E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Full Review -- Supreme Power -- Lowering Perches ----------

02-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #155
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedCC View Post
These perches actually lengthen the static distance from Bottom Spring Perch (fixed on strut) to Top Spring Perch (Supreme Power) so the spring is not as compressed upon top hat assembly as it was with stock top hat.

Thus, the car now sees an initially lighter spring (same spring but not as compressed as stock assembly) with the strut sitting further into its stroke (hence the approximate 0.5 inch lowering), and in my case has further increases bump stop activity. Outcome will vary based on existing strut/spring that is used and their related baseline performance.
Ummm...when the car is on the ground, the spring is compressed the exact same amount. That is dictated by the cars weight, which hasn't changed.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #156
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

correct the spring is compressed to the same length per the weight of the vehicle but the top of the spring is closer to the shock tower bolts (fixed position on the body) thus the car in effect is lowered.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 12:09 PM   #157
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

I promised to post photos. This morning I dig out the strut mounts. SP lowering perches are known to make contact with the strut mount. This will most definetely happen with old worn out strut mounts. In my case it did with brand new mountd as well. The perch and the mount will colide under heavy loads. In my case during hard cornering on the track causing the steering to jam up briefly. I replaced the with Ground Control plates which also have design flaw but that is for a different thread. Take a look:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #158
Twnturbofanatic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 Black Saphire 335i M Sport

got my perches installed today.. the shop i had install them refused to leave off the rubber seating between the perch and the spring so i basically had no choice.. told me it was a liability issue that would be on them. regardless even with the rubber seating the cars stance is now perfectly aligned with the rear shocks which is exactly what i was hoping for... i bet without the rubber it would be even lower but I'm happy! anyone know how much lower the car sits without the rubber ring installed? either way well worth the investment in my opinion
2010 E92 335i, M Sport, JB4 G5 iso, Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe, Tial Bov, VSRF Catless Downpipes, Bmw performance exhaust, Dci, Gloss back grills, Depo smoked side markers, carbon fiber emblems , 15% tint, custom carbon wrapped interior.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #159
Theador
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 M Sport 335i

Taken mine back off (at great expense) the issue on mine was the whole spring was turning on the lower perch. Any ideas what it might be? I'm going to be putting in some B8 dampers in a few months. Don't know whether to try again with these perches or just get a set of Eibach Sportline to replace my Eibach pros

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #160
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theador View Post
Taken mine back off (at great expense) the issue on mine was the whole spring was turning on the lower perch. Any ideas what it might be? I'm going to be putting in some B8 dampers in a few months. Don't know whether to try again with these perches or just get a set of Eibach Sportline to replace my Eibach pros
You need to re-read this thread, especially post #157 with the photo I have attached. The mount and the SP perch are binding. Either on the top or the bottom there the mount bearing is.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #161
Theador
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
You need to re-read this thread, especially post #157 with the photo I have attached. The mount and the SP perch are binding. Either on the top or the bottom there the mount bearing is.
Cool yeah I did read through the thread, just a bit confused about the extra washer thing, where it goes in relation to he existing washer. Anyway they're out for now. I think I'll just get a set of Eibach Sportline springs instead so these are up for sale in the next couple of days and my Eibach pro kit will probably be up next month. Only used for a few hundred miles.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #162
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80, 996GT2, 996TT, 991RS 356b

Quote:
PM'd....want to see how we can assist
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #163
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did read through the thread, just a bit confused about the extra washer thing, where it goes in relation to he existing washer.
Next to the existing washer!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 03:57 PM   #164
Theador
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Next to the existing washer!
Thank-you, very helpful.

I didn't install them myself so I'm relaying info back to the guys who did, and as such I'm working totally blind, having never taken the suspension off an e91.

Above existing? Below existing? As it seems imperative to get the exisitng washer in the right way up, It sounds like it's equally important to get any other washers installed on the correct side of the existing one. I have no idea what the existing washer looks like. What's the order of components? anybody have a diagram?

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 04:17 PM   #165
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank-you, very helpful.

I didn't install them myself so I'm relaying info back to the guys who did, and as such I'm working totally blind, having never taken the suspension off an e91.

Above existing? Below existing? As it seems imperative to get the exisitng washer in the right way up, It sounds like it's equally important to get any other washers installed on the correct side of the existing one. I have no idea what the existing washer looks like. What's the order of components? anybody have a diagram?
Yes, convex side up, so it will not bind on the mount under flex. Depends on the size of the new washer. If matches the race on the bearing it can go on top. If is wider it will have to go between the existing washer and the perch.
Appreciate 1
Theador82.50
      08-03-2016, 04:25 PM   #166
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank-you, very helpful.

#7 dome washer...the washer flat side MUST sit flat on the spring perch or it will bind and make noise. The domed/curved side must point upward.

Last edited by supremepower; 08-03-2016 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3761.50
      08-03-2016, 04:38 PM   #167
Theador
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, convex side up, so it will not bind on the mount under flex. Depends on the size of the new washer. If matches the race on the bearing it can go on top. If is wider it will have to go between the existing washer and the perch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremepower View Post
#7 dome washer...the washer flat side MUST sit flat on the spring perch or it will bing and make noise. The domed/curved side must point upward.

OK thanks guys, this is much clearer now. I'm probably going to wait until I get my Bilstien B8 shocks before putting these back in. By the sound of it, I might do well to buy some new top mounts too.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 04:40 PM   #168
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK thanks guys, this is much clearer now. I'm probably going to wait until I get my Bilstien B8 shocks before putting these back in. By the sound of it, I might do well to buy some new top mounts too.
If you need shocks or the new top mounts let me know and I can get you a deal. ANY questions are more than welcome regarding installation.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 04:55 PM   #169
Theador
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you need shocks or the new top mounts let me know and I can get you a deal. ANY questions are more than welcome regarding installation.
Thanks Man. I'm in the UK so the postage might get a bit whack.

Couple of images here of the marks after taking back out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #170
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Man. I'm in the UK so the postage might get a bit whack.

Couple of images here of the marks after taking back out.
The washer under the bearing is most likely missing and causing the top hat to to touch the top mount....can see the wear marks in the photo you posted.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #171
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Man. I'm in the UK so the postage might get a bit whack. Couple of images here of the marks after taking back out.
Those match the scuff marks on mine pretty much perfectly.
Quote:
The washer under the bearing is most likely missing and causing the top hat to to touch the top mount....can see the wear marks in the photo you posted.
Never the product, always the installation.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #172
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those match the scuff marks on mine pretty much perfectly.
Never the product, always the installation.
We have seen some product issues in the past many years ago but not with the updated black perches. Install is typically the culprit.

If you have scuff marks too perhaps the rubber in the top hat is worn. How old are they?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 09:26 PM   #173
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We have seen some product issues in the past many years ago but not with the updated black perches. Install is typically the culprit.

If you have scuff marks too perhaps the rubber in the top hat is worn. How old are they?
I'll try to keep it cool and short because you obviously didn't bother to read the thread:
-rubber was new, was installed brand new.
-install was correct
-your product was the issue
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 09:46 PM   #174
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll try to keep it cool and short because you obviously didn't bother to read the thread:
-rubber was new, was installed brand new.
-install was correct
-your product was the issue
You are correct: I did not read the thread, but we dont have issues when we install this product. We would be happy to refund you on the parts it didnt work out on your car. Hopefully you reached out to us for assistance. We dont produce this product, we buy it from Supersport Germany and resell it.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #175
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are correct: I did not read the thread, but we dont have issues when we install this product. We would be happy to refund you on the parts it didnt work out on your car. Hopefully you reached out to us for assistance. We dont produce this product, we buy it from Supersport Germany and resell it.
I did reach out, didn't get help, as you did previously, the installed was blamed, I removed the perches and moved on.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 02:10 PM   #176
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did reach out, didn't get help, as you did previously, the installed was blamed, I removed the perches and moved on.
Sorry about that. Probably didnt reach me, Eric. If I can assist w anything in the future would be happy to make up for the perches and then some!
Appreciate 0