E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Zaino ZPC hazed, can't remove, help!!!!!

12-05-2007, 08:15 AM   #67
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPritchett View Post
From the product page on the Zaino website:

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

I used Z-PC and now the paint looks hazy. Is this normal?
Dark color surfaces, especially black, will sometimes leave you with a slightly hazy or milky surface after using Z-PC. Z-PC Fusion does not have any fillers or oils. To make the surface crystal clear, apply your ZFX enabled Z2 or Z5 to make this milky look go away, leaving a perfect, crisp, clear, BLACK and scratch free finish.
Most of you guys know me, and know I would normally never say something like this, but this advice from Sal is BS. He is telling people to fill in micromarring with a filler to remove it; it will come back. Here is what's happening in this thread, just so everyone is clear.

Jet Black paint is soft. Polishes use abrasives, they're like tiny bits of sand, when they break down they leave marks behind, and the marks they leave behind depend on the size of the abrasive in the polish, how well it's broken down, and the consistency of the paint. In this case Z-PC's was leaving a haze on soft jet black paint because it was not able to finish down clean (with no micromarring), probably because the abrasives in it will not break down small enough. These are marks in the paint, they will not go away unless you polish them away with a less abrasive/better finishing polish. Filling them with Z5 might work in the short term, but they are only *filled*.

George's advice to use 106ff or FPII was obviously on the mark, since it eventually worked. For those of you intending to polish with something that will leave a haze (IP, SIP, etc...) I would suggest just getting some FPII or better yet, 106ff to finish with. No offense to Zaino (the sealants are great), but Z-PC isn't the best finishing polish in my experience.

On a somewhat related note; the Menzerna cut guides are ok, but not great. For example they show both 8rd and 106ff as gloss 5, with 106ff having more cut. So what's the point of 8rd? Well, in some cases it does finish cleaner than 106ff. For most people 106ff is probably the easiest to use/will finish clean/decent cut abrasive for finishing.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 09:23 AM   #68
gdnyc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Jet Black

I'm glad Menzerna FP worked. If you haven't done so already, wash with dawn and go straight to Z-5 and Z-2. Don't worry about ZPC or AIO.
What a big difference from your initial pics and the latest ones..

BMW, please get rid of the RFT's and give us a spare tire!
Appreciate 0