E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Does anyone have the Umnitza P90 FX-R retrofit Headlights?

11-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #111
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

Umnitza FX-R Retrofit DEPO Projector90 Bi-Xenon headlights with Orion V2 angel eyes on my 2006 BMW 325i
click HD for highest quality

Took the video at optimum settings for HD video:

Canon 5D Mk II
50mm f/1.2 L
f/3.5
ISO 160 (lowest noise for video)
1/50 shutter speed
Edited with After Effects CS5 (only spliced content and added more contrast and did auto WB)

Things you may notice about the video:

- It's only 720P. The lossless 1080P file was just a bit too large for my free Vimeo account.

- The video is dark. I didn't want to totally over-expose when the headlights were turned on.

- There's some lens flare. The camera was set on a Manfrotto tripod at the same height as the headlights. Even with the best lenses, you'll always get some flare looking into that bright of light.

Things you may notice about the car:

- My car is SGM with a Hartge front lip on ZSP suspension, but I'd like to go lower. Here in Ohio though, it's tough to drive low cars, even in the summertime, cause the roads are so bad.

- I coded a corner delete, which is why the turn signals don't turn on until they're activated. SIDEMARKER_US to nicht_aktiv in the FRM module in NCSExpert.

- The 6000k Orion V2 angel eyes do not look very defined in the video. They are actually really defined in person, but the reason they look undefined is cause they're super bright. You could seriously drive at night with just the Orion V2 and see totally fine, but of course you would get pulled over.

- When the brights are turned on, the bi-xenon is activated as well as the inner halogen high beam (xenon-matched) which I think is super duper cool!

I'll be taking some pictures for you all as soon as I fix my headlight alignment.

Last edited by Trevendous03; 11-20-2011 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #112
jayt292
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

damn those are bright!!! think i need to get myself a set now too! but what's that light that's coming from looks like your windshield, purplish light
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #113
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtNJ92 View Post
damn those are bright!!! think i need to get myself a set now too! but what's that light that's coming from looks like your windshield, purplish light
That's the flare I was talking about from the lens. For some reason, the flare makes it look like the windshield has light coming from it. Idk why it reflected up there, but it did. haha
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #114
jayt292
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

oh okay, was thinking that you might have redone your inter lights lol. so just making sure about the order of the settings, when they first came on it was just the halos that light when you unlock your car (coded the ambers to not come on)-then the second one was low beams and halos, then the third was high beams with halos? then you flipped back and forth between the high and low setting?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #115
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevendous03 View Post

I'll be taking some pictures for you all as soon as I fix my headlight alignment.
damn these AEs are so bright!!

cant wait for the beam pattern pictures and the cutoffs!! that's the most important bit!

good luck aligning them!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #116
Nowak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328xi

I have a 2010 328xi but the projectors are said to be made for 2006 to 2008. Anyone know if these will still fit? I currently have halogens.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #117
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
oh okay, was thinking that you might have redone your inter lights lol. so just making sure about the order of the settings, when they first came on it was just the halos that light when you unlock your car (coded the ambers to not come on)-then the second one was low beams and halos, then the third was high beams with halos? then you flipped back and forth between the high and low setting?
Yes, that's correct, except for one thing. I wasn't able to code the Welcome Lights for AEs... I could not find a single line of code for my 2006 with WL in it. I actually got in the car and flipped the switch for the parking lamps/AEs. You can't really see me, cause the video is dark. I had to make it a dark video though, otherwise it would have been overexposed when I turned on the lights.

Umnitza matched the xenon (pretty closely) to my AEs. I'm thinking they used 5000k bulbs in the low beams. Not sure though.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #118
jayt292
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

so what are the specifics on the set you ordered, i've looked into these previously just wondering what options you selected for your set

projector 90 with predator orion v2, integrated led turn signals?, not sure what color xenon and type though

i have an 06 325i as well so this is very helpful really appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #119
anthonym96
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I installed my umnitza projectors on friday along with thr suppose error free hid kit.. Its raining here in socal and my right headlight is fogged up, my car is throwing like 3 different codes as of right now im not very happy.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 09:51 PM   #120
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonym96 View Post
I installed my umnitza projectors on friday along with thr suppose error free hid kit.. Its raining here in socal and my right headlight is fogged up, my car is throwing like 3 different codes as of right now im not very happy.
did you order yours with the headlight protective film? Also, what year car do you have?
Black 2008 328i e90-BMW Performance CF Strut Bar/Muffler delete/8000k Fogs Fogs/Trunk Spoiler/5% Tint/BlueTooth/JVC HU/AG M359 Wheels/Matte Black kidney grills/H&R Race Springs/Koni Yellows/Orion V2 Angel Eyes/EuroCharged Tune/
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #121
anthonym96
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by milly View Post
did you order yours with the headlight protective film? Also, what year car do you have?
I did not but the protective film doesnt help against the fogging, and I have a 2006.. I know thr prone to errors
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #122
jayt292
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

think the protective film will make much of a difference?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #123
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
so what are the specifics on the set you ordered, i've looked into these previously just wondering what options you selected for your set

projector 90 with predator orion v2, integrated led turn signals?, not sure what color xenon and type though

i have an 06 325i as well so this is very helpful really appreciate it
Car: Sedan
Pre-Installed: FX-R Retrofit
Bulbs: Predator Xenix
Angel Eyes: Predator Orion V2
Clear Film Protection: Headlight
Optional: Integrated LED Turn Signals
Color: 4300K
Xenon: FX-R Retrofit with Adapters 35W

I asked Umnitza if my bulbs were actually 4300k, because they looked to not have any yellow at all in them, and they said they matched them to my Orion V2. They look like 5000k to me.

Quote:
Did you get the FX-R Retrofit? It has been raining here, and I haven't had a headlight fog up... yet. If you didn't get the FX-R Retrofit, maybe it was the DEPO original sealant that wasn't very strong.

Quote:
I did not but the protective film doesnt help against the fogging, and I have a 2006.. I know thr prone to errors
I bought mine with the protective film, and I haven't received that film yet, but Umnitza said it's coming directly from Lamin-X. Also, I was upset at first when there were errors from these headlights, but I know that 2006 is always tricky. And there's no proper way to get rid of errors besides coding. I still even get an error after coding and my headlight still randomly goes out, but it's better than it was, and I'm sure with 2007+, it'd be a lot better.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 10:36 PM   #124
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
did you get the FX-R retrofit? i think fogging up is because the DEPO housing themselves are crap, but that's kinda expected because an ultra nice set of OEM E90 Xenons would cost more than 1600 from ProjectM.....

you may want to open up the back cover and use a hair dryer to blow hot, dry air into the housing to make the moisture go away? (or is there another more efficient way? anyone?)

could you please post beam patter, light distribution and cutoff shape for us please? i only bought these lights because the light distribution was advertised to be more superior even than OEMs....and i really DO HOPE they are,lol
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #125
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
btw, do you know any coders in the LA area? my set is going to arrive next week and i really need them for my road trip up to Portland this winter. if there are any errors whatsoever i need them coded out.

my car is a 2008 328i, i think it's built in 2007 , not sure if i'll be getting tons of errors...i hope not
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 11:11 PM   #126
didyoufeelit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: tiag e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
btw, do you know any coders in the LA area? my set is going to arrive next week and i really need them for my road trip up to Portland this winter. if there are any errors whatsoever i need them coded out.

my car is a 2008 328i, i think it's built in 2007 , not sure if i'll be getting tons of errors...i hope not
PM rotary rasp, he offers coding for a really good price
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 12:04 AM   #127
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
did you get the FX-R retrofit? i think fogging up is because the DEPO housing themselves are crap, but that's kinda expected because an ultra nice set of OEM E90 Xenons would cost more than 1600 from ProjectM.....

you may want to open up the back cover and use a hair dryer to blow hot, dry air into the housing to make the moisture go away? (or is there another more efficient way? anyone?)

could you please post beam patter, light distribution and cutoff shape for us please? i only bought these lights because the light distribution was advertised to be more superior even than OEMs....and i really DO HOPE they are,lol
I hear that opening up the headlight and using a hair dryer on low is the best way of clearing out the condensation, then re-sealing with a stronger sealant, so that it doesn't happen again. That's the long way of doing things...

When I drove a Honda Accord, I drilled a 1/8 inch hole in the very bottom corner of one of my headlights, and it helped a lot to get air flow into the headlight to pull out all the moisture. If moisture still collects, it will normally just move towards that hole and stay there till it's dried out with the sunlight. THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDED WAY OF FIXING THIS PROBLEM HOWEVER. It did work for me though on my old car.

I'll post some beam pattern pictures tonight. I tried to aim my headlights better, and I was only slightly able to fix them. The alignment looks decent, but it's not close to perfect, but it doesn't bother me. The passenger side is tilted a little compared to my driver side. I also just found a picture of BMW E90 stock xenon to show the difference in sharpness of cutoff. Anyone know how to aim the headlights horizontally?

Quote:

I doubt you'll get any errors, but if you do, trust me, it's so easy to code. Buy a cable from someone on the forums, so you get it sooner. I'll post a video on here when I get the chance to show you what I coded out.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 12:47 AM   #128
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevendous03 View Post
I hear that opening up the headlight and using a hair dryer on low is the best way of clearing out the condensation, then re-sealing with a stronger sealant, so that it doesn't happen again. That's the long way of doing things...
Doesn't umnitza open the housings to upgrade all of these units? They should seal them with a proper sealant. I would think you could send this back to them to correct.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:11 AM   #129
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

check out the e92 OEM xenon cutoff from here

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198894

not THAT good huh? i think of fx-r will be just fine.

cant wait to see trev's pics of the beam patterns and stuff!!

POST THEM!!~~
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:13 AM   #130
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

and here's one for E90 OEM xenon beam pattern

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351808
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:43 AM   #131
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
I ordered a cable on eBay and asked if he could ship another way sp it's faster. He told me DHL is 25$ but 3-5 days

So I did that
Black 2008 328i e90-BMW Performance CF Strut Bar/Muffler delete/8000k Fogs Fogs/Trunk Spoiler/5% Tint/BlueTooth/JVC HU/AG M359 Wheels/Matte Black kidney grills/H&R Race Springs/Koni Yellows/Orion V2 Angel Eyes/EuroCharged Tune/
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #132
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
Doesn't umnitza open the housings to upgrade all of these units? They should seal them with a proper sealant. I would think you could send this back to them to correct.
I was talking about the DEPO headlights in general using weak sealant. Umnitza does re-seal these, and it's withstood a few days of heavy rain here without fogging.

Quote:
check out the e92 OEM xenon cutoff from here

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198894

not THAT good huh? i think of fx-r will be just fine.

cant wait to see trev's pics of the beam patterns and stuff!!

POST THEM!!~~
I promise to post pics of mine later today. Had to charge my camera batteries last night. My main and my extra battery were both dead. haha

My cutoff is wayyyyy sharper than that! My alignment isn't that good, but it's because my passenger side is a little bit tilted. Doesn't bother me, but when I post, you will see it's not perfect alignment, so just focus on the cutoff. I'll also post a video of the color flicker. That's the most amazing part of these projectors IMO. Although, I'm very fond of the bixenon too!

I can't figure out how to adjust these projectors horizontally... anyone???
Appreciate 0