E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > E92 best staggered wheels/tire setup

04-21-2021, 06:11 PM   #1
Mnazir541
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335i xdrive coupe

E92 best staggered wheels/tire setup

Greetings bmw owners! I had posted on a old thread some time back that i was in need for a new set of wheels and tires. I appreciate who helped me out before but some delays held up my plans for my first mod on my stock e92 but i am now finally ready (suspension work will follow in a few months). I will now be looking for a staggered set up as i like the sporty look w wider tires in the rear. I aim to achieve a good sporty look with meat on the road but still aim to achieve a good comfortable ride along w great handling. I'm not interested in the rims popping out styles as i'm in NY and i will have to watch out for pot holes and i will be driving pretty frequently. I know you can't have everything but i would like to have the perfect balance. I am going to go w 18's instead of the stock 17's and was thinking probably apex 8.5 width rims on the front and 9.5 in the rear. What combination of tire size and rim size would you guys prefer for me to meet my goals? Is that a good rim size or should i go wider? Also what would be the best tire size for my goals? I'll be grateful and appreciate any help coming this way 😊
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 11:37 AM   #2
Yotaismygame
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (Beam)

1x X 8.5 et30-35

1x X 9.5 et35

with 235//275 is exactly what you want.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 11:45 AM   #3
Yotaismygame
Lieutenant
Rep

My brothers car. 19x8.5 et33 235/35/19 & 19x9.5 et35 275/30/19. Not super aggressive but not sunk in at all. He's on stock suspension so I can't say if you'll rub once lowered. Doesn't look it though.

2012 e92 335xi
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 04:58 PM   #4
Mnazir541
Rep

Thank you for taking the time out to respond, i like the way your brother's car looks. I can't go with the 19's however as i'm in NY and that would prob be suicide lol. How's the ride? What's the difference in feel between the stock wheel setup and what u have now? How's life with understeer? I've also noticed people keep the tire setups the same but change the rim size. Usually 235/265 is popular and apex (the wheels i want) claim it's flush fitment. Instead of some people going with 8.5 and 9.5 like you recommended some people will go w 9 and 10 or something. What's the point of going with that? What difference does the rim size make when the tires are the same? Also do you really think i should go w 275 in the rear instead of 265? I can appreciate the extra rubber but will it kill the ride? Will it rub?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 09:03 AM   #5
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnazir541 View Post
Thank you for taking the time out to respond, i like the way your brother's car looks. I can't go with the 19's however as i'm in NY and that would prob be suicide lol. How's the ride? What's the difference in feel between the stock wheel setup and what u have now? How's life with understeer? I've also noticed people keep the tire setups the same but change the rim size. Usually 235/265 is popular and apex (the wheels i want) claim it's flush fitment. Instead of some people going with 8.5 and 9.5 like you recommended some people will go w 9 and 10 or something. What's the point of going with that? What difference does the rim size make when the tires are the same? Also do you really think i should go w 275 in the rear instead of 265? I can appreciate the extra rubber but will it kill the ride? Will it rub?
For what it's worth, I run 19s in Canada for half the year. I dodge pot holes like crazy but it's doable. 19s look so good I put up with the hardness. My car is also on st coil overs.
If you have Xdrive, it's extremely important the circumference of the tires between front and rear are within 1% of each other. You will ruin your xdrive transfer case if not.

My setup is
Avant Garde rims + continental extreme sport contact tires
275 30 19 rears
235 35 19 front
I can't remember my exact offset (in the 30s) but I have a lci so it's slightly different than pre lci.

Even being this low I have zero rubbing and handling is excellent. It is a firm ride though.
Attached Images

04-25-2021, 04:40 PM   #6
Mnazir541
Rep

Your car looks great! I also have the same liquid blue color on my e92 😎. If i go with the exact same setup as you but go 18 instead of 19, i should have a diameter difference of 0% which would be perfect but i don't think i can find tires with that size for some reason. But if i increase the height of the tire and go 40/35 instead it will give me a diameter diff of 0.8 percent. What are your thoughts on about going with that setup? Also if you can let me know how do i decide what rim size to go with? How do you go about selecting that? What advantages do you get with a bigger one and vice versa
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 06:02 PM   #7
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Your car looks great! I also have the same liquid blue color on my e92 😎. If i go with the exact same setup as you but go 18 instead of 19, i should have a diameter difference of 0% which would be perfect but i don't think i can find tires with that size for some reason. But if i increase the height of the tire and go 40/35 instead it will give me a diameter diff of 0.8 percent. What are your thoughts on about going with that setup? Also if you can let me know how do i decide what rim size to go with? How do you go about selecting that? What advantages do you get with a bigger one and vice versa
Thanks! The blue water metallic is a great colour.
Biggest advantage to larger wheels is looks. Euro cars look great with larger rims. Plus the handling advantages of a low profile tire. Down sides would be : rims and tires cost more, ride is firmer with that smaller sidewall.
(My rear tires cost 400 each. )

Are you lowered or plan to? 18s will look fine, you will just have more rubber. My winter tire set up are 18s but square 245 all the way around.

Offset is very important too. You want them nice and flush vs tucked. Different Rims
Come in different offsets. I really wanted my back rims to have a concave face since I was going staggered.
I used a performance shop that does a lot
Of euro cars. They knew what offset and size would fit my needs.

Winter wheels :
Attached Images

04-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #8
Yotaismygame
Lieutenant
Rep

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Keep in mind a E90 has more space in the rear than a E92. Comparing the two is not direct. Get wheels roughly in the ET35 range and add spacers if needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 05:15 PM   #9
Mnazir541
Rep

Is it called blue water metallic? lol idk why i thought it was liquid blue, nevertheless great color indeed! Just got off the phone with apex and i think i'm going to be rolling the dice on the arc8 satan black 18 9.0 et30 front and 18 9.5 et35 in the rear along with tires that are 235/40/18 front and 265/35/18 rear. I inquired about the 275 in the rear but apparently that requires rolling the fenders. I hope this looks good on stock height as it will be a little while until i get to drop the car. Thanks once again for everyone that helped and chimed in! Still open to any recommendations and comments about the setup i will be going with!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 05:26 PM   #10
Yotaismygame
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
In my first post I didn't specify wheel diameter because it does not matter. The width however does. You are correct with 18's youll run a 40 front and 35 rear.

IMO if you don't plan on running stretched tires stick with 8.5/9.5 staggered setup. Originally my car came with 235/265 which were on 9/10 wide wheels. The tires had quite a bit of stretch to them making them look even more low pro. I quickly swapped them out for 245/275's and IMO it looks much better. But let me tell you my front wheel is 1-2mm from making contact with the coil spring on my coilovers. It's tight! This is where a 8.5" front rim makes more sense.

There is several setups you could run. Wide wheels with stretched tires, staggered set, square set.

For 18's run a 235/265, 235/275, 245/275 all are within spec for what's recommended for XI cars. 265's in the rear will pretty much guarantee you won't rub. Personally I'd stick a 275 in the back and if you rub itll just be a little. Get the rear fenders rolled a touch and itll be fine. Won't even notice.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 05:37 PM   #11
Yotaismygame
Lieutenant
Rep

If you go with APEX talk to them about fitting the right setup. They'll help for sure. I went down that road myself and didn't find the exact offset I was after.

https://www.apexraceparts.com/shop-b...x-pre-lci.html

https://www.apexraceparts.com/shop-b...e-lci-oem.html

The top setup will be the easiest to fit. You could run there 18x9 et31 & 18x9.5 et35 setup with 245/275s.
Appreciate 0