E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Replaced battery now airbag light code 93b2?! HELP :(

02-29-2024, 12:16 PM   #45
Boutle
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bims328i View Post
When installing my new battery I noticed some of the wires could have easily been pinched while lowering because the correct battery is freaking heavy.

Are you certain no wires were damaged during the install?

When installing the new battery which terminal did you connect first?
Don't think any wires were pinched. Nothing looks damaged in that regard that could see. Reconnected the +ve first then the -ve.
Nothing appears to have blown, all airbags as was and BST is unfired.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 12:19 PM   #46
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boutle View Post
Hope my photos are visible now!
Photos are a SUCCESS!
Did you disconnect/Clean the larger connector on the Inboard side of battery, or the SMALLER connector at the actual BST on Outboard FRONT of battery next to (+) Battery Terminal?

If there is a loose connection ANYWHERE between the MRS (under center console armrest compartment) and the BST (smaller connector), the warning lights will appear indicating "Open (at least partially) Circuit". My 3/2007 build E91 does NOT have the larger connector. The two wires from MRS go Directly to the SMALL two-pin connector at (+) Battery Terminal/ Front of Battery.

Look at right edge of your LAST Photo posted. It shows that small 2-pin connector. It MAY be pulled out a mm or 2. Try simply pressing it INTO the BST (toward vehicle rear), and see if lights go out. If NOT, then gently "Jiggle" that connector and remove it, inspect pins & sockets, wire firmly connected to metal socket, Clean & reassemble.

If the issue began immediately AFTER battery replacement, and you have never disconnected (Intentionally at least ;-) that small connector, it is only reasonable to expect that one of the connectors was pulled loose, or perhaps a wire was pulled loose from one of the two connectors, when removing/ replacing the Rear Power Distribution Panel on top of the battery.

My E91 has all the room in the world to inspect and access the Battery. Your E93: NOT so much. So don't "Beat yourself up" if a connector or wiring was damaged. Hope you're NOW looking in "Right Place".
George
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 01:24 PM   #47
Boutle
Rep

Hi George
Managed to uncouple the larger plug in pic 1 and squirted contact cleaner in then recoupled it. First time that's ever been off the PDB and the plug is fastened down & wiring kind of clamped in place. Pushed the plug carefully & firmly back together.
The wire coming outboard is the wire that's directly
Goes to the BST plug.

As yet, haven't pulled the BST ingiter plug out because not sure if it does or indeed how. Squirted contact cleaner over it. Probably a pointless exercise.

See what u mean about the wires going into that plug tho. Possibly are pulled out a bit looking at the magnified image. , I'm not sure. I'll have another look tomoz.

No, never attempted to unplug that (BST connector) in the past either because I've never had this issue despite having removed and replaced the previous batteries a few times.

Looking at other pics, I would say my BST is of the old style? So will the BST igniter plug, plug in, in-line longitudinally ie pins parallel to the BST?
Not entirely sure what you mean by "jiggle it"

So yes, all this happened yesterday directly AFTER I'd put the new battery back in place & coupled it up.

When you say ...."see if the lights go out", does this mean I should be wiggling those wires whilst the battery is fully connected -ve & +ve with the iignition button pressed (but not engine started)?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 01:30 PM   #48
Boutle
Rep

If the ignition is on ( but no engine running ) and let's say there IS a wire loose on the BST igniter plug and by wiggling it, contact is re-made; could that fire the BST?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 02:49 PM   #49
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

"Suffice to say, the seat belt & airbag lights along with the fault warning are still displayed."

In my experience, once that fault warning is triggered it won't clear itself even if you made that connection good again. You have to get the fault cleared by INPA or something similar.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 03:32 PM   #50
Boutle
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
"Suffice to say, the seat belt & airbag lights along with the fault warning are still displayed."

In my experience, once that fault warning is triggered it won't clear itself even if you made that connection good again. You have to get the fault cleared by INPA or something similar.
Hello. Im not sure I've yet made the connection good again though because each time I've attended to it; I've then used BimmerLink to read the fault codes , and reset them using BimmerLink but upon re starting the car, the faults reappear on the dash. Physical fault still persists somewhere I'd say 🙁
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 10:49 AM   #51
Boutle
Rep

FIXED IT!!

Basically, although you can't see it in the pics I posted previously, one of the tiny wires that come out of the plug that goes into the BST igniter unit, was broken so I discovered when I lmanaged to remove the black plastic shroud that surrounds it and actually get the little plug off.
I then removed the whole wire array (it's about 7" long), the black/yellow plug at one end and the BST igniter plug at the other, and soldered the broken wire back together.

I then couple everything back up and used BimmerLink to erase the fault memory which it did and all's well again; no more airbag & seatbelt warning lights.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 10:57 AM   #52
Boutle
Rep

Btw, the above pics aren't from my car. I found them when looking for BST connectors details as I wanted to see what form it took especially on the plug/igniter. On the plug close up with the green & red wire, my are the original black wires, one of them being broken and ultimately soldered together by me!

Anyway, thanks to everyone who provided assistance; highly appreciated and if any one has the same/similar issue, drop me a line and I'll do my best to help you. ������
Appreciate 2
jbash87249.50
PhaseP1005.50