E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Gas nozzle keeps prematurely shutting off

02-25-2019, 11:38 AM   #67
Street of Rage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown07 View Post
You shouldn't need to replace the canister the pellets/spring loaded plate just seems to get "frozen". I have fixed this problem on both my cars by removing the canister and banging the bottom against a semi hard surface until the pellets and spring loaded plate inside free up. I could fill for about 1 second before shutting off and now I can do a full tank on full throttle.
I did the whole banging thing but never helped.

Maybe I didn't bang it hard enough?
      02-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #68
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street of Rage View Post

When your nozzle is prematurely finishing dispensing its load, banging harder can sometimes cure the problem. Don't bang it too hard or you might spill your pellets.

Last edited by Welcome to NBA Jam; 02-25-2019 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 6
      02-25-2019, 02:23 PM   #69
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: CL55 AMG

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Same problem here sometimes it does not happens and fills up but other times it will stop every two seconds so annoying 2011 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #70
blown07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

The 2 canisters I did went from feeling like a solid mass inside to a giant maraca after smacking it around.

335xi FBO,Meth,JB4,Sutphin flash,VTT stage1 11.38 1/4 - 7.30 1/8th - 3.35 0 to 60 @ 0C
Appreciate 3
      02-25-2019, 05:42 PM   #71
phillycx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i sedan

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
This just started happening to me within the last couple months and I go to the same two Shell stations all the time. It tends to happen when I am using the pump in auto mode wide open. I noticed that if I use the middle setting it does not happen. I didn't realize it could be related to the charcoal filter. I drive a 328i so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 08:42 PM   #72
blown07
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillycx View Post
This just started happening to me within the last couple months and I go to the same two Shell stations all the time. It tends to happen when I am using the pump in auto mode wide open. I noticed that if I use the middle setting it does not happen. I didn't realize it could be related to the charcoal filter. I drive a 328i so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
I would think it would be the same on a 328. When you are filling gas the displaced air/vapor in the tank has to vent through the charcoal canister (to reduce emissions). If it's blocked then that's why you need to fill very slowly or stop to let the air/vapor in the tank escape through the filler tube.

335xi FBO,Meth,JB4,Sutphin flash,VTT stage1 11.38 1/4 - 7.30 1/8th - 3.35 0 to 60 @ 0C
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 08:58 PM   #73
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i 6spd

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
so i still have the same issue and its pissing me off. i already replaced the fuel tank vent valve. thing this is the old one was still good, my dumb ass didnt test it. if you want to know if you need to replace it all you have to do it take it off and blow through it. if it holds pressure its still good. so mine was still good and i replaced it for no reason. tomorrow im just going to disconnect the vent hose from the canister and put fuel. if that solves the issue then i know its the canister. but i dont want to buy a canister if thats the issue. hmmmmm...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:33 PM   #74
fleet
Private
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Glad this thread cycled to the top, I've had my e91 on the road for two months now and have run into this every time I've filled up. BRB, gonna bang on my cannister...
      02-26-2019, 07:11 AM   #75
phillycx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i sedan

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillycx View Post
I would think it would be the same on a 328. When you are filling gas the displaced air/vapor in the tank has to vent through the charcoal canister (to reduce emissions). If it's blocked then that's why you need to fill very slowly or stop to let the air/vapor in the tank escape through the filler tube.
Thank you for the information. I will look into it.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 08:21 AM   #76
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinWake View Post
Same problem here sometimes it does not happens and fills up but other times it will stop every two seconds so annoying 2011 335i
I get that very rarely at a random pump but I can go to a different pump and it works fine OR I can also pull the pump out slightly (like a half inch) and it will pump just fine.

I think our cars are just prone to pissing off sensitive pumps.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 08:26 AM   #77
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
I get that very rarely at a random pump but I can go to a different pump and it works fine OR I can also pull the pump out slightly (like a half inch) and it will pump just fine.

I think our cars are just prone to pissing off sensitive pumps.
Yeah. Originally I was fueling at Petro Can and if I didn't hold the nozzle 90 it would click of 2 to 3 times per full fillups.

Now I gas at Shell and haven't had any issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:20 PM   #78
aamodtpw
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335i xDrive 6MT

Very timely resurrection of this old thread as far as I am concerned: I am taking my 2013 E92 to the dealer next week for this and a couple of other bugs and/or features before my extended warranty expires. I will just print out this thread and hand it to my tech.

Whereas it sounds as if some posters will experience shut-off right away, I will get about six gallons in the tank first, and then it will shut off. Each time I resume pumping, it will shut off again pretty quickly, probably by the time another half-gallon is pumped. I have to move to another pump if I really need a complete fill-up.

Like others posters, it happens about every third or fourth time, hard to pin down after that. The last time it happened, I turned the gas nozzle maybe 120 degrees to the right, and that let me finish filling up.

I will come back and report what I find out.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 09:16 AM   #79
steel609
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
I have the same occurence, but only at Costco. It will always prematurely topoff, but if I go to Chevron or 76 or Shell, it will fill up normally.
Costco works perfectly for me, Samsclub kicks it off just about every time.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 09:56 AM   #80
steel609
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Coupe

Quote:
You shouldn't need to replace the canister the pellets/spring loaded plate just seems to get "frozen". I have fixed this problem on both my cars by removing the canister and banging the bottom against a semi hard surface until the pellets and spring loaded plate inside free up. I could fill for about 1 second before shutting off and now I can do a full tank on full throttle.
Do you have a link to instructions on how to do this?TIA!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:26 AM   #81
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
On my E91 it was the tank vent valve was stuck closed. I don't think that blowing through it is an effective test, since the whole point is you *want* it to let air through when refueling.
The ISTA test involves actuating the valve open/closed multiple times quickly and listening for the tapping
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #82
Street of Rage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel609 View Post
Do you have a link to instructions on how to do this?TIA!
I guess what he meant is to stomp the canister on the ground gradually by increasing force until you feel/hear the inside is turning into maraca I suppose, to loosen up.
      02-27-2019, 01:05 PM   #83
blown07
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I guess what he meant is to stomp the canister on the ground gradually by increasing force until you feel/hear the inside is turning into maraca I suppose, to loosen up.
Hit the bottom of the canister against some 2x4's. The bottom of the canister is very strong. You can feels the pellets start to loosen up then just start shaking it to finish the job. I tested it by putting a short hose on I believe the large port and blowing through it. At first you won't be able to blow any air and then it's easy once everything is loose inside.

Appreciate 2
      02-27-2019, 03:29 PM   #84
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
it worked!!

thanks to this thread i did exactly what you guys suggested and it worked!! i just went to put fuel on full blast and no more clicking!!!

so i removed my charcoal canister and lightly banged it on the concrete for about 10 mins. i was careful not to bang on it to hard because i didnt want to break the plastic. at first i didnt hear anything but after about 5 mins of light banging then something started loosening up in there, 10 minz in i called it done, it sounded like a salt shaker.

i also opened my gas cap and blew compressed air through the 3 lines. the white line i guess is the line for the fuel tank vent valve. it wasnt taking any air.

i also had this small evap leak that i was trying to chase down ever since i bought the car. so i decided to smoke test the evap system with my home made smoke machine . i couldnt find any leak anywhere. so i decided to smoke test the charcoal canister and found a very small leak coming from dmtl valve thing or whatever that is. go figure. even though the pump is still working i still gave to replace it anyway

thanks guys i can pump gas in peace now
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      02-27-2019, 06:37 PM   #85
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

I also finally decided to do something about this - I've had the gas nozzle problem since I got the car but I've never cared enough to do anything about it. My canister was also stuck but after a few quick smacks on a plastic shelf it started to loosen up.

I did have some trouble getting things assembled again - here's some advice for anyone else who attempts this. My canister is slightly different because I have an N51. Mine has two quick-release connectors with the green release tab connected directly to the canister, and the third line on the side is a normal squeeze disconnect. The small quick-connect line clicked right back into place, but the bigger connector didn't seem to fully engage. It felt like it was on all the way, but I found that I was able to force it off again without pressing on the green release button.

Turns out part of the inside of the connector where the o-rings sit had come loose when I was disconnecting it. The connector was stuck on there pretty good, and the spacers inside had stuck to the canister and moved when trying to remove the connector.

The inside of the connector has an inner dark blue/green o-ring, a white spacer, an outer light blue o-ring, and a black spacer, in that order. The black spacer had shifted outwards a little bit and there was a gap between it and the blue o-ring. I tried lubricating the o-rings with a little bit of engine oil, and it connected a lot easier but still wasn't fully engaging. Eventually the o-ring and the spacers fully fell out of the connector and I was able to re-assemble it properly. The outer black spacer is "pressed" into the connector, and won't just slide into place. I put the o-rings and spacers into the connector in the right order and used a rubber mallet and a small socket to gently press the black spacer back into place. I could feel the black piece pop into place, and it went back together normally after that.

So for anyone else with a SULEV, make sure that your connectors are fully engaged back onto the canister. It was easy to see that the green tabs on the connector weren't fully engaged on the canister, but without checking you might press the connector into place and not notice that it isn't on all the way
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 05:53 AM   #86
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gT-BMW View Post
thanks to this thread i did exactly what you guys suggested and it worked!! i just went to put fuel on full blast and no more clicking!!!

so i removed my charcoal canister and lightly banged it on the concrete for about 10 mins. i was careful not to bang on it to hard because i didnt want to break the plastic. at first i didnt hear anything but after about 5 mins of light banging then something started loosening up in there, 10 minz in i called it done, it sounded like a salt shaker.

i also opened my gas cap and blew compressed air through the 3 lines. the white line i guess is the line for the fuel tank vent valve. it wasnt taking any air.

i also had this small evap leak that i was trying to chase down ever since i bought the car. so i decided to smoke test the evap system with my home made smoke machine . i couldnt find any leak anywhere. so i decided to smoke test the charcoal canister and found a very small leak coming from dmtl valve thing or whatever that is. go figure. even though the pump is still working i still gave to replace it anyway

thanks guys i can pump gas in peace now
I gotta ask... What is the green ammo can for? It's modded with air fittings...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 10:57 AM   #87
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I gotta ask... What is the green ammo can for? It's modded with air fittings...
thats my homemade 12v smoke machine sir
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:29 PM   #88
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamodtpw View Post
Very timely resurrection of this old thread as far as I am concerned:

Whereas it sounds as if some posters will experience shut-off right away, I will get about six gallons in the tank first, and then it will shut off. Each time I resume pumping, it will shut off again pretty quickly, probably by the time another half-gallon is pumped. I have to move to another pump if I really need a complete fill-up.

Like others posters, it happens about every third or fourth time, hard to pin down after that.

Same issue here. It's very intermittent and only happens on some pumps, but when it does happen it's usually fine until the tank is about half full and then it starts shutting off repeatedly.

I'm teaching my kid how to drive with this car, and if the fuel shutoff doesn't work he's not going to know how gas pumps are supposed to work. Either he's going to underfill the tank or he's going to try and fill it and see what a good old fashioned cold-leg gasoline spill looks like.

I wasn't aware of the charcoal canister pellets so I'm going to take mine out and try to loosen them up.

Another related issue is that I smell gasoline vapor from the rear passenger side wheel well after filling my tank. If I only fill 3/4 there's no smell, but when I fill it up until the pump shuts off as it's supposed to, I can smell fuel for a while. I don't see any liquid fuel on the ground or anywhere along the fill tube to the tank. Should I be checking the vent lines? Anything specific I should look for? I don't have any EVAP faults/codes. I was told to check the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump as they're prone to breaking, but the symptoms of that are fuel smell inside the cabin or from the drivers side. I had the rear seat off and the fuel pump/tank covers removed on both sides and there are no cracks and no fuel leaks.
Appreciate 0