E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD Boost/Load by gear (Launch)

04-26-2021, 02:09 AM   #1
Phoenixg
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Location: GTA / KW V2/Apex Arc 8 Wheels/ FBO/ Hawk HPS 5.0/Stainless Lines/ M-tech/ LCI/CIC

MHD Boost/Load by gear (Launch)

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere, but I cannot find my answer whatsoever. Context, I am about to flash my car from MHD stage 2 -> stage 2+. Currently running 275s MP4s in the rear and havent had an issue with grip just yet.

1. What is the suggested load by gear settings for those on stock turbos running 2+? Ideally I want to hook in 1st so somewhere near stock boost (8-12psi) and then turn it up in 2nd, and then max in 3rd gear. However, MHD runs on load by gear and I am not sure how to transition those numbers into PSI.

Just looking to perfect the way the car launches but if this "Boost/Load by gear" will affect drivability I won't use it. Yes I know our cars are not drag cars, however I still wouldn't mind not spinning throughout 1st and second with the increase in power.

Thanks in advance!

(E92 335i 6MT)

Last edited by Phoenixg; 04-29-2021 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 08:00 AM   #2
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I've thought about playing around with the Boost By Gear settings in MHD, but never have. Honestly, I'd rather use the gas pedal to modulate power vs. having MHD do it for me. If you are on a sticky track, or a sticky section of pavement....I want to be able to put as much power down as I can...I don't want to be limited.

That being said....if you do want to use the boost by gear settings.....it's really going to take some experimenting around with your car, your setup, your tires, your pavement, etc,etc..... something as small as 1psi difference in settings might be the difference between hooking up, or spinning.

With a dedicated drag car it might be worth it to really get it dialed in........but with so many variables on the street, I just use the throttle 👍
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2021, 10:31 PM   #3
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixg View Post
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere, but I cannot find my answer whatsoever. Context, I am about to flash my car from MHD stage 2 -> stage 2+. Currently running 275s MP4s in the rear and havent had an issue with grip just yet.

1. What is the suggested load by gear settings for those on stock turbos running 2+? Ideally I want to hook in 1st so somewhere near stock boost (8-12psi) and then turn it up in 2nd, and then max in 3rd gear. However, MHD runs on load by gear and I am not sure how to transition those numbers into PSI.

Just looking to perfect the way the car launches but if this "Boost/Load by gear" will affect drivability I won't use it. Yes I know our cars are not drag cars, however I still wouldn't mind not spinning throughout 1st and second with the increase in power.

Thanks in advance!
Are you on ZF or DCT?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 10:34 PM   #4
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Are you on ZF or DCT?
His profile car says 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 11:01 PM   #5
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
His profile car says 6MT
Ok, didn't check his profile, was going to suggest use the torque limiters in XHP to do a similar job, I guess boost by gear is only available on the ZF cars and Load by gear on the manual ones?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 01:51 PM   #6
Phoenixg
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Location: GTA / KW V2/Apex Arc 8 Wheels/ FBO/ Hawk HPS 5.0/Stainless Lines/ M-tech/ LCI/CIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
I've thought about playing around with the Boost By Gear settings in MHD, but never have. Honestly, I'd rather use the gas pedal to modulate power vs. having MHD do it for me. If you are on a sticky track, or a sticky section of pavement....I want to be able to put as much power down as I can...I don't want to be limited.

That being said....if you do want to use the boost by gear settings.....it's really going to take some experimenting around with your car, your setup, your tires, your pavement, etc,etc..... something as small as 1psi difference in settings might be the difference between hooking up, or spinning.

With a dedicated drag car it might be worth it to really get it dialed in........but with so many variables on the street, I just use the throttle 👍
Good perspective, in my mind im thinking MHD has dialled in their load by gear well enough so I wanted to reach out to the community for that feedback to see if anyone has been utilizing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 05:34 PM   #7
Silent9n54
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

(E92 335i 6MT)
just play with it and see what boost you hit, there is no exact load = boost, try 80 load and see if its 8psi in first and maybe 150 load for 15 psi in 2nd
      04-29-2021, 11:20 PM   #8
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

(E92 335i 6MT)
Have you tried em MHD and asking them?

Mhd.tuning@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 05:57 AM   #9
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I thought MHD let you set a boost limit (psi) per gear? I thought XHP was what you could use to set torque/load per gear?
Appreciate 0