E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Best Bang for Buck E92 335i Mods

11-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #23
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

AWD modded and lowered equals a formidable and fun to drive in any condition including dry street car. Agreed, if u r going to track the car, I'd skip the AWD. If ur going to street it, AWD for the win!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #24
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.M.W. View Post
Well I found a 2JZ-GTE from a junkyard for $500 & put it in my Solstice which lined up perfect & then had a close to +140whp+tq for under $600. That's an isolated incident though, I can't wait to start playing with this N54!

As for that graph, how reliable is the $95 Walbro fuel pump for e85? I know the N54 HPFP is always running on borrowed time, but if it's reliable when mine goes I'll probably get it.
The inline Walbro GSL392 LPFP will work fine and people have put 10s of thousands of miles on them with no issue. They aren't E85 certified so at some point they and the stock LPFP will fail. I'd recommend the Stage 2 set up from Fuel-it.biz. It uses the stock bucket but replaces the stock LFPP with an E85 certified Walbro 450. No need for an inline pump outside the bucket. It's a cleaner set up and install. Either way talk to Steve over at Fuel-it. He's the man when it comes to fueling for these cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #25
SLEEP3R
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

I will be selling my jb4 and BMS DCI combo soon. Let me know if you're interested.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 04:11 PM   #26
Theador
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 M Sport 335i

First Mod, QUAIFE LSD. Then update your antiroll bars, then FBO as already suggested. I'm about to try MHD on mine rather than JB4. Currently running a HARTGE map on a stock engine, I'm putting Catless downpipes and a Wagner Competition FMIC on it so will try the Stage 2+ map in MHD.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 04:50 PM   #27
muncie21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Holy necro-post batman!
I wonder what our boy back in 2014 bought....
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 05:26 PM   #28
Theador
Lieutenant
Rep

Hahahhah. Love reanimating!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 07:04 PM   #29
Gohan335i7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [10.00]
+1 Get that Limited Slip Diff!! You have a lot of power already. If you want more you can always get it done in the future. 🤘
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 08:00 PM   #30
WTF?
Giggidy..
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

2010 TT Camaro, and no mention of water/meth. ????
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 11:13 PM   #31
B.M.W.
Something Danger Zone
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theador View Post
First Mod, QUAIFE LSD. Then update your antiroll bars, then FBO as already suggested. I'm about to try MHD on mine rather than JB4. Currently running a HARTGE map on a stock engine, I'm putting Catless downpipes and a Wagner Competition FMIC on it so will try the Stage 2+ map in MHD.
Wow...bringing her back from the dead huh
I ended up doing MHD & have catless downpipes+N55 mid pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by muncie21 View Post
Holy necro-post batman!
I wonder what our boy back in 2014 bought....
Lol I thought the same thing, it was weird seeing my first thread revived.
I bought a 2009 E92 335i M-Sport Auto & have a E46 M3 (manual)
I mentioned the mods above, but I also have better tires and a few other small performance mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan335i7 View Post
+1 Get that Limited Slip Diff!! You have a lot of power already. If you want more you can always get it done in the future. 🤘
I'm considering an LSD, but this is a full street car. If I really wanted to have a crazy car I'd mod the E46 more than it is already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF? View Post
2010 TT Camaro, and no mention of water/meth. ????
I used meth injection, but I don't like it. I'd rather just have 1 fuel to worry about. The 2010 Camaro was also a v6 not a v8 so it wasn't stupid quick, but I surprised a few Bolt on v8's and even some tuned 335i's
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #32
OffensiveDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi 6MT

It's amazing how much misinformation there is here. Sure the xi is heavier and has a lesser suspension but it is indisputable that a well modified xi will spank its 2 wheel drive brother on a road course. Think about coming out of a corner under full throttle. End of story.

The problem is that you will have to spend a lot of money. The easiest cheapest way to go is 2wd.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 11:01 AM   #33
TrollToll
Banned
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffensiveDriver View Post
It's amazing how much misinformation there is here. Sure the xi is heavier and has a lesser suspension but it is indisputable that a well modified xi will spank its 2 wheel drive brother on a road course. Think about coming out of a corner under full throttle. End of story.

The problem is that you will have to spend a lot of money. The easiest cheapest way to go is 2wd.
If the rwd has decent tires and a driver who knows what he's doing, it will do fine. Awd is for bad roads and bad drivers. It's just more stuff to break.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #34
Theador
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.M.W. View Post
Wow...bringing her back from the dead huh
I ended up doing MHD & have catless downpipes+N55 mid pipes
Haha. it's better to recycle lol.

How's the car with the DPs and MHD? Which map are you using?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #35
OffensiveDriver
Private
Rep

I know this isn't an xi thread but since there's been so much discussion, for anyone interested, this is the best bit I've read about coding the xi for maximum performance:

http://www.onelapx1.com/blog

Carry on.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #36
B.M.W.
Something Danger Zone
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theador View Post
Haha. it's better to recycle lol.

How's the car with the DPs and MHD? Which map are you using?
Stage 2+FMIC on 93 octane. It's just a street car so I'm not doing many WOT pulls to actually need a FMIC. The sounds are amazing, and no droning up to 80mph.
The Performance Exhaust, catless downpipes and N55 mids work great to give it some more grunt, but my turbo rattling is easy to hear on deceleration or Reving at idle.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #37
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Typical FBO (Full bolt ons, Intake Downpipe FMIC Exhaust) with JB4 is the best bang for the buck.

I wouldn't get xi unless you need it for the snow, which is likely not the case for a South Carolina resident.
I have XI and it's nice to have extra traction, but snow tires on a RWD gets you where you need to go just fine.. XI mods are more limited and XI can be more costly if you have problems with diff, transfer case, etc...

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #38
OffensiveDriver
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb335xi View Post
I have XI and it's nice to have extra traction, but snow tires on a RWD gets you where you need to go just fine.. XI mods are more limited and XI can be more costly if you have problems with diff, transfer case, etc...
again.

Posters keep saying that the xi is good for the snow. Yeah.

It's also incredible in the rain and potentially (with enough money) on the track.

Below is a great video of a 2010 535 xi with I'm assuming, minimal mods. For some reason I thought it was an e61 (touring) but anyway, the driver's track toy was broken and he decided to take the xi on the track in the rain. Not going that fast but I love when he cracks up when the Corvette gives up.

The xi is FUN in the rain.

Best bang for the buck ? MHD tune I would say hands down. The problem is you will have to spend money on maintenance (likely).

I did injectors, plugs, coils and walnut blast before I tuned it because I'm an adult and I don't want to spend my time tracking down fault codes and swapping injectors and coils. Sounds exhausting.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #39
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:

You're right, it is amazing....b/c all the bmw race cars are XI models

GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 09:56 PM   #40
OffensiveDriver
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black n54is View Post
You're right, it is amazing....b/c all the bmw race cars are XI models

Well kiddies there are rules first of all. Different forms of racing have experimented with it in the past and for various reasons have not been implemented. I understand that in F1 in addition to the extra weight of AWD system, the weight penalty imposed by F1 was not worth it.

The kind of road course would make a difference to as accelerating out of corners would be the primary advantage.

AWD is not the end all, but it is absolutely awesome when properly applied into a supercar, or a racecar, of which there are too many to list here.

If you don't know anything and want someone to hear you I suggest you go talk to your dog.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 11:39 PM   #41
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Well kiddies there are rules first of all. Different forms of racing have experimented with it in the past and for various reasons have not been implemented. I understand that in F1 in addition to the extra weight of AWD system, the weight penalty imposed by F1 was not worth it.

The kind of road course would make a difference to as accelerating out of corners would be the primary advantage.

AWD is not the end all, but it is absolutely awesome when properly applied into a supercar, or a racecar, of which there are too many to list here.

If you don't know anything and want someone to hear you I suggest you go talk to your dog.

Because it's overall slower on a road coarse. Plus if you knew the rules, the reason F1 doesn't allow awd is simply b/c awd is not allowed...that is the rule. It's considered a waste of fuel to carry along the extra weight of an awd system. Weight penalties due to awd is a non issue.

Would be the only, slight advantage that gets completely out weighed by the extra drag caused by awd+weight difference of the vehicle. Any comparable awd car to the rwd version would get overtaken VERY soon after the exit of said corner.

No go ahead...please list all the awd road coarse race cars that are winning over their rwd brothers.

I made a direct comment to your response (which is VERY much disputable) stating that bmw road racing cars are not awd...implying they are not faster and for a reason. Your response to that was to beat around the bush and vaguely make statements without facts or examples to defend yourself and then make a half assed insult. Why even this thread twice?? To overcompensate and justify your xi purchase as to your lack of driving skill? . And your username is classically mature, and something a real adult would think up, because your rationale for being an adult is doing injectors, plugs, coils and a walnut blast before tuning. Attempting to put yourself on a pedestal while simultaneously putting other forum members down for having issues while tuning. I never had said issues when I tuned b/c I did my due diligence as you have, but at the same time never self promoted myself for it either. Don't thread jack and blindly assume things of other forum members.

I was talking to you...
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete

Last edited by BSM n54iS; 05-22-2016 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 12:59 AM   #42
Theador
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah but RWD is loads of fun. I got rid of an S3 Quattro pretty quickly because I'll admit I'm not willing to drive at the speeds (bear in mind it's predominantly road) it takes to make it fun every time I drive it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:00 AM   #43
OffensiveDriver
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black n54is View Post

Because it's overall slower on a road coarse. Plus if you knew the rules, the reason F1 doesn't allow awd is simply b/c awd is not allowed...that is the rule. It's considered a waste of fuel to carry along the extra weight of an awd system. Weight penalties due to awd is a non issue.

Would be the only, slight advantage that gets completely out weighed by the extra drag caused by awd+weight difference of the vehicle. Any comparable awd car to the rwd version would get overtaken VERY soon after the exit of said corner.

No go ahead...please list all the awd road coarse race cars that are winning over their rwd brothers.

I made a direct comment to your response (which is VERY much disputable) stating that bmw road racing cars are not awd...implying they are not faster and for a reason. Your response to that was to beat around the bush and vaguely make statements without facts or examples to defend yourself and then make a half assed insult. Why even this thread twice?? To overcompensate and justify your xi purchase as to your lack of driving skill? . And your username is classically mature, and something a real adult would think up, because your rationale for being an adult is doing injectors, plugs, coils and a walnut blast before tuning. Attempting to put yourself on a pedestal while simultaneously putting other forum members down for having issues while tuning. I never had said issues when I tuned b/c I did my due diligence as you have, but at the same time never self promoted myself for it either. Don't thread jack and blindly assume things of other forum members.

I was talking to you...
Your signature says it all.

Oh and BTW, congratulations on your efficient use of Google.

Last edited by OffensiveDriver; 05-23-2016 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #44
OffensiveDriver
Private
Rep

Update of AWD

Interesting the M5, one of the mightiest sedans around goes AWD.

https://jalopnik.com/2018-bmw-m5-mak...awd-1821018158
Appreciate 0