E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help, shredding through tires! even after alignment

05-20-2017, 02:16 AM   #45
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
iturbo_bmw any update on this issue? I hope that you have it all sorted out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post
No need to increase caster. It'll increase dynamic camber that's helpful on the track but not really on the street. You would need to redo the alignment anyway. Lots of pics of the suspension would help, maybe. Get a length of 2x4 to act as a lever against the arms to see if the bushings are still good, well within reason anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBeard View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspected that OP has way too negative camber (not just -2.5) and a toe - that combined eats inner portion. I thought one of his suspension components is either worn, broken, bent or isn't installed correctly - whatever it is - it is on both sides left and right, so due to that faulty suspension component essentially it's his wrong alignment that is eating his tires

Unfortunately, i have not figured it out yet. I went to a shop this week to have all my bushings/suspension looked at and they said everything looks fine.. So at this point I'm stumped. I'll try to take some pictures this weekend as well but the tech showed that everything looks sturdy under the car, as well as on top. He said maybe i should try a slightly different alignment, like more toe in. Do you think maybe i need adjust the toe more?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 03:21 AM   #46
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

What tire pressures are you running? I personally think that running too low pressures( on low aspect ratio tires with stiff(er) sidewalls) can cause accelerated wear on the inside edges because of the added pressure of the sidewall pushing out towards the tread surface.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 06:30 AM   #47
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

What size tyres are they and what size wheels? ie 18 x how many inches wide are the wheels?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 06:40 AM   #48
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Also, anyone with lower than M sport suspension should be asking for SZP5A spec (BMW Performance). There is a slight difference but at least it will be closer than aligning it based on a taller car.

With that much wear, unless the driver is steering, braking etc more than they are driving on straight road it would have to be something pretty obvious. Cant be any contact with components because that would shred the sidewalls usually.

I suspect a mismatched tyre/rim combination, like too wide for the rim. OP's pressures are fine for everyday use

Last edited by juld0zer; 05-20-2017 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 01:25 AM   #49
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
What tire pressures are you running? I personally think that running too low pressures( on low aspect ratio tires with stiff(er) sidewalls) can cause accelerated wear on the inside edges because of the added pressure of the sidewall pushing out towards the tread surface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
What size tyres are they and what size wheels? ie 18 x how many inches wide are the wheels?
Quote:
Also, anyone with lower than M sport suspension should be asking for SZP5A spec (BMW Performance). There is a slight difference but at least it will be closer than aligning it based on a taller car.

With that much wear, unless the driver is steering, braking etc more than they are driving on straight road it would have to be something pretty obvious. Cant be any contact with components because that would shred the sidewalls usually.

I suspect a mismatched tyre/rim combination, like too wide for the rim. OP's pressures are fine for everyday use

i was running running factory for a while 32/36 and went to 34/38 for a bit. right now i think i have the front at 33

i run 18x9 up front with 255/35/18. i dont think its the tires set up
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 04:04 PM   #50
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

I'm beginning to think this may after started happening after i got my m3 control arms installed. can anyone with m3 control arms chim in on what toe they currently run? Right now im guessining that maybe i just need to run more toe in. i know the m3 controls arms are longer than the 335i ones so im thinking that causes more toe out?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 04:50 PM   #51
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:

I did not know that. How would you find that number on the alignment machine?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #52
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:

I did not know that. How would you find that number on the alignment machine? Or a specific year and check that option?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #53
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SSii M3

I'm ASE certified, have been performing alignments for 10+ years, have attended training from Hunter Engineering in beginner and advanced alignment classes and have helped teach numerous hands on classes over the last 3 years that were led by Hunter Engineering. My best judgement says that this is a camber issue. When I have seen wear like this it is worn balljoints/control arm bushings and/or camber out of spec. Specifically I remember seeing wear like this a few years back on some B6 Audi A4's that was due to incorrect camber from the factory. IIRC there was a TSB for it. Either way, the wear pattern was very similar to yours and I distinctly remember it looking like someone took and grooved the very inner edge of the tire.

There doesn't appear to be scrubbing on your tires which would indicate excessive toe in/out, only the extreme wear on the inside edge. If it were me I would dial out camber and see if it helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #54
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbimmer1 View Post
I'm ASE certified, have been performing alignments for 10+ years, have attended training from Hunter Engineering in beginner and advanced alignment classes and have helped teach numerous hands on classes over the last 3 years that were led by Hunter Engineering. My best judgement says that this is a camber issue. When I have seen wear like this it is worn balljoints/control arm bushings and/or camber out of spec. Specifically I remember seeing wear like this a few years back on some B6 Audi A4's that was due to incorrect camber from the factory. IIRC there was a TSB for it. Either way, the wear pattern was very similar to yours and I distinctly remember it looking like someone took and grooved the very inner edge of the tire.

There doesn't appear to be scrubbing on your tires which would indicate excessive toe in/out, only the extreme wear on the inside edge. If it were me I would dial out camber and see if it helps.
hm so you think -2.5 would do that? i can dail it in to see if that helps i guess. what about toe? is .05 good or should i ask for more postive toe in?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 07:03 PM   #55
Vincent_E90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E90 335i 6MT BSM

You mind me asking what wheel shop in the Bay Area you're taking it to?

If you still have the OEM control arms maybe get those installed again and see if that fixes it.
Mine - 2008 E90 335i Black Sapphire Metallic 6MT | New OEM Turbos @ 111k| Cobb Stage 2 LT Sport | Full Stainless Steel Akrapovic Exhaust | 5'' Stepped FMIC | VRSF Catless Downpipes| 19in BBS CH-R Matte Black | aFe Stage 2 Air Intake and air scoops| Mishimoto OCC| M-Tech Front Bumper
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 10:38 PM   #56
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

The M3 lower arms are longer than the stock one. They contribute a small bit to your total camber. You have adjustable top hats so that's where most of your adjustment comes from. Because the lower arms are longer, your toe would've been dangerously out if a wheel alignment was not done before driving it. For all M3 arms, i recommend aligning it as per stock and go from there. That way you have a known good baseline to assess from - you dont want to attribute the sharper steering to your expensive arms when you could've achieved the same with a more aggressive alignment.

Gunnexq, SZP5A is the BMW option code for Performance suspension. Not all alignment systems will have it.

IMO -2.5* is a lot of camber for street use. I am almost a degree less and the outer tread section of my PSS tyres rarely touches the road. But then again, roads are shit here, traffic is ridiculous and cops are everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 11:10 AM   #57
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SSii M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iturbo_bmw View Post
hm so you think -2.5 would do that? i can dail it in to see if that helps i guess. what about toe? is .05 good or should i ask for more postive toe in?
I'd leave toe right now but i'd pull a degree of camber. That would get you close to the edge of the recommended spec.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 01:16 PM   #58
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_E90 View Post
You mind me asking what wheel shop in the Bay Area you're taking it to?

If you still have the OEM control arms maybe get those installed again and see if that fixes it.
i've gone to speed element and sonic ms

Quote:
The M3 lower arms are longer than the stock one. They contribute a small bit to your total camber. You have adjustable top hats so that's where most of your adjustment comes from. Because the lower arms are longer, your toe would've been dangerously out if a wheel alignment was not done before driving it. For all M3 arms, i recommend aligning it as per stock and go from there. That way you have a known good baseline to assess from - you dont want to attribute the sharper steering to your expensive arms when you could've achieved the same with a more aggressive alignment.

Gunnexq, SZP5A is the BMW option code for Performance suspension. Not all alignment systems will have it.

IMO -2.5* is a lot of camber for street use. I am almost a degree less and the outer tread section of my PSS tyres rarely touches the road. But then again, roads are shit here, traffic is ridiculous and cops are everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbimmer1 View Post
I'd leave toe right now but i'd pull a degree of camber. That would get you close to the edge of the recommended spec.
thanks guys, i will drop down my camber and see if that helps. weird thing is that the outside of my front tires still gets shredded - which is why i went with more camber in the first place. i do take lots of hard turns and go on spirited drives often. i guess i gotta live with the outside wear, take a look at the pic
Attached Images

Last edited by iturbo_bmw; 05-24-2017 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #59
Vincent_E90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E90 335i 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iturbo_bmw View Post
i've gone to speed element and sonic ms
Hmm I've heard good things about Sonic MS. I usually go to Cali Wheels in Campbell, they've done really good work there. Hope you get this sorted out and update if you find out what it is.
Mine - 2008 E90 335i Black Sapphire Metallic 6MT | New OEM Turbos @ 111k| Cobb Stage 2 LT Sport | Full Stainless Steel Akrapovic Exhaust | 5'' Stepped FMIC | VRSF Catless Downpipes| 19in BBS CH-R Matte Black | aFe Stage 2 Air Intake and air scoops| Mishimoto OCC| M-Tech Front Bumper
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #60
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2007 Auto

Very weird..... so turns out your outside gets shredded too? Not only inside? Is your tire pressure ok?
Appreciate 0