E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > ~DIY: $130 Rear View Camera with OEM integration (vendors will hate me)~

01-24-2015, 05:18 PM   #133
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

oh, I have another update to my issues, I have double check the cables and despite the fact that I have drawn that wiring diagram I noticed that I made a small error connecting my cables. Double checked everything (according to the diagram), fixed the wrong connection, used volt meter (ohms) to make sure I have good connections, twisted the brown and green cable from the emulator and also twisted back the cables from the CIC (pin 9 and 11). Turn on the vehicle, put the car in reverse and boom, PDC display is back, camera is on and all looks just great. Oh and coding was done as per OP and not as per emulator seller.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #134
princelybug
Second Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '11 LBM E90 335i M-Sport

Congrats!

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 05:37 PM   #135
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelybug View Post
Congrats!
Thanks made me happy, been working on it for some time and with couple of issues and limited access to people who can code the car finally
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 06:26 PM   #136
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320D M Sport

Smile

Good work, well done getting that sorted! I'm definitely gonna do this mod as soon as payday gets here!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 02:13 AM   #137
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoff123 View Post
Good work, well done getting that sorted! I'm definitely gonna do this mod as soon as payday gets here!
worth what it cost, took me some time as my car is daily driver so every time I could not finish I put everything back together, but it works, one thing is to make sure you get the wide angle camera, the one I got from following the link of the OP is flat one, I don't see the far sides of my car
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 04:06 AM   #138
bluposeidon
Rep
Drives: F31 lci 320d

I managed to activate the parkmenu using dummy and not coding tool, now I have two problems: the rear camera works but I have 10 errors in canbus and the camera is always activ , if I connect the reverse need a filter otherwise the signal is disturbed when the car is in motion
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #139
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Great thread OP. I just sent a PM regarding install and coding.
      01-25-2015, 11:38 PM   #140
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grzes View Post
oh, I have another update to my issues, I have double check the cables and despite the fact that I have drawn that wiring diagram I noticed that I made a small error connecting my cables. Double checked everything (according to the diagram), fixed the wrong connection, used volt meter (ohms) to make sure I have good connections, twisted the brown and green cable from the emulator and also twisted back the cables from the CIC (pin 9 and 11). Turn on the vehicle, put the car in reverse and boom, PDC display is back, camera is on and all looks just great. Oh and coding was done as per OP and not as per emulator seller.
Well done bro, you finally got it to work. Me on the other hand, still not working.

I will need to find sometime to actually pull everything apart and check again.

Maybe I can use your help. If you use Whatsapp or viber etc I could potentially message you, would be a lot quicker. If you have the time that is. Will obviously work around your time zone
      01-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #141
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluposeidon View Post
I managed to activate the parkmenu using dummy and not coding tool, now I have two problems: the rear camera works but I have 10 errors in canbus and the camera is always activ , if I connect the reverse need a filter otherwise the signal is disturbed when the car is in motion
I have the same problem with canbus, initially I was under the impression that I might have disconnected the units and cables when car was not sleeping but now after clearing the codes couple of times and not playing with wires anymore they still do come back. I am wondering if it is due to the emulator or the cable splicing? I do not have the problem with picture, it seams to work just fine switching between reverse and forward drive and screen looks all good.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 12:36 PM   #142
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Does this work with F series cars?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 02:25 PM   #143
d33p
Rep
Drives: E82 118D

Will this work and fit on a E82 1-series with Navi Business (CIC) and front/rear PDC?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 08:54 AM   #144
Ozam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 (e90)

Don't take this route!!

For everyone reading this post, I cannot recommend this rear camera install.

As much as like to save money it simply is not worth the hassle. Despite even paying a professional installer do the work (he has done over 50 rear camera installs) and a highly skilled coder they could not make it work. Even Grzes, with whom I have been in extensive contact and who ultimately got an image, would probably agree the install is fraught with pitfalls. I have spent hours scouring the internet looking for lots of positives on this DIY and they simply do not exist.

If you really want a rear camera (and not a time-consuming headache) go with the engineered solutions offered by Bimmertech, Alekshop, etc. I sure as heck wish I did!

The Chinese ebay seller: autofocustech is incapable of providing any useful support.

Last edited by Ozam; 02-01-2015 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 09:13 AM   #145
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah it sounds like the expensive options are sadly the only hassle free way of getting this to work. I wonder whats different between the Chinese emulator and the ones in the more expensive kits (other than the fact they actually work). Don't know if anyone here had bought a decent kit and could maybe provide pictures of the wiring diagram for their kit etc? Although it's probably all the same connections and just the programing that's different.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 09:15 AM   #146
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I wonder if the expensive kits introduce the same can errors after the install? Probably not.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #147
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozam View Post

As much as like to save money it simply is not worth the hassle. Despite even paying a professional installer do the work (he has done over 50 rear camera installs) and a highly skilled coder they could not make it work. Even Grzes, with whom I have been in extensive contact and who ultimately got an image, would probably agree the install is fraught with pitfalls. I have spent hours scouring the internet looking for lots of positives on this DIY and they simply do not exist.

If you really want a rear camera (and not a time-consuming headache) go with the engineered solutions offered by Bimmertech, Alekshop, etc. I sure as heck wish I did!

Whatever you do, do not buy from Chinese ebay seller: autofocustech. They are utterly useless and either incapable or unwilling to provide any useful support.

I don't understand what issues people are having??
      01-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #148
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoff123 View Post
I wonder if the expensive kits introduce the same can errors after the install? Probably not.
More than likely the expensive kits use the same hardware.
      01-30-2015, 10:47 AM   #149
Ozam
Enlisted Member
Rep

agreed

the guts of the emulators probably are the same. However, what you are paying extra for is a 100% tested plug and play solution (and a little bit higher quality hardware).

Most of us would not be on this forum if we were not willing to work through issues on our own but in this case it is very difficult to troubleshoot the install and eliminate problems.

Again, at the end of the day there are simply not enough "satisfied customers" to recommend taking the "cheap" route. I'm not saying it does not work, only that you have been warned!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 11:22 AM   #150
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

For those aspiring to this mod, I thought I'd share my experience. My current car a merc, is my first car with a rear view camera on an 8" screen including active guide lines (and parking sensors front and rear). What I can safely say is the rear camera is a compete and utter waste of space.

I would be so much happier to swap this for the (best in class) full size image of the car and its coloured radar sensors that you get across the full screen on a BMW. On a B|M its well located, in one place and big enough to see both the front and the rear of the car with its excellent graphics of where things are.

Knowing what I know now I'd be very happy to not have a rear camera again.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #151
Ozam
Enlisted Member
Rep

need an emulator

Does anyone have an e9X emulator they did not use and want to sell? I am going to have to double check my install (again) and would like the ability to simply switch out the emulator if all else fails. After which I give up!!

If so, please PM me. Thanks greatly!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 11:26 PM   #152
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary Rasp View Post
I don't understand what issues people are having??
Please don't take it the wrong way, I made it to work, but here is some questions and observations I have:

for once you have never mention the canbus errors that are constantly coming up, second my directional lines are on and off, seams like they are having a good day and bad day which as nice as I would love to have them they are not crucial. The canbus errors indicate that this system is not working as everyone would expect, I am not sure how or why they were never mentioned here, unless for some magic thing you do not have any errors. Last thing I want is coming to the dealer for some service or when something is off with the car and they scan it and then say "well, here you go, you played with our system and it is your fault now".
I can't say it is not working, the camera is working, I don't understand why other have problem as well, after all if they do follow my diagram (colour connection not working, in my case every colour on the emulator did not match colours on the vehicle harness). Is it how those cables are twisted?? well maybe but again, bus errors is not something I want to see after doing DIY like this, might as well have no camera but have error free car. I honestly wish the errors were mentioned cause I would not touch this if I knew.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 11:29 PM   #153
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post
For those aspiring to this mod, I thought I'd share my experience. My current car a merc, is my first car with a rear view camera on an 8" screen including active guide lines (and parking sensors front and rear). What I can safely say is the rear camera is a compete and utter waste of space.

I would be so much happier to swap this for the (best in class) full size image of the car and its coloured radar sensors that you get across the full screen on a BMW. On a B|M its well located, in one place and big enough to see both the front and the rear of the car with its excellent graphics of where things are.

Knowing what I know now I'd be very happy to not have a rear camera again.
Agreed. I had back up camera on my Acura MDX, but that camera location was suited so well that it took some really long time to get dirty to the point it was useless. First day I had my BMW working with this DIY, one trip, guess what, 10 minutes of driving and in my garage trying to back up, hmm, crap, I can't see anything, the camera is dirty, all I have is the sensors which they work very well
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 11:36 PM   #154
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozam View Post

Whatever you do, do not buy from Chinese ebay seller: autofocustech. They are utterly useless and either incapable or unwilling to provide any useful support.
The seller Ozam is talking about is really bad when it comes to help, I was with some communication with him, diagrams that he send made no sense, coding totally different from OP (big credits to you man as I know the coding you did on here works), and when it came to exchange (i did not even ask for the money back) he insisted that his emulators are perfect and he has no intention of exchanging, he has been selling them for 3 years with no problems (keep in mind all I asked is for the exchange). I tell you this much, the help I have received, the diagrams he send were no help and all they would do is just confuse the crap out of anyone. I think OP did a great job, I know it works as I have proved it (i could not follow the colour coding of the cables as they were different on the emulator and bmw harness) but if you guys follow the diagram I posted here, use multimeter to confirm you have solid connection between one harness and the other it will eventually work, take your time and don't rush). One problem is the errors that are still coming back regarding canbus and after multiple clearing they still come back, well unless I do disconnect the emulator then I am back to error free

Last edited by grzes; 01-30-2015 at 11:53 PM..
Appreciate 0