E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > can i keep the money the insurance company sent me?

01-12-2018, 10:49 AM   #23
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

"frame damage"... jeez

you've just posted evidence of insurance scam (body shop's) on the internet.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      01-12-2018, 10:51 AM   #24
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo Loco View Post
"frame damage"... jeez

Yea thats on them not on me
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #25
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

They don't call it New york for nothing lol Secure the bag by any means necessary.

So OP MSport front or 1M Front conversion?
      01-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #26
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
They don't call it New york for nothing lol Secure the bag by any means necessary.

So OP MSport front or 1M Front conversion?
Drff 1m maybe even coilovers too haha
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 01:17 PM   #27
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo Loco View Post
"frame damage"... jeez

This. Insurance fraud is something you don't want to be on the wrong side of.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #28
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90joee View Post
Yea i spoke to statefarm already stating i want the car towed to my house and they said thats fine but the shop wants to charge me about a grand because they took about 4/5 hrs on taking off the parts but well see what happens they told me to call back at 12 to speak to the owner
A grand for 4/5 hours work? $200 an hour! I understand it's NYC but that's ridiculous ... let alone 4/5 hours work on a bumper and headlamp.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 02:17 PM   #29
95 adjutant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i-Sport Suspension

I would try to find their hourly rates for diagnostics and go off of that.$1000 is ridiculous. Try to find something in writing versus having them provide you something in writing. Or better yet find something in writing and then have them provide you the hugely up charged value they are trying to pull off. That’s just disgusting
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #30
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N52UNED View Post
Quote:
Yea i spoke to statefarm already stating i want the car towed to my house and they said thats fine but the shop wants to charge me about a grand because they took about 4/5 hrs on taking off the parts but well see what happens they told me to call back at 12 to speak to the owner
A grand for 4/5 hours work? $200 an hour! I understand it's NYC but that's ridiculous ... let alone 4/5 hours work on a bumper and headlamp.
I can do that in less that an hour
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 05:07 PM   #31
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Go to another shop, get your car fixed, and pocket the difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 05:46 PM   #32
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Just like i said the shop is not going to let this one go easy. They could also include storage fees if they want to. They pretty much hold ur car hostage

And dont be surprise if they get piss off that you are taking the car away and they actually do some damage like bent the frame . They are going to get in big trouble if insurance finds out damage was ĺess.

Last edited by rick100; 01-12-2018 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #33
derrick603
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I got rear ended last year, and part of the damage was a few scratches and small dents on the exhaust tips. The shop said that BMW does not sell tips separately, so the other person's insurance company paid for a new OEM exhaust. I asked the body shop if I could just pocket the cash for the exhaust and he had no problem with it. I took a hundred of that and bought and had welded on a pair of aftermarket exhaust tips (that IMO look better than OEM) and the rest went into my wallet.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 07:00 PM   #34
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

OP here is the deal , this is a well know scam which I m actually familiar with as I used to know an adjuster ( who got fired) that used to this all the time

Usually the shop and adjuster are in it , the shop charges insurance company a ridiculous amount for a little job and the adjuster approves it , no way for the insurance to know as they trust the adviser. Some of these guys even come up with fake pictures of the damage which usually belong to a different car to prove their case

Here is the problem the shop probably already paid the adjuster ( 300-500 $) , and they already had a guy on it taking everything apart to make it look like there is more damage

So now the shop has to make the money back , including what they pay the adjuster

Now here is where I do not really feel bad for you or the shop , both of your are technically scamming the system. You were expecting to just fix your bumper and move on , however , now that you have 5 k in your account you are getting a little greedy and want to keep it all . The bodyshop did all the work to get that money for you , so they also feel like they deserve a part of the pie , which they probably do.

Now you want to play a little dirty to the shop and take the work from them , so they want to make sure they can get at least the money they probably pay the adjuster and whatever they spend on labour to make up damages that were not there.

My advice would be talk to the shop , pay them part of the pie and take the rest. Do not get too greedy as they have your car , the car is hostage right now. If you want your car back without paying you probably need to go the legal way which can get dirty and expensive and it takes time. In the meantime the shop can actually do damage to your car as revenge which you probably will not even notice and even if you do they can always blame it on the accident. Also in the meantime they can come up with other charges like storage fees which they are allow to a certain amount.

The other option is telling the insurance the shop is a fraud and the damage is less, however I highly doubt you want to return the money you got already

So end of the day is , both shop and you are scamming the system, so the shop can play you dirty too.

Im sure guys here are going to tell you to go fight the shop owner , etc ,etc ,etc all childish stuff that they have no clue about.

Call the shop and try to reduce the amount a little bit , keep it friendly . The other route is usually not pretty , I m telling from tons of horror stories I have heard

The 5k may seem like a lot of money but the shop which have your car can make a little scratch become a big fix if they really want to. These shops do not play fair , they are scammers remember that. They can make sure your scratch can become a 5k repair just to cover their ass
Appreciate 1
E90joee147.00
      01-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #35
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
OP here is the deal , this is a well know scam which I m actually familiar with as I used to know an adjuster ( who got fired) that used to this all the time

Usually the shop and adjuster are in it , the shop charges insurance company a ridiculous amount for a little job and the adjuster approves it , no way for the insurance to know as they trust the adviser. Some of these guys even come up with fake pictures of the damage which usually belong to a different car to prove their case

Here is the problem the shop probably already paid the adjuster ( 300-500 $) , and they already had a guy on it taking everything apart to make it look like there is more damage

So now the shop has to make the money back , including what they pay the adjuster

Now here is where I do not really feel bad for you or the shop , both of your are technically scamming the system. You were expecting to just fix your bumper and move on , however , now that you have 5 k in your account you are getting a little greedy and want to keep it all . The bodyshop did all the work to get that money for you , so they also feel like they deserve a part of the pie , which they probably do.

Now you want to play a little dirty to the shop and take the work from them , so they want to make sure they can get at least the money they probably pay the adjuster and whatever they spend on labour to make up damages that were not there.

My advice would be talk to the shop , pay them part of the pie and take the rest. Do not get too greedy as they have your car , the car is hostage right now. If you want your car back without paying you probably need to go the legal way which can get dirty and expensive and it takes time. In the meantime the shop can actually do damage to your car as revenge which you probably will not even notice and even if you do they can always blame it on the accident. Also in the meantime they can come up with other charges like storage fees which they are allow to a certain amount.

The other option is telling the insurance the shop is a fraud and the damage is less, however I highly doubt you want to return the money you got already

So end of the day is , both shop and you are scamming the system, so the shop can play you dirty too.

Im sure guys here are going to tell you to go fight the shop owner , etc ,etc ,etc all childish stuff that they have no clue about.

Call the shop and try to reduce the amount a little bit , keep it friendly . The other route is usually not pretty , I m telling from tons of horror stories I have heard

The 5k may seem like a lot of money but the shop which have your car can make a little scratch become a big fix if they really want to. These shops do not play fair , they are scammers remember that. They can make sure your scratch can become a 5k repair just to cover their ass
I see and i agree. I dont really mind paying the shop because they did put in hours, ill be going there tomorrow and see what they say and hopefully drive off the lot and get to take it home
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #36
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Why does everyone quote the post above them? It makes reading the thread annoying as hell.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #37
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Why not just take it to an independent shop and have them look for frame damage to be sure ?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 05:26 PM   #38
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Frame damage from a scrape?
Does the car still drive?
Does the car still drive straight?
Do you get a steering angle sensor warning?
My car was hit and the rear toe arm got bent. Steering wheel was messed up.

The money is yours.
You can do whatever you want. Fix or not. Part out the car. It's your decision.
$1000 to remove parts. They are charging $200-250 an hour!
That's more than the dealer in SF Bay Area charges per hour.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #39
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post

The money is yours.
Yea like they did more damage to the car and bent the reinforcement bumper frame (the shop did) they charged me about 100 to estimate 6hrs kf labor at 75$ and a 5 day storage fee at 98$ a day
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 05:31 PM   #40
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

I ended up paying $1289 and still pocketing $4600 so will deff be getting an mtech bumper and some new coilovers
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2018, 08:56 PM   #41
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

The money is yours.
Yea like they did more damage to the car and bent the reinforcement bumper frame (the shop did) they charged me about 100 to estimate 6hrs kf labor at 75$ and a 5 day storage fee at 98$ a day
I would be livid! They did damage to your vehicle they wouldn't hav gotten a dime
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 09:02 PM   #42
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
Quote:
Quote:

The money is yours.
I would be livid! They did damage to your vehicle they wouldn't hav gotten a dime
Yea man i was but like guy was being an ass i dont blame him but he bent the corner of the reinforcement frame nothing crazy like it cant bent back with a plier but the thing that got me really mad was that they cracked my bumper when it would just need paint so i just decided to buy an m4 rep bumper to replace it and call it a day and they also cut the wire on my fogs
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #43
Rockseven
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i coupe

I’m in the same exact problem

I’ve been waiting to reply to your post but since I am a new member my account needed to be validated and it took quiet a few days.
Its so funny how I got the same kind of accident just this couple weeks ago, my neighbor rear ended my bumper and i filed a claim with the insurance. I also thought that the damaged wasn’t going to exceed more than 1k. But the shop quoted them almost like 6k. Now , the thing is that my neighbor only had the minimum liability insurance, so the insurance called me and said they were sorry but that they were only going to write me a check for 5k. Now, with this money o also feel I can get a whole Mtech body kit Bro so my question is how did you ended up convincing them to let you take your car back?
What was their reaction?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #44
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockseven View Post
I’ve been waiting to reply to your post but since I am a new member my account needed to be validated and it took quiet a few days.
Its so funny how I got the same kind of accident just this couple weeks ago, my neighbor rear ended my bumper and i filed a claim with the insurance. I also thought that the damaged wasn’t going to exceed more than 1k. But the shop quoted them almost like 6k. Now , the thing is that my neighbor only had the minimum liability insurance, so the insurance called me and said they were sorry but that they were only going to write me a check for 5k. Now, with this money o also feel I can get a whole Mtech body kit Bro so my question is how did you ended up convincing them to let you take your car back?
What was their reaction?
Obviously they were pissed, they charged me about $1200 to take my car back with all the work and storage fees. I just called statefarm letting them know ill be fixing the car myself amd they paid for a tow back home.
Appreciate 0