommend to someone else due to mine not exactly having been the most reliableĖ I think newer ones are probably a good deal better in that regard though. Iíve owned mine for about 9 years or so I think. 981 is a completely different proposition, Iíve driven quite a few of them, whevener the 986 goes in for a service at opc they give either a new boxster or cayman as a courtesy car. I always find I get in the 981 and love the interior and the toys and how much more refined it is than the 986, how much better the hood is (much less wind noise, much better electric operation) etc. I really like pdk on them too and the noise of the blips on shifting, the engine sounds pretty fruity too and theyíre faster than the 986. Theyíre a brilliant car and quite different to the 986. They look fantastic too. But I almost invariably find when I get back into the 986 on being returned it it feels so much more raw and focused and noisy and stiff than the new ones, has better steering and more pointy handling. To live with and in terms of refinement a 981 would be much better, but as a toy I really like the old 986, that Iíve kept it for so long is probably a testament to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellypoo View Post
Oh nice! I very nearly bought a 986 Boxster, but at the time (8-9 years ago now) the (regular and potential) maintenance costs scared me so I ended up with the Z4, which doesn't handle as well as the Porsche but other than the roof motor playing up it's been an excellent car. I'd have one now though, if I could get it past 'the management'...

How much scope is there for ECU tweakery on the Porsche? I know very little about it on any car, other than some are more 'open' than others...
Probably quite wise to be scared off by the potential issues on them. There seem to be plenty of them with the M96 engines. Mineís been quite a pain over the years, it has gone wrong a few times Ė it let me down (cooling issues) on the way to the Ďring a few years ago after Iíd spent quite a bit of time prepping it (fitting cayman brakes, sticky tyres etc), didnít even make it to dover as I caught a load of traffic and it started to overheat, didnít want to risk it so nursed it home and swapped to the e36 M3, which even without any prep for the trip was absolutely brilliant as usual. I bought it on 80k and itís now on 110k, itís had off the top of my head:
-M030 suspension (shocks, springs, arbs), new coffin arms, top mounts, link arms, tie rods
-Engine mounts (993 RS to replace the hydraulic factory mounts)
-New rads, rad resistors, water pump, t stat, expansion tank
-Clutch/flywheel
-Alternator and idler pulley
-MAF, coilpacks, air oil separator
-New brake lines
-Rear wheel bearings
-Exhaust manifolds
-Oil cooler (stuck a 996 one in)
Iíve done a bunch of other stuff thatís not been needed such as fitting a shorter ratio gearbox off a 2.5, brakes and a 987 airbox which is a much better design, but the above were due replaced due to wear or issues.
I think with the new intake and fancy exhaust thereís some room for some tweakery, itís got a generic flash on it at the moment. Iíve got good definitions for ME7.8 DMEs in the later cars, sadly mineís an earlier ME7.2 ECU which I donít have definitions for so have had to work by comparing my remapped file to my standard file and a file from a 3.4 and looking at other ME7.2 ECUs from different cars that may share similarities.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 05:05 AM   #50
tim_s
Rep

Nothing new to report on the 330, mileage is creeping up , now on 102k, but I've temporarily donated it to my old man while I've been having fun playing with porsches and my m3. I bought a beautiful 996 c4s for a steal which I've been busy doing a lot of work to and has been absolutely brilliant, was planning to keep it for a while with an eye to it selling it in summer but got a decent offer so it's now gone only a few months after buying it.. my wallet appreciated it but I do miss it a great deal. I did manage to do a fantastic trip up to the isle of skye in it, they remain one of my favourite porsches of all time, and this one made me much more of a fan of tiptronic as I fitted flappy paddles to it which transformed it.

Promise I'll get around to actually posting something about the 330 at some point, probably involving having done some work on understanding how to tune the dme! Will hopefully be moving house shortly which may entail some more selling of cars which may well mean the 330 becoming the only car which undoubtedly will result in me giving it a load more attention.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #51
NicoGueguen
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325i (N53)

Hi Tim,

Your topic is very interesting. I'm currently getting rid of all the DTC I have on my E91 325i (N53). There is no hurry, but I think I would like to flash a 330i software at the end. I would appreciate if I could benefit from your experience
I'm not against tuners, but I would really enjoy having a "pure" BMW setting in my car. First task: find the intake manifold!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 06:53 AM   #52
HOLO SEALS
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 525i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s View Post
Thought I'd give a little bit more detail on here about the 330 n53 map due to getting a few PMs about it. You can't flash a BMW N53 330 map onto a 325 because the power class in the DME and in the CAS must match, BMW use this handshake to ensure that you cannot flash from a more powerful model onto a lower power model - exactly what we're trying to do here. This mechanism is used in several different BMW DMEs where there is a significant power bump by remapping alone. There are many approaches to getting around this, but what I've done here is some binary modification (and subsequent checksum correction!) on the dme to still handshake as a 325 while all the rest of the data is from a 330. Other than this change the binary is unchanged, it is identical to a 330 ecu other than that it will work in a 325; it reports as a 330i software version. This is quite a different approach to the generic flash file that is available at many places (which still reports itself as the original software version). Having said that, on this car also I had pretty good results using a generic flash (which I bought from a company on the internet and flashed on myself), I just prefer to have the car running original BMW software and think that this is the better approach as I now know for certain the ECU is identical to a 330.
Hope this helps, any questions please feel free to ask on here! I'm happy to perform this on anyone's 325 for a small contribution (less than a generic flash!) to recover some of the costs/risk I invested in this and the tooling.
Tim
Hi Tim!

Any chance I can take you up on your offer? Would happily pay a fee for this

I would prefer to have original BMW software running on my car instead of a generic map

Kind regards,

Nathan
Appreciate 0