E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake/Rotor Recommendations

03-13-2021, 11:18 PM   #1
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 MT6

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Brake/Rotor Recommendations

I'm looking to replace pads and rotors on my '07 E93. I have a couple things to note:

-- I don't take this car to the track (tracks in my area won't allow convertibles). As such, I'm not looking for expensive super high performance brakes. I just want the car to stop efficiently and without squealing.

-- I must have ceramic pads. I hate brake dust on my rims. I can't remember what brand I used last time I changed the pads.

-- I'd like slotted or slotted/drilled rotors, with anti-rust coating. The current rotors are originals, with 100K. And they are only just now out of spec.

-- Has to be something sourced from FCP, Amazon, AutoZone, Advance. I will not buy brakes, or certian other parts, off of eBay.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 02:30 PM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Akebono/Zimmerman FTW
Appreciate 4
tcphoto3513.00
POBEP361.00
Wolf 3352340.50
      03-14-2021, 05:23 PM   #3
aphael
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
akebono pads give off virtually no dust

drilled rotors are basically for looks btw, they can crack over time. If thats fine with you, lots of people use R1. I personally would just go for centric premium rotors off rockauto or the cyrotreated ones. A lot of people track on centric rotors across all cars so they aren't trash quality, just search it up on google.
      03-14-2021, 08:27 PM   #4
Stormhelix
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e91 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
Akebono/Zimmerman FTW
A classic! That's what I run.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 09:57 AM   #5
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Alright, I am not as comitted to drilled rotors based on comments. I was not interested in them for looks, anyway. Do slotted rotors give noticably more grip that smooth rotors?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 10:12 AM   #6
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Dude View Post
Alright, I am not as comitted to drilled rotors based on comments. I was not interested in them for looks, anyway. Do slotted rotors give noticably more grip that smooth rotors?
Not at all. Drilling and slotting are for ventilation and dust mitigation.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 11:09 AM   #7
Skoidat69
Secret Squirrel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328ix E91

Garage List
2007 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Not at all. Drilling and slotting are for ventilation and dust mitigation.
R1's
      03-15-2021, 04:04 PM   #8
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Akebono/Zimmerman FTW
This is the combo I have on my 330i, installed by the previous owner not too long ago. I'm extremely pleased with the brake dust. While not zero, it's very minimal and significantly better than the OEM pads.

I was reluctant to install this combo on my other car based on comments about the initial bite of the Akebono ceramic pads compared to the OEM Textar pads but this is not an issue. I also heard some complaints that these pads click when changing direction but I have never experienced that.

I'd avoid slotted or drilled rotors on the E90, there's no need for them on this platform. The Zimmermann rotors are excellent.
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2424.00
      03-16-2021, 10:23 AM   #9
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
I'm looking to replace pads and rotors on my '07 E93. I have a couple things to note:

-- I don't take this car to the track (tracks in my area won't allow convertibles). As such, I'm not looking for expensive super high performance brakes. I just want the car to stop efficiently and without squealing.

-- I must have ceramic pads. I hate brake dust on my rims. I can't remember what brand I used last time I changed the pads.

-- I'd like slotted or slotted/drilled rotors, with anti-rust coating. The current rotors are originals, with 100K. And they are only just now out of spec.

-- Has to be something sourced from FCP, Amazon, AutoZone, Advance. I will not buy brakes, or certian other parts, off of eBay.

Thanks in advance.
No dust and drilled or slotted rotors do not go into same project. Akebono (IMO absolute POS performance wise, but if running Camry brakes is OK to you, it is OK to me) is way to go for no dust. Textar and ATE also have ceramic options.
Slotted rotors are for dust and water mitigation. They are better option than drilled (drilled, your really want to run top notch rotors, stay away from bottom feeders like Stop Tech or Power Stop). But, slotted rotors will also increase dust. So even with AK you might see some silver dusting.
Drilled are way to go for track if you run some top brand on vehicle or OE rotors. That costs money. They are only good if you can bring brakes to temperature where drilled rotors might help, and that is seriously hard to do on BMW's. Since you do not run vehicle on track, I would stay aways from it. Now, you want bcs. looks? Go for EBC dimpled rotors. They have small dimples that look like drilled, but they are not.
Appreciate 2
      03-16-2021, 12:59 PM   #10
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Best braking option? OEM, not the OEM “budget” version but OEM. 1000s of hard Autobahn stops in my 335i and no fade and no worries. I have tried several “highly recommend” setups and all of them sucked compared to the OEM pads and rotors. Go ahead and get the less dusting pads but you will sacrifice either life of the pad, rotor or stopping ability.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 2
lowrydr3101622.50
      03-16-2021, 10:17 PM   #11
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
Best braking option? OEM, not the OEM “budget” version but OEM. 1000s of hard Autobahn stops in my 335i and no fade and no worries. I have tried several “highly recommend” setups and all of them sucked compared to the OEM pads and rotors. Go ahead and get the less dusting pads but you will sacrifice either life of the pad, rotor or stopping ability.
Original Equipment (OE): BMW pads (or other parts)
Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM): pads from BMW suppliers like: ATE, Textar, Pagid, Jurid.
Aftermarket: parts by manufacturers that are not supplier to BMW (Zimmerman among quality ones).
Autobahn is hard on brakes, but generally won't cause fade. I ran ATE, Jurid and Textar on track, and they are comparable to same products they deliver under BMW badge.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 11:52 PM   #12
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Original Equipment (OE): BMW pads (or other parts)
Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM): pads from BMW suppliers like: ATE, Textar, Pagid, Jurid.
Aftermarket: parts by manufacturers that are not supplier to BMW (Zimmerman among quality ones).
Autobahn is hard on brakes, but generally won't cause fade. I ran ATE, Jurid and Textar on track, and they are comparable to same products they deliver under BMW badge.
Yes, I stand corrected, OE. Not all of the manufacturers sell OE quality under their own name though. If it is OE from BMW it meets those standards.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 07:30 AM   #13
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I stand corrected, OE. Not all of the manufacturers sell OE quality under their own name though. If it is OE from BMW it meets those standards.
Sure, but when it comes to pads, ATE, Textar or Jurid is always in my experience same performance. Same goes for rotors.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 04:57 PM   #14
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sure, but when it comes to pads, ATE, Textar or Jurid is always in my experience same performance. Same goes for rotors.
I disagree with that. My OE rotors have lasted 2-3 times longer and have had zero over heating problems that caused pulsating pedal issues (hot spots which some people refer to as warped rotors). OE are the only pad and rotor combo that I have run without those issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 09:36 PM   #15
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
I disagree with that. My OE rotors have lasted 2-3 times longer and have had zero over heating problems that caused pulsating pedal issues (hot spots which some people refer to as warped rotors). OE are the only pad and rotor combo that I have run without those issues.
I never had warped rotors, ever on ATE or Pagid, which I use on track and it is much harder than Autobahn (and I tested vehicles on Autobahn for oil company, so I know exactly driving conditions there, and I am from Europe). Coincidentally, when I got used E90, rotors started to warp some two months after purchase, and they were well within limits, OE BMW.
Only rotors I ever had constantly issues are OE rotors on my Toyota vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 06:48 AM   #16
aphael
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
No dust and drilled or slotted rotors do not go into same project. Akebono (IMO absolute POS performance wise, but if running Camry brakes is OK to you, it is OK to me) is way to go for no dust. Textar and ATE also have ceramic options.
Slotted rotors are for dust and water mitigation. They are better option than drilled (drilled, your really want to run top notch rotors, stay away from bottom feeders like Stop Tech or Power Stop). But, slotted rotors will also increase dust. So even with AK you might see some silver dusting.
Drilled are way to go for track if you run some top brand on vehicle or OE rotors. That costs money. They are only good if you can bring brakes to temperature where drilled rotors might help, and that is seriously hard to do on BMW's. Since you do not run vehicle on track, I would stay aways from it. Now, you want bcs. looks? Go for EBC dimpled rotors. They have small dimples that look like drilled, but they are not.
I partially disagree with your statement. while drilled does give a slight advantage to ventilation, it has been proven over and over again that they crack on track. even gtr and amg drilled rotors. simply for a road use, they have no purpose other than looks. in fact, most people I know don't track on drilled rotors other than if it's an oem option.

stoptech is by far a cheap brand. powerstop is trash though I do agree. stoptech bbks are usually all slotted rotors and are used in GTA all the time. their pads are more street orientated but their high end stuff is seriously competitive with wilwood and brembo.

one suggestion that nobody has brought up are the z4 35is 2 piece rotors that are direct fit for 335i and non is for 330i. they provide enough weight savings to consider.

ultimately, blanks stop the best and thats why I recommend them. no frills, simple, low maintenance, and perform the best. op can go for slotted and drilled but he should understand it will not benefit him at all especially with going for a street pad. r1 makes rotors that people here rave about so they might be a relatively good option.
      03-28-2021, 08:56 AM   #17
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphael View Post
I partially disagree with your statement. while drilled does give a slight advantage to ventilation, it has been proven over and over again that they crack on track. even gtr and amg drilled rotors. simply for a road use, they have no purpose other than looks. in fact, most people I know don't track on drilled rotors other than if it's an oem option.

stoptech is by far a cheap brand. powerstop is trash though I do agree. stoptech bbks are usually all slotted rotors and are used in GTA all the time. their pads are more street orientated but their high end stuff is seriously competitive with wilwood and brembo.

one suggestion that nobody has brought up are the z4 35is 2 piece rotors that are direct fit for 335i and non is for 330i. they provide enough weight savings to consider.

ultimately, blanks stop the best and thats why I recommend them. no frills, simple, low maintenance, and perform the best. op can go for slotted and drilled but he should understand it will not benefit him at all especially with going for a street pad. r1 makes rotors that people here rave about so they might be a relatively good option.
After the debate in this forum, and reading other materials, I'm just going to go with an FCP Euro kit - solid rotors and ceramic pads. I thought the drilled disks might help with braking in wet conditions, but I don't think that is really the case anymore. And even if I were concerned about aestetics, you can't really see my disks clearly though my rims (stock). Thanks everyone for all the input.

Last edited by E93Dude; 03-28-2021 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
Gregrobin578.00
      03-28-2021, 08:14 PM   #18
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
After the debate in this forum, and reading other materials, I'm just going to go with an FCP Euro kit - solid rotors and ceramic pads. I thought the drilled disks might help with braking in wet conditions, but I dont't think that is really the case anymore. And even if I were concerned about aestetics, you can't really see my the disks clearly though my rims. Thanks everyone for all the input.
Right way to go. No need to over complicate it for a street car. Zimmermann coated blanks and whatever quality pad you want. You can't really go wrong with anything on FCP Euro's site. They do a pretty great job of filtering out the garbage brands. Ceramics will significantly reduce dust, and drilled/slotted rotors do nothing for you on the street except look cool at a car meet. Coated rotors are the best thing you can spend your money on rotor-wise. You'll be very happy when you need to take them off again years later.

Last edited by Welcome to NBA Jam; 03-28-2021 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
E93Dude369.00
      03-28-2021, 09:19 PM   #19
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Right way to go. No need to over complicate it for a street car. Zimmermann coated blanks and whatever quality pad you want. You can't really go wrong with anything on FCP Euro's site. They do a pretty great job of filtering out the garbage brands. Ceramics will significantly reduce dust, and drilled/slotted rotors do nothing for you on the street except look cool at a car meet. Coated rotors are the best thing you can spend your money on rotor-wise. You'll be very happy when you need to take them off again years later.
My E93 gets a decent workout on twisty back roads pretty regularly. Is it still a street car if you drive it on the street like it was on the track when no one is looking?...

The local Advance Auto Parts ceramic stuff has performed OK over the years...but the past months I've done a lot of 100k P/M and repairs. FCP customer service has been great and price as good or better, so I'm sticking with them. I ended up with the Zimmerman/TRW ceramic pads.
      03-28-2021, 09:44 PM   #20
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
My E93 gets a decent workout on twisty back roads pretty regularly. Is it still a street car if you drive it on the street like it was on the track when no one is looking?...

The local Advance Auto Parts ceramic stuff has performed OK over the years...but the past months I've done a lot of 100k P/M and repairs. FCP customer service has been great and price as good or better, so I'm sticking with them. I ended up with the Zimmerman/TRW ceramic pads.
The TRWs are pretty new and I'd love to hear how they are. Great price over there too. $50 or so and it comes with 2 new anti-rattle clips? Pretty awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 10:29 PM   #21
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
The TRWs are pretty new and I'd love to hear how they are. Great price over there too. $50 or so and it comes with 2 new anti-rattle clips? Pretty awesome.
The TRWs had only two reviews on FCP, which tells me not a lot of folks have bought them yet. Approx. $50/set for the TRWs seemed inexpensive for ceramics...but as you noted, I'm not worried about FCP selling crap. If they end up sucking, I'll see if FCP will honor a return, and pay up for Akebonos or better. I'll post a review after the pads have bedded in. I'm sure others here are looking at the same pads at FCP.

I had specific reasons for buying an E93 MT6 years ago, but I sometimes regret it a bit. Tracks near me won't allow convertibles, and for good safety reasons. Still, I have no doubt I could shred the F&$@ out of the chicanes if I wanted to.....

Last edited by E93Dude; 03-28-2021 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 09:56 AM   #22
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
I have cross drilled Zimmerman rotors on all 4 wheels and have not had the problem of them cracking. In fact, the rotors on my front probably have 60-70,000 miles on them. No cracks.

Could they? I'm sure it's possible, but I haven't experienced that.
Appreciate 0