E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > DCT behavior at stop light

02-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #1
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

DCT behavior at stop light

I've read a couple threads that say when I come to a stop in a DCT transmission car, that the DCT should disengage the clutch. When I release the brake the car should not move until I start to give it throttle at which point the clutch will start engaging. Does that sounds correct?

My 2013 135is does not do that. When I release the brake it begins rolling forward just like an automatic. However, the onset of the roll is much slower and gentler than an automatic. When I release the brake it feels like the clutch starts to engage. If I then give it gas it seems to engage faster.

How should it be operating?

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #2
RSL
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is

It's a difference between an M and non-M. M DCT does not engage the clutch until you press the accelerator. Non-M DCT will "engage" with brake release, though it may technically operate under the drive off assist logic. Drive off assist on an M DCT is that it simply holds the brakes for up to 2 secs so the car doesn't roll between releasing the brake and stepping on the accel. M-DCT is a total pain in stop/go/creeping traffic scenarios, non-M way is much less annoying.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 07:27 PM   #3
DerekGates
AW E92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
It's a difference between an M and non-M. M DCT does not engage the clutch until you press the accelerator. Non-M DCT will "engage" with brake release, though it may technically operate under the drive off assist logic. Drive off assist on an M DCT is that it simply holds the brakes for up to 2 secs so the car doesn't roll between releasing the brake and stepping on the accel. M-DCT is a total pain in stop/go/creeping traffic scenarios, non-M way is much less annoying.
Oh? You think the M-DCT is a pain in creeping situations? That bothers me; I was going to put in the M3 rear diff to enable M-DCT software in my 335is as the creeping in the 335is bothers me... oh boy.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 09:40 PM   #4
RSL
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is

Yeah, I posted about it and the FD in that thread. It's actually one of the reasons I sold the M3 lol It didn't bother me for a long time, but once it did, there was no ignoring it. Slow moving wasn't a real problem. Stop and then having to press the pedal to move 15 feet at a time every couple seconds for 5-10 miles twice a day, 5 days a week drove me insane after a while. I almost didn't even look at the 335is DCT because of it, but the FD and engagement was much better for me.

Every one/situation/use/goals are different and some might not even notice or care. The M setup/drive logic is lightyears better than non-M DCT. My situation is totally different now and I'd do the swap knowing full well what it's like at this point (with a 2.81 instead of the 3.15), but not sure I'll stay in it long enough to make it worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 07:23 PM   #5
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Sounds like m dct behaves almost like a manual, and probably needs to be driven like one in traffic. I.e., don't sit on the rear bumper of the car in front of you, let it move more than 10-15 feet, ideally, leave 3 car lengths between you and them so that you have to stop less. Will save you some clutch wear, too.
Appreciate 0