E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Problem: 335i acceleration cuts out for <1 sec mid-gear, resulting in jolt

03-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #23
rismo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

I have the same, especially when going to a complete gear in wot.... gear 4-5 a big kind of blowwoff... missfire and the recovery.... around 5700-6500rpm.. very annoying... still analysing...
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - MHD by Buraq - RB Next Gen - RB Inlets/Outlet - Forge Diverter Valves - AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - FuelIT Stage 2 LPFP - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - Carbon Endurance Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PS2 - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #24
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

carbon build up, I had the similar symptoms. all you need to do is shutdown and re-start the engine and it will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rismo123 View Post
I have the same, especially when going to a complete gear in wot.... gear 4-5 a big kind of blowwoff... missfire and the recovery.... around 5700-6500rpm.. very annoying... still analysing...
      03-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #25
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

My car experienced similar symptoms before the engine light on the Fixed Light Indicator finally turned on (during WOT at high engine RPM).

It turned out to be carbon build up, you just need to get it cleaned-out.

My car is '07 335i, Dinan S2 tuned, at 49k km, ~30k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazd View Post
Hi all,
My vehicle:
Recently purchased CPO 2008 335i steptronic with no modifications and 58k miles.

Problem description:
On two occasions within the past month, my engine has "cut out" for a split second when accelerating under wide open throttle. The car will be accelerating fine around 5000 RPM, then will suddenly lose all engine power (not electrical, iDrive and dash are unaffected), then resume accelerating at full force less than a second later, resulting in quite the jolt and a drop in RPMs.

Supplemental information:
  • No lights are visible in dash during power loss (DTC is not flashing).
  • This is in the near the top of a gear (but not during a shift).
  • I cannot recall if I was in DS (sport mode) or not, but I was definitely not in steptronic (manual) mode.
  • I have not read codes yet, but I do not have check engine or any warning lights.

Research:
I searched extensively and found the following posts which describe the same issue (though they're on different or modified cars):

Has anyone else seen and/or resolved this problem?

The only suggestion reported as successful is replacing the fuel filter. Can anyone attest or refute this solution? Does anyone have other suggestions?

Please let me know if I can provide additional information. I appreciate your help and value your time!
      03-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #26
lazd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimple View Post
Sounds like a misfire condition. Ignition coils were my culprit.
Can you describe what you experienced when your car was misfiring (before the coil actually went bad)? I went through your post history and found this and this, but I never saw a firsthand description of what the misfire felt like.

For me, it feels like the engine completely "cuts out" for a split second, resulting in a very noticeable jolt. Is this what a misfire feels like under WOT?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #27
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:
Can you describe what you experienced when your car was misfiring (before the coil actually went bad)? I went through your post history and found this and this, but I never saw a firsthand description of what the misfire felt like.

For me, it feels like the engine completely "cuts out" for a split second, resulting in a very noticeable jolt. Is this what a misfire feels like under WOT?
never happened to me, but I saw a couple of youtube videos and it seems to be just like you're saying a cut out
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #28
lazd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
never happened to me, but I saw a couple of youtube videos and it seems to be just like you're saying a cut out
I actually did a search earlier on youtube for "335i misfire" and it didn't look like the engine cut out at all (see this video where it just sounds like the tone changes). Can you link to the YouTube videos you're referring to? Then I can see if it's the same issue. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #29
pimple
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i N54

Quote:

I'd describe it just like you said--split second cut out and jolt when accelerating aggressively. Otherwise, no sign of a problem.

I had the problem 3 times. Of two of those, the problem would eventually progress to the sudden point of noticeable loss of power, rough running, and engine shaking.

The first time around, I didn't know what was happening except that I knew that something was amiss. The car was due for the HPFP and injector recall and I took it to the dealer hoping the problem would be resolved with that service. Conveniently, the problem progressed while the tech was working on the car. On the paperwork, he noted that he got the check-engine indicator, experienced misfiring, checked faults and noted a misfire code. He did the spark plug swap to test if the misfire followed (it didn't), and then replaced an ignition coil. After replacing the ignition coil, all was good.

2nd time around, same exact problem, just within a couple thousand miles of the first time. Off to the dealer it went. No faults or engine light. I had to take the shop foreman out with me to duplicate the problem, which I could readily. For demonstration purposes, I'd put the tranny in M3 or M4 from moderate speed and gave it WOT. Misfire could be felt past 3k RPM or so. I did it a few times for him, and on the last try, the problem progressed--engine light, rough running, engine shaking. Same eventual diagnosis and repair (but on a different cylinder of course).

3rd time around, just a couple weeks later and past 50k miles. This time, I took the matter into my own hands. I ordered the BT tool, 6 new ignition coils and spark plugs. The BT tool didn't show any faults. After replacing all the coils and spark plugs, problem solved. And no problem since, which was about 7 months and 8k miles ago. I left the dealer feedback, letting them know that the 2nd coil failure should have clued them in about replacing all coils.

Last edited by pimple; 03-27-2012 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #30
e90fun
('''\(;,,,;)/''')
Rep
Drives: AW 335i e90

Quote:
I actually did a search earlier on youtube for "335i misfire" and it didn't look like the engine cut out at all (see this video where it just sounds like the tone changes). Can you link to the YouTube videos you're referring to? Then I can see if it's the same issue. Thanks!
Ive experience both situations.

The first is the one that you are experiencing which is like a sudden loss of power that actually sort of lurches you forward in your seat then resumes to pull.

On the track, ive also experienced what hotrod's video displays where it was almost like a rapid fire or fart sound almost.. this happened twice during a session and lead to me having a half engine light with cut power, a minute later the lights went off and all power was back.

Stock map, this issue NEVER occurs.

Wierd because it seems many are having the problem across the map with different tunes whether it be dinan, procede, or jb4.
      03-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #31
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 Audi TTRS  [10.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [9.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
So i think we are all on the same page as to what it feels like when the car loses power with this issue.
Pimple seems to think that replacing the ignition coils fixed the issue for him as he said in this post http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=29 .

I havnt had this issue lately, but i am sure it will come back. Ill try to get it while logging and we will finally have some data to look at!

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #32
VantageV8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E89 35i, E92 335i

I do not believe OP is experiencing misfire, if you have misfire, the car would shake, and SEL would turn on. Definitely you will see misfire code from BT or CANtool.

I have experienced the similar "jolt" recently. Regardless of the weather, rpm, gear.
The jolt is very significant, almost as if you hit a wall for a split second.
I have not yet find the source of the problem. No code was thrown.

I am 2010 LCI E92 N55, FBO with meth. Currently 30,000km, my spark plugs were replaced 7000km ago.

For the time being, I will replaced all coil and spark plugs again, and put some additive to my oil and fuel system to see if it eliminate the carbon build up possibility.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 05:33 AM   #33
geterdone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

DME is causing Throttle Closure, that's all I will say for now.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #34
krazyking
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 BMW 335Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fun View Post
The first is the one that you are experiencing which is like a sudden loss of power that actually sort of lurches you forward in your seat then resumes to pull.
Yeah I seem to be having this issue as mentioned. But I've only seemed to notice it after installing the JB4 and setting it to Map 1. I also feel that it might be because the engine hasn't been warmed up enough and you're already pushing it on WOT.

What can be down to resolve it?
      03-31-2012, 02:16 AM   #35
geterdone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

When I upgraded to the 3/7 JB4 Firmware my problem went away for now. Seems like many are having this issue. Any tuners what to chime in. Hell I almost got rid of the car for this reason.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #36
VantageV8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E89 35i, E92 335i

Any update on this?
I have recently changed the spark plug again. While I am at it, I have also changed the coil, motor oil, rear differential oil, cleaned the VANOS.
The problem still persisted. Sometime it hits so hard it almost throw my face into the steering wheel. Again, no code was stored at all. I have talked to BMW, and they still fed me the same BS that if anything is wrong, DME will have code, which is not true.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 04:20 AM   #37
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

you should log and try to replicate.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 11:43 PM   #38
Murph335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 N54 e90, '10 N54 e93, TBSS

Garage List
2015 Tesla P85D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
you should log and try to replicate.
Reviving this thread bc I can't resolve. Tuner lowered boost to about 16.

Added
Forge diverters
Back at the shop for
New plugs
N20 sensor

I can replicate in M5 mode at wot. Here are the shaky logs with stock diverters the first time I got the car back..

http://datazap.me/u/murph335/rb-turb...0&data=1-3-4-8" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://datazap.me/u/...ta=1-3-4-8</a> tons of other logs in my profile.

No codes with cobb. I logged timing and hpf and lpfp today on the 16 psi map and it was doing it. I hope it's just plugs. Shop has the car now so I didn't get a chance to pull that data.

Dyno runs in in 4th looked fine.

2010 e93 FBO e30 and Rb turbos. Would like to figure this out before burning more $$$ guessing.

Update:
**fixed** replaced all coils bc it got worse and threw a code. Injectors tested fine.
      10-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #39
JDuke335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i , Alpine white

I have the same problem as well , Full bolt on . It only happens when I'm in sport mode and manually shifting gears in higher rpm , it's almost like it starts bucking . No codes are thrown . When in auto it's fine , though sometimes when cruising I might feel a light surge but not sure if it's related . 09 335i msport , 50k miles

Last edited by JDuke335i; 10-21-2014 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #40
6spdTanzM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Tanzanite Blue 6spd

I had the same issue happen to me today. It is like hitting a wall or someone swinging a bat as hard as they can into the front of the car. Happened around 3-4k RPM and maybe 75% hard on the gas pedal. As soon as it hit the RPMs jumped to 6-7k on its own then fell back to normal like nothing happened.

Has anyone had any more luck with this or found the fix?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 07:19 PM   #41
2010 M Sport
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 M Sport

Quote:
Hi all,
My vehicle:
Recently purchased CPO 2008 335i steptronic with no modifications and 58k miles.

Problem description:
On two occasions within the past month, my engine has "cut out" for a split second when accelerating under wide open throttle. The car will be accelerating fine around 5000 RPM, then will suddenly lose all engine power (not electrical, iDrive and dash are unaffected), then resume accelerating at full force less than a second later, resulting in quite the jolt and a drop in RPMs.

Supplemental information:
  • No lights are visible in dash during power loss (DTC is not flashing).
  • This is in the near the top of a gear (but not during a shift).
  • I cannot recall if I was in DS (sport mode) or not, but I was definitely not in steptronic (manual) mode.
  • I have not read codes yet, but I do not have check engine or any warning lights.

Research:
I searched extensively and found the following posts which describe the same issue (though they're on different or modified cars):

Has anyone else seen and/or resolved this problem?

The only suggestion reported as successful is replacing the fuel filter. Can anyone attest or refute this solution? Does anyone have other suggestions?

Please let me know if I can provide additional information. I appreciate your help and value your time!

Update: A number of people have reported similar problems and a variety of causes:

Others have reported, but not fixed:
Sounds like your LPFP sensor. I had the same problem with my 2009 335i.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #42
E90335XI
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI ; E88 135I

This has been happening to me lately too, happened today on the DYNO not being able to run Map 2 it would cut out at 5200rpm and loose all power 4th gear pull! Has anyone found an answer to this issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #43
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
do you have a BT tool? so you can read the codes. May be that will help you debug faster.
+1, get a BT tool, is a must for helping to diagnose.. Also you can use to reset adaptations which might cure the issue.

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 06:00 AM   #44
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Anyone ever solve this? Seems to be happening to me now, stock or tuned around 5psi. No codes. I'm guessing it's electrical since every time I try to log it the program freezes.
Appreciate 0