E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Long Crank, Sometimes starts

09-06-2019, 06:29 PM   #1
TGSN_
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330xi 6MT

Long Crank, Sometimes starts

In need of some help. I did some research on the forums myself and still can’t figure this problem out. I have very limited time because of work, and the weather hasn’t been all that great. But as of last week, my car has been down. I’m experiencing long cranks on startup and now it no longer starts. I tried jumping it before actually diagnosing, no go. Changed the battery for a new one. Nothing changed. Ran the scanner and I’m getting p0335. Which is the Crankshaft position sensor circuit a. I purchased a sensor online which claimed to be OEM spec replacement for $80 installed and same exact results. Purchased one from orielly and same result. Car cranks but doesn’t turn on. So I don’t know if I can rule out the sensor to be bad. I tried the oem that I had removed and same results as the other two. I purchased a OEM crankshaft position sensor from BMW just to be sure (haven’t received in mail yet). I verified my installations to be correct. Sometimes I can get the car to start if I pump the gas pedal. And when it does start, the car is running poorly and seems like it’s in limp mode and very rich. Not very familiar to the BMW game like that, but I try my best to learn and fix the issues that I can with my time and money. Thanks to those who read the post, and anyone who can give some insight on the problem. I really miss my car 😢

Just tried something, I unplugged the harness to the crankshaft position sensor. Car cranks but still long. Basically no difference whether the harness was plugged into the crankshaft position sensor. Same code p0335, p0335 pd. Ran the car with Inpa and it reports back a code related to the crankshaft sensor.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 02:36 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Check condition of the main engine to body earth strap for corrosion.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
TGSN_
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Check condition of the main engine to body earth strap for corrosion.
Looks to be alright. I tried grounding the engine and the chassis with a jump cable. Same result trying to turn the car on.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
TGSN_
United_States
Rep

Problem solved. First I checked the harness for the correct voltages. All passed. I removed the sensor and this time manually installed the oring into the housing first. The sensor almost snapped into place once the oring was put in first. I had three people check the sensor and the seating and all gave me the okay before this. I guess the sensor wasn't seated flush enough to give a reading. Well glad that is over. Time to return all the sensors. And I just received my new fuel pump and filter in the mail today. Going to safe stock those for when the time comes. Thanks everyone
Appreciate 0