E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Does the n54 dynamically regulate boost?

10-20-2018, 07:02 PM   #1
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Does the n54 dynamically regulate boost?

I've been hunting down 30FF. I did a pressurized test and things went well.

I believe my wastegate actuator arm may be the culprit. But now I want to get a concept understood.

The car monitors boost levels right? The boost solenoids just applies vaccum to the wastegates - either opening them or closing them.

So I'm asking if the car can dynamically regulate boost levels. For example if my wastegate is leaking I believe it would only be leaking because it's not closing.

So if I were to adjust it .. then it may be able to close. Clearly adjusting the wastegate position throws off the default positions .. but with this vehicle it doesn't matter does it? Because essentially all my wastegate needs to do is open ... or close fully .... and then the solenoids can dynamically control wheather it needs to open more or close more to raise or lower boost ... right?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 07:20 AM   #2
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightning View Post
Yes and no.

If you have play on the wastegates (rattle), then the issue is the play on the turbo housing which causes the wastegate arm to close beyond "100%" and basically opening again.
Enough information (Youtube) to find on this.
I have researched it a ton.

What I'm getting at is that from my understanding the solenoid can either tell the wastegate to "open more" or "close more" ... it seems like if you have issues where your wastegate leaks it may be because it needs to "close more" but doesn't have any more distance to travel.

So the way I'm thinking about it is that if I adjust the actuator arm, the wastegate my close to a position it hadn't been able to reach ... which in that case the solenoid can tell it to close more and it will.

I guess I am imagining solenoids working overtime right now b/c they keep telling the wastegate to close and it doesn't because it can't reach full close.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightning View Post
Do you have logging to confirm this? (bad spool)
No i can’t log but am in the process of getting Mhd installed on stock map so i can log.

Do you know how you’d identify this from a log?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 09:05 AM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Is PID controlled and if you monitor PWM signal you will find out what the boost solenoid and waste gate actuators are doing. After adjusting the actuator length DME will need to relearn to operate them properly. Initially it might be very responsive engine but then it will tapper down to new normal.
Appreciate 0