E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > PROGMAN v28 is acomin' soon

02-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #67
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobradac View Post
You can get an update free when you have a listed problem. BUT, many of these updates are not about the car. They are fixing other issues such as how it interfaces with the diagnostic system software, or even how it processes the update itself as they have many workarounds due to buggy housekeeping tasks. So for you to demand something for nothing that has no impact on your car or its operation while you are driving it is certainly not something BMW is willing to do and hav so stated in very clear terms to thier dealers. The dealer will not be reimbursed for their labor should they just willy-nilly cave to folks like you.
BMW NA should cover such updates, but what can we do?

I did see an internal memo a member posted a few months ago from BMWNA telling dealers to update the software more often. BMWNA sited USA as the worst offender in terms of having up to date software and that many of the diagnosis for real problems could be mitigated if they dealers were more proactive about updating the software. So maybe it is a change for the better.
      02-22-2008, 11:02 AM   #68
BarryK
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobradac View Post
You can get an update free when you have a listed problem. BUT, many of these updates are not about the car. They are fixing other issues such as how it interfaces with the diagnostic system software, or even how it processes the update itself as they have many workarounds due to buggy housekeeping tasks. So for you to demand something for nothing that has no impact on your car or its operation while you are driving it is certainly not something BMW is willing to do and hav so stated in very clear terms to thier dealers. The dealer will not be reimbursed for their labor should they just willy-nilly cave to folks like you.
Sorry, but again, I have to disagree. You said: "They are fixing other issues such as how it interfaces with the diagnostic system software, or even how it processes the update itself as they have many workarounds due to buggy housekeeping tasks." Why is it not in the customer's best interest to provide this? Wouldn't BMW want to ensure that the diagnostic, update, repair process is as efficient & accurate as possible? This is all about customer service...

I hate to keep comparing this to the computer industry (although cars are quickly becoming part of the computer industry!), but many of the updates we provide in my business are EXACTLY for the reasons you describe above - to fix "buggy housekeeping tasks" and ensure we can provide our customers the absolute best service and experience with our products. Most users will see no difference with the updated software - it's all "under the hood".

I don't want to belabor this, but my car cost me almost $52,000. I want - and am entitled - to know that it is equipped with the latest versions of whatever software BMW provides. I don't expect to get new/additional features or functionality for free - but I do expect enhancements & fixes for existing features to be provided at no charge - especially during the warranty period...

With that said, keep in mind that I'm only reacting to what's been posted here, not my own experience. I haven't asked for the update yet - I plan to request it when I take my car in for an oil change in the next month or so. And I'm not asking for it simply to have the latest version - I am experiencing many of the issues that have been documented here & that the new software reportedly fixes. Hopefully, they'll perform the update under warranty & all will be well - that would be the right thing to do...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #69
cobradac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK View Post
Sorry, but again, I have to disagree. You said: "They are fixing other issues such as how it interfaces with the diagnostic system software, or even how it processes the update itself as they have many workarounds due to buggy housekeeping tasks." Why is it not in the customer's best interest to provide this? Wouldn't BMW want to ensure that the diagnostic, update, repair process is as efficient & accurate as possible? This is all about customer service...

I hate to keep comparing this to the computer industry (although cars are quickly becoming part of the computer industry!), but many of the updates we provide in my business are EXACTLY for the reasons you describe above - to fix "buggy housekeeping tasks" and ensure we can provide our customers the absolute best service and experience with our products. Most users will see no difference with the updated software - it's all "under the hood".

I don't want to belabor this, but my car cost me almost $52,000. I want - and am entitled - to know that it is equipped with the latest versions of whatever software BMW provides. I don't expect to get new/additional features or functionality for free - but I do expect enhancements & fixes for existing features to be provided at no charge - especially during the warranty period...

With that said, keep in mind that I'm only reacting to what's been posted here, not my own experience. I haven't asked for the update yet - I plan to request it when I take my car in for an oil change in the next month or so. And I'm not asking for it simply to have the latest version - I am experiencing many of the issues that have been documented here & that the new software reportedly fixes. Hopefully, they'll perform the update under warranty & all will be well - that would be the right thing to do...
Your first point, yes they would if they had to run diagnostics on a reported issue and that car needed an update to be sure the diagnostic would be accurate then thye would do it gratis.

Second, point. Not all vehicles have all reported problems. Sometimes an update INTRODUCES problems to a car that had no problems before. You must also realize BWM does not appear to have a robust test and evaluation system as too many bugs are introduced. I know I do not update JUST to update (just like I do not do all MS OS or APPL updates). I only update to fix known problems when I know a specific release has that fix nailed.

Third point - just my point - when you have an issue BMW is willing to step up, but not when you just drive in a say - no problems just give me the latest. They treat the $120k car the same way they treat the $30k car.

And all this fuss and you have not even had the experience Hope it goes well. I do not think you will run into a problem as long as you have issues to fix.
      03-01-2008, 02:31 AM   #70
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
Anything out on the progman 28.02?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #71
MB330
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltecBX View Post
Anything out on the progman 28.02?
some one just reported upgrade to v29.00.01
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122492
      03-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #72
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
BMW NA should cover such updates, but what can we do?

I did see an internal memo a member posted a few months ago from BMWNA telling dealers to update the software more often. BMWNA sited USA as the worst offender in terms of having up to date software and that many of the diagnosis for real problems could be mitigated if they dealers were more proactive about updating the software. So maybe it is a change for the better.
I've read that memo, it isn't related to keeping our cars up to date though; it's about keeping their diagnostic systems up to the latest version and to only load the most current progman revision should it be determined that a car needs to be updated.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #73
BMWoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 03 Z MT, 06 330i

I'm not entirely sure what I'd need to tell them in order to get them to update my car, but I tried to communicate the numerous problems I'm having with bluetooth, and the fact that I feel like the nav was kind of... "unusable". We'll see if they do the update.
      03-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #74
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWoo View Post
I'm not entirely sure what I'd need to tell them in order to get them to update my car, but I tried to communicate the numerous problems I'm having with bluetooth, and the fact that I feel like the nav was kind of... "unusable". We'll see if they do the update.
Is your existing version pre 25? If so, just use the navigation pop-up arrow missing complaint, it works every time. Do a search for SI B84 61 06 and you'll learn more about it, but essentially it affects every version from 19-24 (inclusive) so that's alot of cars.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #75
BMWoo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Is your existing version pre 25? If so, just use the navigation pop-up arrow missing complaint, it works every time. Do a search for SI B84 61 06 and you'll learn more about it, but essentially it affects every version from 19-24 (inclusive) so that's alot of cars.
Hey, thank you for the response - I did a search, I'm not really sure. My car was an August 06 build 330i, and I don't think I've seen an update yet, so I'm guessing I'm pre 25 based on what I've read out there. Unfortunately, it's already at the dealer. We'll see what happens, I didn't get a great vibe from the guy.

If not, I guess I'll take it to the other dealership and give them that bug. Thanks again for your help.
      03-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #76
BMWoo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hey, thanks again for the advice. Since my dealer just called and told me they're not going to do anything for my car, I did a search but I'm a little muddy on what exactly I need to say... can you help me out a bit, is it something to do with having a call on and having the arrow gone or something?
      03-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #77
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hey, thank you for the response - I did a search, I'm not really sure. My car was an August 06 build 330i, and I don't think I've seen an update yet, so I'm guessing I'm pre 25 based on what I've read out there. Unfortunately, it's already at the dealer. We'll see what happens, I didn't get a great vibe from the guy.

If not, I guess I'll take it to the other dealership and give them that bug. Thanks again for your help.
If you have the brown main menu and audio menus, then your system is pre-25. My car was built 2/06 and came with v.20 or 21. v25 came out in March, '07.

Quote:
Hey, thanks again for the advice. Since my dealer just called and told me they're not going to do anything for my car, I did a search but I'm a little muddy on what exactly I need to say... can you help me out a bit, is it something to do with having a call on and having the arrow gone or something?
Alright, effectively this is the problem: Lets say you program a destination, and have your audio menu on the left part of the screen (it can be anything though, just not the map), and the overhead map on the smaller right portion. As you approach a turn, the map portion on the right is supposed to switch to the arrow display temporarily until you've made the turn, but in v.19-24 this is bugged and the screen will not change. Now if you change the display on the right to anything else; trip computer, onboard info, it WILL change to the arrow display.

I can't find the bulletin for the pop-up as such, but here's a link to to the TSB regarding progman v.25, it states that this arrow problem has been fixed. Since BMW is only supposed to load the latest version available, they will then have to put 28 or 29 (if it really exists) in your car.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...27&postcount=1 (Print the pdf and highlight point #9 regarding the arrow)

Just remember to write down your equalizer and other audio settings on a piece of paper as that will all get wiped, the only thing retained will be your seat and mirror memory as those are stored on the key fob.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #78
jam0321
I do screenprinting and embroiderry
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

dropped my car off today to have the latest progman installed. How long can i expect the car to be in the shop?

www.specopsoutfitters.com
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #79
BMWoo
Private First Class
Rep

Hey GregL - thank you very much, your help is greatly appreciated. I went to the dealership this morning with printout in hand, three items highlighted which I've experienced on a normal basis. We went out to the car and verified it, and voila, they're upgrading my software.

Thanks again man!
      03-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #80
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hey GregL - thank you very much, your help is greatly appreciated. I went to the dealership this morning with printout in hand, three items highlighted which I've experienced on a normal basis. We went out to the car and verified it, and voila, they're upgrading my software.

Thanks again man!
Fantastic, enjoy it! The new system is much better than what was originally loaded into our cars.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #81
laurenty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Garage List
2008 328is  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks again man!
So what version did they update you to?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #82
BMWoo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenty View Post
So what version did they update you to?
Not sure yet - haven't gotten the car back - he said it'll be the latest one, obviously described it as having a silver look instead of the old brown one. I'll ask him when I pick the car up, today or tomorrow.

Funny thing. I had this massive crack in my windshield that spanned from about 2 inches inside of the drivers side to about 1 inch inside of the passenger side... it was almost the full length of the windshield, and just under eye level. Horrible crack.

In any case, I went to them this morning to help replicate the issues I was having, and halfway through our little demo drive, I slam the brakes in shock - the crack is totally gone. I'm a bit hung over, so the first thing I ask in stupidity is, "are you sure this is my car?"

Someone put a new windshield in. Awesome. I'm sure I'll get the bill for it, but it was funny at the time.
      03-07-2008, 04:04 PM   #83
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Quote:
In any case, I went to them this morning to help replicate the issues I was having, and halfway through our little demo drive, I slam the brakes in shock - the crack is totally gone. I'm a bit hung over, so the first thing I ask in stupidity is, "are you sure this is my car?"

Someone put a new windshield in. Awesome. I'm sure I'll get the bill for it, but it was funny at the time.
      03-07-2008, 10:25 PM   #84
BMW335i-FX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Black/Black

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
But if my car have v25 - What kind off explanation about any problems I should say to dealer to get update -v28 or 29?

Thank you!
      03-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #85
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335i-FX View Post
But if my car have v25 - What kind off explanation about any problems I should say to dealer to get update -v28 or 29?

Thank you!
PM'd
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #86
nagge
Swedish user
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330dA

Quote:
PM'd
I'd like one of those as well
      03-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #87
335er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagge View Post
Make that three...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #88
BMW335i-FX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Black/Black

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagge View Post
Unfortunately there's very little to prompt BMW to update the car if you already have v25. The best I can suggest would be for you to take a look at the pdf on the bottom of the first post http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85932 and see if any of the fixes between 25-27 apply to you. v28 strictly contained fixes for their diagnostic computers so nothing new between 27 and 28 for our cars.As for v29, none of the resident techs on the board have posted any official info about it, so we really don't know what went into that one.