E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > Should I go for BMW Performance Intake for my 323? Please advise!

11-29-2009, 01:45 PM   #23
Renus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by willchan711 View Post
Thanks for your comment. But I think an M3 owner may tell the same thing to an 330 / 335 owner who trying to modify their car. I fully understand what to expect from a 323 but if just $8500 can make it feel better in coming years I think that's very worth.

I just want a more responsive 323 so someone with BMW performance intake please share with me

Hahaha, you don't know heartware's 335i can kill M3 easily after mod, and all mod costs are still far cheaper than to buy a M3 here in Hong Kong, his 335i is upto 44x hps my dear ^ ^.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #24
jtcl
Love my F32!
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 Estroil Blue II

Garage List
2007 E90 323iA  [0.00]
Thanks Renus and Heartware.

Think of course trading up the car is cool. However, not at this stage. It would be two years till the next 3 series come or may be F10, then I will go up the ladder to 335 or above.

The mod that I suppose most of us over here in HK do is 80% for fun. Its not like overseas that we can race against others or go on a track... How fast offically can we drive in HK? 110 km per hour!.....

Thus even with stock car, it's still more than enough. Not to mention buying 335 or M3 etc... Essentially, it's not a need. It's luxury!

So, sometimes, it's just for fun. I would say, even one like Mr G have a 335, t and al have 330, then all of us would still MOD?!...for performance? no , I think.

Anyway, your point is well undertaken! Thanks.

Last edited by jtcl; 11-29-2009 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 09:26 PM   #25
wkmark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 320i E90

I agree with jtcl, the reason i mod my lowly "320i" is because of the fun factor. Yeah if i want a fast car and have the $$$ i might as well get a Porsche or something like that. And with HK roads and speed traps, honestly it's pretty hard to drive the car to it's full potential. One thing i enjoy about modding my car is that it's more personal to me. Every little thing I put in there is like I partly help built it to the way it is now. So it's more meaningful to me. for my car, i have better brake kit on it then I actually need, but hey, it's good to know that i can stop on a dime now.

So back to the performance intake... were you talking about intake of exhaust? I thought u were talking about intake, but ended up talking about exhaust?
M-tech Bumper Hamann splitters,Breyton side skirts,Rear Spoiler,Blackline;OZ Superturismo GT Rims 18";Falkin Tires 255/35ZR;Hamann Foot pedals,Handbrakes;CF Roundrel on front,back and steering wheel;Illuminated Door Still Strips;Sprint Booster;PSS10,CF Front Grille,Eibach Anti-Roll Bar, Remus twin pipe Exhaust,Gruppe M Intake,Tarox brake kit 6 pot F/4 pot R
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #26
Renus
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkmark View Post
I agree with jtcl, the reason i mod my lowly "320i" is because of the fun factor. Yeah if i want a fast car and have the $$$ i might as well get a Porsche or something like that. And with HK roads and speed traps, honestly it's pretty hard to drive the car to it's full potential. One thing i enjoy about modding my car is that it's more personal to me. Every little thing I put in there is like I partly help built it to the way it is now. So it's more meaningful to me. for my car, i have better brake kit on it then I actually need, but hey, it's good to know that i can stop on a dime now.

So back to the performance intake... were you talking about intake of exhaust? I thought u were talking about intake, but ended up talking about exhaust?

That's why there is maniac mod his E93 325i with front 8-pot and rear 4-pot brembo kit, as well as the Boca hood, bodykit and others, for me I think it is really wasted, but for fun or just for show outlook, I think it is ok.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #27
jtcl
Love my F32!
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 323iA  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renus View Post
That's why there is maniac mod his E93 325i with front 8-pot and rear 4-pot brembo kit, as well as the Boca hood, bodykit and others, for me I think it is really wasted, but for fun or just for show outlook, I think it is ok.
Your Mod is also seriously maniac...

To be frankly, these are all personal....its either you like it, or not. the one install those can say, oh yes, the 8-pot is really cool, and can stop efficienctly.

Back to the discussion, lets see how the in-take goes,.....hope as Mr. G pointed out that it will make the car a bit more responsive.

Last edited by jtcl; 12-01-2009 at 03:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 03:04 AM   #28
M_M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

well if you r just looking for a bit more power and responsiveness, just snap up a bms power box and call it a day. but from a cosmetic perspective, then its not a bad pick, it really is a top notch quality thing and its genuine, altho for such amount I'd spend it on some other "visiable" stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 03:25 AM   #29
little_croco
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Monaco Blue/Beige

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renus View Post
Renus, I assumed you are appreciating the mods by referring "maniac"... haha

btw, your E92 look is also maniac-tic...
E90 330i VB32 Monaco Blue/Beige/BurledWalnut - Prodrive GC-014I Forged 18" 8.5J/9.5J British Black + Michelin PSS 225/255 + Bilstein PSS10 + H&R ARBs + ACS bodykit + Brembo Gran Turismo Brake Kit 355-6F/345-4R + Rogue Engineering IKON exhaust kit + Simota Intake V2 + MFD Scoops + Blackline w/ red bulbs + PIAA H11 4700K fog + PIAA 6500K White Angel Eyes + MTEC 7000K license plate LED + GS-55 front doors LED + Valentine-1
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #30
Renus
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_croco View Post
Renus, I assumed you are appreciating the mods by referring "maniac"... haha

btw, your E92 look is also maniac-tic...

If mine is maniac, what about Barry's car?? Should we called him "God"? wahakakak
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #31
335 Freak
Bimmer Turbo Land
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: White E92 335I Coupe

Dear Renus,

To a certent extent, I believe those forum members are right and perhaps, you and me can be classified as a Maniac by purchasing a car with too much of reserve for the HK road and still, we modded it to yield for bigger output!!! I have to admit my maniac behaviour as I will find something to mod even if I purchased a Bimmer bicycle....... can you help me to look for a CF sticker so that, it will add 0.00001 mini second on my bicycle.......have fun with what you have, my friend.....
Lumma BDK, M3 CF Hood, I-Forged Triumph 19", AP-6pt-360FR, AP-4pt-345RR, M3 CF Lip, ACS CF RFS, CF Grill, JB3 3.0, Stett DV CHG Pipe + DCI + FMIC, NST Pulley, F+R Full M3 Susp Kits, M3 E92 Q-pipes Ex, UR Catless DP, Ohlins C/O, Eibach Sway, M3 Dash Cockpit, CF Wrap Interior, M3 CF Pedals, M5 Shft Knob, LED ATW, OSS Design BlackOut LED Angel Eyes!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #32
willchan711
Rep
Drives: 2007 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcl View Post
I will have mine installed soon.....let you know end of next week.
Hi jtcl, have you done with your Performance intake yet? Can you share with us? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #33
jtcl
Love my F32!
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 323iA  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by willchan711 View Post
Hi jtcl, have you done with your Performance intake yet? Can you share with us? Thanks!
tmr......its a long story though
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #34
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

injen intakes are much cheaper and much better quality
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #35
335 Freak
Bimmer Turbo Land
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: White E92 335I Coupe

Isn't that a warranty issue in which, he has to pay the extra $$ for the BMW Intake??
Lumma BDK, M3 CF Hood, I-Forged Triumph 19", AP-6pt-360FR, AP-4pt-345RR, M3 CF Lip, ACS CF RFS, CF Grill, JB3 3.0, Stett DV CHG Pipe + DCI + FMIC, NST Pulley, F+R Full M3 Susp Kits, M3 E92 Q-pipes Ex, UR Catless DP, Ohlins C/O, Eibach Sway, M3 Dash Cockpit, CF Wrap Interior, M3 CF Pedals, M5 Shft Knob, LED ATW, OSS Design BlackOut LED Angel Eyes!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 08:16 PM   #36
jtcl
Love my F32!
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 323iA  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 Freak View Post
Isn't that a warranty issue in which, he has to pay the extra $$ for the BMW Intake??
Installation of all intake has to be examined by TD in HK. This is the offical answer from BMWHK.

As a result, installation of any other things NOT BMW Performance Intake is highly likely to result in a fail in the examination by TD.

To be frank, I would prefer to stick with OEM (BMW Designed) parts rather than any other parts on the market, just because that its guaranteed to fit/trouble-free.....
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #37
Bimmer /E93
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E93 (Sold), Z4 35i on board

I am not sure if I get it, what TD has to do with that?
Are you saying after the car is 7 yrs old, you will need to pass it by the TD inspection to get your car license renewed?
If so, well keep your OEM intake and on that day, a night before take out your Mod air intake and put back the OEM one.. Get it inspected, et voila...

Or am I missing something here??
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #38
jtcl
Love my F32!
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 323iA  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer /E93 View Post
I am not sure if I get it, what TD has to do with that?
Are you saying after the car is 7 yrs old, you will need to pass it by the TD inspection to get your car license renewed?
If so, well keep your OEM intake and on that day, a night before take out your Mod air intake and put back the OEM one.. Get it inspected, et voila...

Or am I missing something here??
NO.

Modified parts in HK, including Brakes, Engine-related parts, etc...has to be examined by TD. If you change any of these and drive on the road, there is a risk that you are being charged for illegal modification of cars.

So, thats why BMWHK will bring you car to TD for examination (one car by one car!) if you install those parts offically at BMWHK.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #39
Bimmer /E93
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
NO.

Modified parts in HK, including Brakes, Engine-related parts, etc...has to be examined by TD. If you change any of these and drive on the road, there is a risk that you are being charged for illegal modification of cars.

So, thats why BMWHK will bring you car to TD for examination (one car by one car!) if you install those parts offically at BMWHK.
So what you are saying, that ever time you buy a mod from BMWHK. They take it to the TD and get it approved? Do they give you a certificate for that?
How do you know they did get it approved?
It sounds a little weird for me.. They license a tuner shop, and when you buy and install from them, they may consider you illegal??
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 07:32 AM   #40
jtcl
Love my F32!
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 323iA  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer /E93 View Post
So what you are saying, that ever time you buy a mod from BMWHK. They take it to the TD and get it approved? Do they give you a certificate for that?
How do you know they did get it approved?
It sounds a little weird for me.. They license a tuner shop, and when you buy and install from them, they may consider you illegal??
Please read my message clearly.......its NOT every mod from BMWHK. ITs just certain MOD.

I believe TD is NOT licensing a tuner shop, ever if it does, its just the shop can do the mod, but NOT related to the fact that you still need to get your car examined.

Another member in this forum just purchased the Performance Brakes at BMWHK, and the install + TD examination takes approx. 2 weeks....

I would suggest that you go to TD website and look at their policy. for example: Guide to Notifiable Alteration – Motor Vehicle
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #41
Bimmer /E93
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Please read my message clearly.......its NOT every mod from BMWHK. ITs just certain MOD.

I believe TD is NOT licensing a tuner shop, ever if it does, its just the shop can do the mod, but NOT related to the fact that you still need to get your car examined.

Another member in this forum just purchased the Performance Brakes at BMWHK, and the install + TD examination takes approx. 2 weeks....

I would suggest that you go to TD website and look at their policy. for example: Guide to Notifiable Alteration – Motor Vehicle
Ok, So I will research more on that... The BMWHK Performance brakes is a special case, cause I wanted to buy it myself from them and the part department told me 2 months ago, they can order it for me, but I will need to install it somewhere else, cause they still did not get licensed for that.

Which implies to me, that yes, the tuner shops are licensed to what they sell (?? emm...) who is the other member in this forum is? I want to check with him, if he got any certificate from TD or BMWHK. I think what he meant, BMWHK took 2 weeks to get TD permission to install???
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #42
little_croco
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Monaco Blue/Beige

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [6.00]
The situation is that all cars (should say "models") imported to HK are pre-examined/licensed by TD for a certain specifications. And cars are "officially allowed" on the road as long as they are kept in that spec. Any single modification (of course we are not talking about changing tyres, but tyres spec are "controlled" by some other regulations that we know, right?), should required inspection and then certification/licensing by TD to say that "ok, that car is safe to run on HK roads".

Again, as per my sharing in another thread, we don't challenge if such rules are being seriously executed by our Police, but there they are. We live in HK, we should know how this game is played...
E90 330i VB32 Monaco Blue/Beige/BurledWalnut - Prodrive GC-014I Forged 18" 8.5J/9.5J British Black + Michelin PSS 225/255 + Bilstein PSS10 + H&R ARBs + ACS bodykit + Brembo Gran Turismo Brake Kit 355-6F/345-4R + Rogue Engineering IKON exhaust kit + Simota Intake V2 + MFD Scoops + Blackline w/ red bulbs + PIAA H11 4700K fog + PIAA 6500K White Angel Eyes + MTEC 7000K license plate LED + GS-55 front doors LED + Valentine-1
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #43
Black Pig
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

Yes, I am the one who just sent my car to BMWHK for the Performance brake installation. And actually I am still waiting for the reply from BMWHK for what time I can get back my car.......it's almost 2 weeks since the 1st day........

What I know from BMWHK is I will get the certificate/approval letter from TD to prove my car is "Safe" to run on HK roads and after that I have to send this document to my insurance company have them informed.

Somehow....I don't worry much about being charged to be "Illegally MOD"....I may change my "original parts" back before the examination.......

The worst thing would be if I am involving a serious accident and the insurance company refuse to take the responsiblity accusing my car has MOD illegally.......

Supersprint exhasut system was my next target but I may change my mind becasue of this insurance issue.....
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #44
jtcl
Love my F32!
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 323iA  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Pig View Post
Yes, I am the one who just sent my car to BMWHK for the Performance brake installation. And actually I am still waiting for the reply from BMWHK for what time I can get back my car.......it's almost 2 weeks since the 1st day........

What I know from BMWHK is I will get the certificate/approval letter from TD to prove my car is "Safe" to run on HK roads and after that I have to send this document to my insurance company have them informed.

Somehow....I don't worry much about being charged to be "Illegally MOD"....I may change my "original parts" back before the examination.......

The worst thing would be if I am involving a serious accident and the insurance company refuse to take the responsiblity accusing my car has MOD illegally.......

Supersprint exhasut system was my next target but I may change my mind becasue of this insurance issue.....
Blackpig....thx.

For the exhaust, I am looking for options too....

With respect to Insurance, I am less concern. Think no one in the forum is concern about it anyway, otherwise, we simply won't MOD.
Appreciate 0