E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2AA8 Code question - DISA valve

09-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #1
ahsm
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330I

2AA8 Code question - DISA valve

Hello

I've been reading this thread:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1633514

Hoping to get more luck here as I noticed the other thread is in the general discussion subforum.

I am getting the 2AA8 code, I erased it with the Foxwell scanner and went for a drive and it came back.

Copy and paste what I wrote in the other thread:

Hello

Sorry to bump the thread but didn't want to create a new thread.

I have a N52 (3 stage intake manifold), I recently bought a Foxwell NT520 scanner and I am still learning how to use it correctly. I scanned my 330i and got some codes, one of these was "2AAB/not present DME: Variable intake system, self-diagnosis"

I cleared all the codes and went for a 30 minute spirited drive and the code above came back. Reading about the code leads me to believe it is the larger DISA valve (beside the throttle body). Although you mention that this code is non specific and better to know the P code (is it possible to know the P code with the Foxwell scanner?). One other thing is that I noticed that my ground strap is green and corroded (the one at the bottom of the car, not in the engine bay) is it possible that the bad ground strap is causing the 2AAB code and it's not actually the DISA valve? Last question - If I take out my DISA valve today for inspection, do I need any new gaskets before putting it back on?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 06:38 AM   #2
ahsm
Rep

I found the test in the foxwell scanner but not sure if I did it correctly.

The ignition was on but the car was off, I did the DISA1 test and got this result:

and I heard the flap open but didn't hear it close after I deactivated the test. I then did the test for the second DISA valve and couldn't hear it open...

For what it's worth the DISA2 test returned the same results as in the picture
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 01:17 PM   #3
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

You don't need to replace gaskets. Its pretty much part of the stepper motor assembly.

Doing the test measure to actuate the motors, isn't always a definitive test. It will let you know if the motor is working correctly, however not if the flap attached to the motor is working properly or not.

The common failure on these engines is that the flap wears away at the base of the stepper motor shaft and basically just causes the flap to spin on the shaft.

Typical symptom of improperly working DISA valves is loss of low end torque. Might be hard for you to tell if the car is new to you though.

I would pull the valves and inspect. The outer is easy to access (just remove airbox), but the inner requires manifold removal.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 06:39 PM   #4
ahsm
Rep

Thanks for the information. I took out the DISA and you're right it's toast

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9Fa6SDSaQSUEJWUy8

There's the video of it
Appreciate 0