E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Ess | Aa | Bpc

06-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #45
jonwilli
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E81 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoserBMW View Post
Stay tuned...

Just dropped off my N52 in North Carolina with BPC and the guys to see what they can do with the supercharger/headers combo.

I will be going into much greater detail as this progresses, but for now... we wait.
Did BPC give you any idea how long it would take to do the work on your car? Have you heard anything since last week?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #46
MoserBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwilli View Post
Did BPC give you any idea how long it would take to do the work on your car? Have you heard anything since last week?
The supercharger had some shipping issues, but will be arriving on Wednesday. The car and the headers are already there, so I would think a day or so after then there should be an update. Originally the timeframe I was given was a week or two (Once work was started on the car), but we'll see how it goes. I'd like to make it clear that the hold up on progress is on me, and not BPC.
      06-18-2017, 12:04 AM   #47
jonwilli
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The supercharger had some shipping issues, but will be arriving on Wednesday. The car and the headers are already there, so I would think a day or so after then there should be an update. Originally the timeframe I was given was a week or two (Once work was started on the car), but we'll see how it goes. I'd like to make it clear that the hold up on progress is on me, and not BPC.
Thanks for the update. These things ALWAYs take longer than expected for one reason or another!! Will be really interesting to see what the outcome is. If the BPC tune gives some extra power have you any plans to drop a pulley size, add intercooler, BOV etc?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 09:41 AM   #48
MoserBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update. These things ALWAYs take longer than expected for one reason or another!! Will be really interesting to see what the outcome is. If the BPC tune gives some extra power have you any plans to drop a pulley size, add intercooler, BOV etc?
I definitely plan on doing a smaller pulley, and everything that comes after that I will be taking it as it goes. I do have an N54 intake manifold that I plan on putting on eventually, but maybe not right away because this is really for BPC to get the info that they wanted regarding the headers and supercharger combo, and once that is all sorted out we are going to weigh our options.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #49
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 130i M/T

Quote:
I definitely plan on doing a smaller pulley, and everything that comes after that I will be taking it as it goes. I do have an N54 intake manifold that I plan on putting on eventually, but maybe not right away because this is really for BPC to get the info that they wanted regarding the headers and supercharger combo, and once that is all sorted out we are going to weigh our options.
Interested to see how your car develops!
In case you are considering an intercooler at some point, will you be using a complete aftermarket set up?

I am thinking once my car is proved to be running as stable as I expected, I will add an intercooler as well. Will a N54 oem intercooler setup fits?
      06-19-2017, 04:36 AM   #50
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubricks View Post
Interested to see how your car develops!
In case you are considering an intercooler at some point, will you be using a complete aftermarket set up?

I am thinking once my car is proved to be running as stable as I expected, I will add an intercooler as well. Will a N54 oem intercooler setup fits?
An oem location will be extremely difficult to use as an option only because the intake path starts on the right and up thru the left, straight into the sc location. The only cooling capabilities that may be possible are either meth or e85. If you plan on keeping boost around 8, the fueling would be sufficient, and be able to make power from its octane and cooling.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #51
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB View Post
If you plan on keeping boost around 8, the fueling would be sufficient, and be able to make power from its octane and cooling.
NO, Do you know what the charge intake air will be at 8 pounds boost?
Well over 200*F! This will not be cooled by the fuel injected at the port.

You're right that a air-air or air to water IC will be difficult to package and expensive $1000-$1500.
An easier, effective and relatively inexpensive IC is a WMI. This is a chemical/liquid intercooling. It will easily remove 50-70*F from the charge intake air temps. The cooling will increase power by 5-7% and will drop boost by 1psi due to the cooler air and then pulleying to bring back boost will add another 5-10% more power.
Same boost as before, WMI and lower charge intake air temp and 10-17% more power at the same boost level.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #52
Bob@BPC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Update:

Its going on the dyno today for baseline pulls
Appreciate 5
      06-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #53
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post

You're right that a air-air or air to water IC will be difficult to package and expensive $1000-$1500.
An easier, effective and relatively inexpensive IC is a WMI. This is a chemical/liquid intercooling. It will easily remove 50-70*F from the charge intake air temps. The cooling will increase power by 5-7% and will drop boost by 1psi due to the cooler air and then pulleying to bring back boost will add another 5-10% more power.
Same boost as before, WMI and lower charge intake air temp and 10-17% more power at the same boost level.
You also will not have the lag or pressure drop of a IC. WIM FTW
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 12:29 PM   #54
John@BPC
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, M4, M5

Baseline power figures-
WHP: 208
WTQ: 196
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-19-2017, 12:53 PM   #55
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BPC View Post
Baseline power figures-
WHP: 208
WTQ: 196
that is without headers ? and no 3 stage intake right? ... Stock , seems a bit high for stock and a bit low for headers hehe
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #56
Bob@BPC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
that is without headers ? and no 3 stage intake right? ... Stock , seems a bit high for stock and a bit low for headers hehe
Not sure if it has a tune or not, im pulling the file now, looks like it has a muffler delete and a CAI installed. Stock intake & exhaust manifolds.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #57
MoserBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@BPC View Post
Not sure if it has a tune or not, im pulling the file now, looks like it has a muffler delete and a CAI installed. Stock intake & exhaust manifolds.
Has aFe sport intake, AA Gen 1 exhaust, and BMS powerbox right now. Stock intake manifold and no headers.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #58
jonwilli
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Has aFe sport intake, AA Gen 1 exhaust, and BMS powerbox right now. Stock intake manifold and no headers.
What do BMW quote as standard numbers for your car? Sorry I am based in Europe and the N52's have quite different power outputs.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 05:13 PM   #59
dancing__narwhal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 m340ix

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@BPC View Post
So he's at about 10whp over stock from intake, exhaust, and BMS... sounds about right.

Anyone wanna place bets on the whp for SC + headers combo when BPC is done with it?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 05:15 PM   #60
dancing__narwhal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What do BMW quote as standard numbers for your car? Sorry I am based in Europe and the N52's have quite different power outputs.
Stock numbers at the crank are 230hp and 200lb-ft. I think wheel horsepower figures for a manual are usually around 190-200 if it's 100% stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 07:06 PM   #61
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaultiere View Post
So he's at about 10whp over stock from intake, exhaust, and BMS... sounds about right.

Anyone wanna place bets on the whp for SC + headers combo when BPC is done with it?
I m a bit skeptical as usual ...

Someone already showed a dyno with 295 whp with just the SC and a custom tune so that was a lot better than the 260 whp other members have shown with the same supercharger. Although everydyno is different

100 WHP increase would be very nice to see , considering they are starting at around 210 whp , anything above 300 whp with SC , header combo would exceed my expectations. I m still not sure why OP did not add 3 stage intake on top of that since it is relative cheap , unless he already has one from factory

I m playing it safe and guessing around 290 WHP , as I m trusting bpc custom tune would bump up the power to get close to 300 at the wheels .
Im actually more interested in the lower end power increase and torque numbers as I have been pretty disappointing in that area with ESS SC

Lets not forget there ESS said AA headers actually don't increase the power, so lets see how true that is
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #62
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 130i M/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaultiere View Post
Stock numbers at the crank are 230hp and 200lb-ft. I think wheel horsepower figures for a manual are usually around 190-200 if it's 100% stock.
I don't see why the number matters at all really.

As far as I know and have witness, EVERY single dyno out there reads differently. Some are more optimistic, some less so, some give high hp figure, some give high tq. None of this matters, what important is the difference in baseline and after everything is done.

Quote:
Someone already showed a dyno with 295 whp with just the SC and a custom tune so that was a lot better than the 260 whp other members have shown with the same supercharger. Although everydyno is different
That would be me.
Both figure/graph you mentioned are produced by the same dyno on the same car but on a different day.

Last edited by Kubricks; 06-19-2017 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 07:58 PM   #63
MoserBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I m a bit skeptical as usual ...

100 WHP increase would be very nice to see , considering they are starting at around 210 whp , anything above 300 whp with SC , header combo would exceed my expectations. I m still not sure why OP did not add 3 stage intake on top of that since it is relative cheap , unless he already has one from factory

I m playing it safe and guessing around 290 WHP , as I m trusting bpc custom tune would bump up the power to get close to 300 at the wheels .
Im actually more interested in the lower end power increase and torque numbers as I have been pretty disappointing in that area with ESS SC

Lets not forget there ESS said AA headers actually don't increase the power, so lets see how true that is
I don't plan on staying with the stock manifold for long, if not at all. There is a N54 manifold that is at BPC with the guys, but they will not be installing it right away because this is the beta tune, and they want to deal with just the headers and SC first. It is also not a direct bolt on, so there would also need to be some custom fabrication of additional parts as well. Once that is figured out, I will be looking into all my options and deciding where to go from there. (Meth, etc, etc)
      06-19-2017, 08:50 PM   #64
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I still doubt a single stage or even N54 manifold would be better than the 3si under boot. Especially with a supercharger, where low RPM gains are minimal, i think you're just giving up low end torque with little to no upside.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 09:46 PM   #65
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post

Yes of course I do, the sc now is running between 6-7 psi if boost stock, for another 1lb of boost, would you go thru all that trouble to run an ic when meth/e85 would be sufficient? Turbos run a lot hotter hence a ic at low boost, there are a lot of real mounts running up to 10psi, with a ic, the charge isn't hot enough to to justify for one. The sc runs much cooler, I did state meth would be a better option, at least that's what I thought I typed..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #66
dancing__narwhal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I still doubt a single stage or even N54 manifold would be better than the 3si under boot. Especially with a supercharger, where low RPM gains are minimal, i think you're just giving up low end torque with little to no upside.
What is the argument for the n54 manifold anyway? Is the n52 single stage manifold somehow more constricted than the n54?
Appreciate 0