E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > bmw 335i strange noise

12-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
Flackoo
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

bmw 335i strange noise

i have a 2009 bmw 335i and it has a weird sound. does anyone know what it is or where its coming from?

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
MooreBoost
Stand-up Philosopher
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i

I've had squeaky belts sound like that.

Take a look at yours to make sure it's not degrading, then try some belt lubricant as a temporary fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 02:02 PM   #3
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flackoo View Post
i have a 2009 bmw 335i and it has a weird sound. does anyone know what it is or where its coming from?
Pretty sure it's coming from the car.
Muffler bearings are shot. LOL
What is it with posts like these? Troll, or seriously asking?
Do people not know how to open the hood and listen?
Does the sound occur only when moving, only when engine is running, in the vacuum of deep space? How can anyone think a random squeak on a video can be properly diagnosed with anything other than a wild ass guess?
      12-06-2017, 02:21 PM   #4
Flackoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob View Post
Pretty sure it's coming from the car.
Muffler bearings are shot. LOL
What is it with posts like these? Troll, or seriously asking?
Do people not know how to open the hood and listen?
Does the sound occur only when moving, only when engine is running, in the vacuum of deep space? How can anyone think a random squeak on a video can be properly diagnosed with anything other than a wild ass guess?
It only occurs when it's moving when I give it throttle it sounds like it's coming from the engine
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #5
MysticRob
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It only occurs when it's moving when I give it throttle it sounds like it's coming from the engine
Say what now? Run-on sentences are for kids.
So just to clarify, revving the engine in park does NOT cause it?
And it doesn't do it when you're moving but not revving the engine?
Or does it do it also while coasting and off the throttle? How about with the brakes applied and moving?

Take all your troubleshooting actions, add them up logically, and I bet you'll get it figured out.
      12-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
Flackoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob View Post
Say what now? Run-on sentences are for kids.
So just to clarify, revving the engine in park does NOT cause it?
And it doesn't do it when you're moving but not revving the engine?
Or does it do it also while coasting and off the throttle? How about with the brakes applied and moving?

Take all your troubleshooting actions, add them up logically, and I bet you'll get it figured out.
Yes revving the engine does cause it, also while in motion throttle or no throttle you still hear it. Nothing wrong with the brakes
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #7
MysticRob
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yes revving the engine does cause it, also while in motion throttle or no throttle you still hear it. Nothing wrong with the brakes
So only when moving (aka when not stationary), and pretty much always on or off the throttle. Why would you think it's engine related and not brake related?

If it was engine related it would do it constantly, not just while in motion, right?
If you only hear it while in motion, then it stands to reason it's something wheel well related like brakes or brake sensors, not engine.

Does it do it when you hit the brakes, not hit the brakes, only from a stop as you start to move, always when moving, etc?