E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Injector Cleaning - Ultrasonic

09-09-2019, 02:47 AM   #1
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330

Injector Cleaning - Ultrasonic

Hi,

Going to be pulling my injectors this weekend coming to complete other work and wanted to known:

How best to pull the injectors - warm or cold engine?
Has anyone cleaned their injectors (nozzle) using a ultrasonic bath and special cleaner?

My plan is to either dip the nozzles in without removing them and cleaning them, or removing just the nozzle and cleaning them individually.

Any advice on this?

I’ve read this thread which looked promising.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ector-cleaning

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 07:50 AM   #2
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

I might consider rebuilding with new tips. New replacement is the best option. End-user cleaning was a thing back in the pre-piezo days, but even then, taking them to a good pump shop or bosch-certified service location was always the best route for that approach. I paid $100 to get a set cleaned and pop pressures set 10 years ago. No idea what that industry looks like today.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 08:03 AM   #3
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah, there’s quite expensive now. Tested and refurbished are £170 each. Compared to a heated cleaner and fluid for £60. Worth a shot I think.

I’m not going to do a full strip down and clean, I’ll try just doing the nozzles first. But depends on whether it looks too complicated removing it. So might just be 30 mins with the nozzle in the cleaner.

Anyone replaced nozzles? The bit I am concerned with is the tiny shim. Does this go back in one way, or is it reversible. Videos on YouTube done seem to bothered, but one said it has too.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #4
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

BUMP, BUMP, BUMP

so, I've spoken to a few reconditioning companies, some will touch them and others wont. This is because our injectors are the latest gen diesel injectors Piezo Bosch injectors which are a PITA if they go wrong.

However, I found out that the retaining nut is 55NM and the internals are not as fiddly as the previous generation injectors.

Has anyone opened up their piezo injectors and put them back with positive results?

I would like to remove the nozzles and give them a good soak in the cleaner. However, one company said I would be depressurizing the cartridge (this is filled with diesel and pressed together in a special tool). I won't be touching this when I clean them, just the nozzle and potentially the separator between the nozzle and the valve.

This is what I have found online:

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 07:53 PM   #5
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

i don't think anyone has taken them apart with the intentions of cleaning / fixing.. I know of one person who took a bad injector apart "just because"..

I have an injector that was donated by one of my customers. its bad and one day I will see if I can take it apart and fix / clean, but im in no rush to do it..
      09-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #6
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

From my understanding, repairing it fairly easy providing the solenoid, Piezo bit is working. Can carry out tests with a multimeter. After the Piezo bit, it’s mechanical - hydraulic amplifier (casing, springs and piston) all compressed with diesel in. Then it’s a valve with a shim and spring. Then what I think is a secondary valve or shim, then nozzle with a pin, two spacers and a spring.

I’m hoping that i’ll be able to just clean the nozzle and potentially the valves if showing signs of vanish/carbon/contamination.

Won’t be touching the amplifier as it would need recharging in a special press.

Anyone taken these apart with success and plead it after?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 10:43 PM   #7
janboshoff
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 335d

Speaking from experience - DON'T take them apart. There is a factory seal on the main thread that is impossible to get sealing again. I took 4 apart to clean, ended up with 4 injectors that failed the pressure test on the bench, even when trying all kinds of thread sealant.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #8
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by janboshoff View Post
Speaking from experience - DON'T take them apart. There is a factory seal on the main thread that is impossible to get sealing again. I took 4 apart to clean, ended up with 4 injectors that failed the pressure test on the bench, even when trying all kinds of thread sealant.
Did you clean the cartridge? the amplifier that is like a cylinder?

I was thinking of just cleaning the nozzle, pin and maybe the valve. I ended up just cleaning the nozzles without removing, unsure if it made much difference to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 10:57 AM   #9
janboshoff
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txs330D View Post
Quote:
Did you clean the cartridge? the amplifier that is like a cylinder?

I was thinking of just cleaning the nozzle, pin and maybe the valve. I ended up just cleaning the nozzles without removing, unsure if it made much difference to be honest.
I took injectors apart by unscrewing the body.

If you are unsure about state of the injectors, have them tested at a Bosch certified shop.

Thompson Diesel in Tulsa is a great vendor for this purpose - and their prices are the lowest anywhere if you need replacement.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 12:28 PM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:

If you are unsure about state of the injectors, have them tested at a Bosch certified shop.

Thompson Diesel in Tulsa is a great vendor for this purpose - and their prices are the lowest anywhere if you need replacement.
Do you have pics. I really want to see how it looks like.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #11
janboshoff
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:

Do you have pics. I really want to see how it looks like.
Here you go
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 04:04 PM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Here you go
Nice thanks man. Really cool to see!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 07:14 AM   #13
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Great pic!

how far did you go when you cleaned them? all or just some parts?

I was told not to touch the amplifier which it the funny look cartridge, it's filled with diesel and pressed together.

Live in the UK, so would have to find somewhere local.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 09:08 AM   #14
janboshoff
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txs330D View Post
Great pic!

how far did you go when you cleaned them? all or just some parts?

I was told not to touch the amplifier which it the funny look cartridge, it's filled with diesel and pressed together.

Live in the UK, so would have to find somewhere local.
Ouch yeah well I threw all the parts into an ultrasonic bath.

Wish I could say it worked, but the main problem was I could not reseal the thread on the body (not shown on the picture). There is a factory applied rubber seal sitting in a groove halfway through the thread, which gets destroyed when you open the injector. It looks like a Viton or sticky teflon of some kind.

I could not find a thread sealant that provided a good seal after putting it all back together. The all failed the initial pressure test.

That's why I think you should not even try to open them.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #15
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh, who told you that though?

I wasn’t told anything like that from people who refurbish them? Just that they need 55nm torque on the retaining nut.

Watch the video on my first post and you’ll see he doesn’t use anything, but he does have to recharge the amplifier cartridge.

Thanks
Appreciate 0