E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Car won't start after battery registration

11-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
ScarboroughBMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi

Car won't start after battery registration

Have a 2008 E92 335xi, with 160,334km.

Car won't start, no crank, after running the battery registration program, using Tool32. No errors in executing the program. Thought it was the battery, so tried to boost the car, nothing happened, recharged the battery to full, same issue, no crank.

In a panic, tried to reset the ECU using NCSExpert, via Expert Mode, it starts to code, after the 2nd or 3rd module, I get the following errors.

Translating to english, the error reads: IFH-0009:SG is not connected or is not reporting ULF2_HI

All modules check OKAY in INPA.

Pulled the following error codes.

=== 03.11.2017 === 15:12:24
DME partnumber: VAR_ECU_SERIAL_ECU

current kilometer reading: 160334 km
__________________________________________________ _________

comment line 1: error codes
comment line 2:

(English translations)

$error locationNr: 10932
$error location text: 0x2AB4 DME, Internal Error: RAM Checksum
Error: 1(5) No.: 10932 0x2AB4 DME, Internal Error: RAM Checksum
Error type: 1 (4190 ) RAM review
read: Ines Flag (16 ) test conditions have been met
error status: (32) error is not currently available, not OBD debounced
MIL - Status: (49) error would cause the illumination of the warning light (MIL)
class : 56; frequency: 1; entry at km: (1.): 159784 km (2.): 0 km (n.): 0 km

$error locationNr: 12105
$error location text: 0x2F49 EWS manipulation protection
error: 2(5) No.: 12105 0x2F49 EWS manipulation protection
error type: 8 (4339 ) expected response implausible
read ines flag: (16 ) test conditions have been met
MIL - Status: (48) Error did not cause illumination of the warning light (MIL)
class : 11; frequency: 1; entry at km: (1.): 159816 km (2.): 0 km (n.): 0 km

$error locationNr: 12234
$error location text: 0x2FCA fuel high pressure upon release of the injection
error: 3(5) No.: 12234 0x2FCA fuel high pressure upon release of the injection
error type: 1 (4763 ) pressure too low
class: 01; frequency: 10; entry at km: (1.): 159816 km (2.): 159816 km (n.): 160304 km

$error locationNr: 12250
$error location text: 0x2FDA high fuel pressure at or after the release of the injection (2. Environmental condition after time delay)
Error: 4(5) No.: 12250 0x2FDA high fuel pressure at or after the release of the injection (2. Environmental condition after time delay)
: error status (32) error is not currently available, not OBD debounced
class: 01; frequency: 10; entry at km: (1.): 159816 km (2.): 159816 km (n.): 160304 km

$error locationNr: 12251
$error location text: 0x2FDB fuel high pressure after the release of the injection
error: 5(5) No.: 12251 0x2FDB fuel high pressure after the release of the injection
: error status (32) error is not currently available, not OBD debounced
class: 01; frequency: 6; entry at km: (1.): 159912 km (2.): 159968 km (n.): 160296 km

Another view of the first error code:

$error locationNr: 10932
$error location text: 0x2AB4 DME, Internal Error: RAM Checksum
5705 2AB4 8104 16A3 0102 4E0 5000 00000 500000 000000 000000 000000
error: 1(2) No.: 10932 0x2AB4 DME, Internal Error: RAM Checksum
Error type: Frequency: 1 1 (4190 ) RAM review
read: Ines Flag (16 ) test conditions have been met
MIL - Status: (49) error would cause the illumination of the warning light (MIL)
P-Code: P16A3 Controller - internal 'Non-Volatile Memory' (NVMY) error F_LZ: 2
ambient text / entry at 159784 km(1.)
Engine rpm speed 0.00
temperature control inside the unit -48.00 °C
status Engine Control Eng_LOCK
supply terminal 87 0.00 V

How do I resolve the IFH-0009:SG to do a full reset? somehow I feel this will not solve the starting issue.

Could the EWS protection error code be causing the start problem? CAS and EWS out of sync? INPA does not allow me to sync EWS4. Also, this code was triggered at 159,816km, i've driven around since then, up to 160,334, battery registration.

Or could the DME, Internal Error: RAM Checksum error, be the cause? the status Engine Control Eng_LOCK? did this "lock" the engine? but this code was also triggered couple hundred kilometers back.

Would really appreciate input to get my car running, if there are any other details needed please let me know.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Manual, CBR650F

I suspect this started from out of date DATENS. Did you do any coding, or just the tool32 battery registration? It sounds like a CAS-DME thing. I've had all kinds of problems with virtual machines, so if you have a Windows computer, you should run native. Here's some new software: https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads
BTW, Rheingold can sync the CAS and DME.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #3
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
As I posted in another forum, it looks like you tripped the EWS manipulation protection. Default coding your modules is a waste of time. Try synchronizing your CAS-EWS with INPA.
      11-04-2017, 02:08 PM   #4
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
EWS manipulation protection :O

oh wow!

tell us EXACTLY what you did, what you run, with what attributes
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 04:45 PM   #5
ScarboroughBMW
Canada
Rep

No idea how the EWS error was triggered.

Things started about a month ago, the Km reading for the EWS code would have been around that time.

Got my car back from bodyshop for minor repairs, noticed my trip computer was reset, didn't think nothing off it. Within the next couple of days the trip computer reset again, then passenger front turn signal blew.

Couple days later car did not start, got a boost, drove about 200km that day, next day car did not start, charged the battery, but died again. Concerned about parasitic draw at this point.

Replaced the battery Oct 13, (was original from 2008), and put in new turn signal light.

I did not register the battery at this point, car started without issue, did not have INPA, but was concerned that battery will not charge properly. I also checked for parasitic draw with a multimeter, car did go to sleep after about 30 mins.

Got INPA cable last week, installed BMW standard tools, tried to follow youtube tutorial for battery registration, was able to register battery via INPA, showed up as 1st battery swap and logged the km reading, think it was 160,220km.

But tutorial said this is not sure fire way to register. NCS Expert gave error with additional steps, so decided to reinstall everything, based on the extensive write up from this forum. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918608

Drove the car for couple of days. Setup INPA again, was able to fully follow the tutorial.

Used NCS Expert to pull a TRC file, to modify the battery Ah rating, saved as MAN file, and executed the write, would not let me put in 100Ah, so tested with 80Ah, verified in INPA that it worked, so revised back to 90Ah.

Next, using Tool32, loaded the MSD80.prg file, selected the job steuern_batterietausch_registri. I double clicked the file by accident, tutorial did not do this, it popped opened the window saying job status OKAY, then executed the start job once only command. INPA now shows 2nd battery swap, at 160,334.

That is everything I did to register the battery. When charging my battery the next day it was severely drained, but even with full charge, car does not start, does not even try to start, no crank.

INPA does not allow me to sync the EWS, say EWS4 LOCKED.

When trying to reset to factory defaults, via NCS Expert in expert mode, I got the error above.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 09:35 PM   #6
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
what u did looks fine.

EWS manipulation protection should not be there and its not clear how did you get it.

but, even if ISN is different on your car, it should be cranking.

if its not cranking you need to figure out whats the reason:
1) starter
2) main ground (from engine to body)
3) CAS module (happens quite often)

I would start with:
1) with jumper cables I would connect engine to body and try (to check main ground)
2) I would apply +12 on starter solenoid and see if it cranks (to check starter health)

based on results it will be easier to trouble shoot
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #7
ScarboroughBMW
Canada
Rep

Good to know my actions didn't mess this up. Thanks Levanime!

For the EWS, I'm now guessing someone at the body shop tried to start the car with the wrong key fob? not sure if this would trigger the code.

I tried ground to engine using jumper cables, still no crank.

I won't be able to get to the starter for the 2nd suggestion, this is beyond me.

Will have it towed to the dealer, i'm guessing its the starter.

I'm pretty sure there is still a battery drain issue, maybe the low voltage state caused additional issues?

I installed ISTA, here are the codes its showing.

Aside from the FRM: ALC system faulty, all of the others were logged at 160,328km, must have happened while I was driving, the current km reading 160,334km. Could the last 2 be causing the no start?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 08:28 PM   #8
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Hey,

of course it will not crank, CAS doesnot see what gear it is (it should see P or N to send crank signal to starter)

To test it, you can code CAS so it cranks anyways.

for EWS (which obviously is not current code, not listed here, but was from history) someone tried either other DME or CAS, would not store in case of wrong key, as I remember)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #9
ScarboroughBMW
Canada
Rep

Car was at the dealership for a couple of days for diagnosis.

From the first day, service manager calls to inform me the car fires right up, no starting issues, but they wanted to keep it for a couple of days to make sure and to also test the starter and try a cold start in the morning.

Again no issue, so go to pick up my car yesterday.

Tried to start, no go, thinking to myself, i'm doing something wrong.

So I pushed in the brake as well as the clutch, and boom fires right up.

I've had the car for over 4 years, never once had to push the brake pedal to start, just the clutch.

This all started after battery registration, with the codes shown in the ISTA screenshot above. Now I get a AWD code, ISTA states "AWD limp-home control activated, no DSC specified nominal torque."

I'm guessing this relates to the CAS: Input selector-lever position, implausible.

My current CC-IDs: 24, 351, and 354.

Current issues: car does not start unless I press the brake pedal, and AWD is not working.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #10
ScarboroughBMW
Canada
Rep

Got it working!

Using ISTA-D, I cleared fault codes, calibrated steering and VTG sensor, still no go.

I reset CAS, KOMBI using ISTA-D, still no go.

Had a 5F44 fault, DSC: Check Clutch Switch, found sensor reading in CAS module within ISTA, and read both states, unpressed and pressed, clutch switch module is operational.

Got a C91E fault, No Message (terminal status, 0x130), receiver JBE, transmitter CAS. Seems DSC is not receiving signal from Junction Box, and Junction Box was not receiving signal from CAS, so issue with CAS.

With further research, I found out that you cannot use the "Process Car" function in NCS Expert to reset the all modules in the car. I should have made this clear in my original post. Apparently, the 2MULF module cannot be coded using the K+Dcan cable. Probably why I did not see this module in ISTA within the control tree.

Using the Bimmergeeks Standard Tools distribution, and Factory Coding profile, I reset just the CAS module from withing NCS Expert.

All is good now, car starts without issue, with just the clutch, no error codes on dash.

So, registering the battery did mess up something in my CAS, trying to reset to factory was the right idea, but I went about it the wrong way.

For anyone with similar issue, car not starting, unless brake and clutch is pressed, try reset of CAS via NCS Expert using the Factory Coding profile, DO NOT USE PROCESS CAR, you will likely get the error in my original post, use Process ECU.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 09:18 PM   #11
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Good news!

So 5F44 and C91E went away after coding CAS?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #12
ScarboroughBMW
Canada
Rep

Ya, all clear! just pulled fault codes again, to see if anything pops up after couple days of driving, nothing.

Thank goodness for factory reset!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 12:33 PM   #13
Bmwmikey330
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 bmw 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarboroughBMW View Post
Got it working!

Using ISTA-D, I cleared fault codes, calibrated steering and VTG sensor, still no go.

I reset CAS, KOMBI using ISTA-D, still no go.

Had a 5F44 fault, DSC: Check Clutch Switch, found sensor reading in CAS module within ISTA, and read both states, unpressed and pressed, clutch switch module is operational.

Got a C91E fault, No Message (terminal status, 0x130), receiver JBE, transmitter CAS. Seems DSC is not receiving signal from Junction Box, and Junction Box was not receiving signal from CAS, so issue with CAS.

With further research, I found out that you cannot use the "Process Car" function in NCS Expert to reset the all modules in the car. I should have made this clear in my original post. Apparently, the 2MULF module cannot be coded using the K+Dcan cable. Probably why I did not see this module in ISTA within the control tree.

Using the Bimmergeeks Standard Tools distribution, and Factory Coding profile, I reset just the CAS module from withing NCS Expert.

All is good now, car starts without issue, with just the clutch, no error codes on dash.

So, registering the battery did mess up something in my CAS, trying to reset to factory was the right idea, but I went about it the wrong way.

For anyone with similar issue, car not starting, unless brake and clutch is pressed, try reset of CAS via NCS Expert using the Factory Coding profile, DO NOT USE PROCESS CAR, you will likely get the error in my original post, use Process ECU.

Hi please help me I used the inpa today (not got a clue)
And this was to reset my elv count and fit a emulator box to bypass steering lock

I went on and cleared codes and reset my ecu

Then did a battery registration

Now the car cranks but doesn't start and I'm really stuck been trying all sorts all day and my inpa is in all German.....

Any ideas
Appreciate 0