E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Switching from non run-flats to run-flats. What can I expect?

01-12-2018, 04:34 PM   #1
MrAC
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92

Switching from non run-flats to run-flats. What can I expect?

Currently have 18s on my e92 with non run-flat tires and may buy a set of used 19s that are equipped with potenza RFTs. Never experienced RFT as the vehicle never came with any when I bought it.

Everywhere I see, seems like everyone's hating on the RFTs. There are a select few that say they wished they stayed with their RFT, but I guess it's all personal preference.

Has anyone experienced both tires? If so, what changes did you notice and what did you like/dislike about each tire? Would you rather run a non runflat or runflat for a daily?

Thanks in advanced!

Last edited by MrAC; 01-23-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 04:48 PM   #2
smassey321
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5d - 2006 325i

It all depends on the quality of your roads. RFT is fine in FL. I would be miserable in NYC. I do appreciate the on center feel with RFT at highway speed. It is nice and crisp. But the non RFT lasts 30% longer which I also like.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #3
mweisdorfer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAC View Post
Currently have 18s on my e92 with non run-flat tires and may buy a set of new 19s with potenza RFTs. Never experienced RFT as the vehicle never came with any when I bought it.

Everywhere I see, seems like everyone's hating on the RFTs. There are a select few that say they wished they stayed with their RFT, but I guess it's all personal preference.

Has anyone experienced both tires? If so, what changes did you notice and what did you like/dislike about each tire? Would you rather run a non runflat or runflat for a daily?

Thanks in advanced!
Run flats will not last more than 30,000 miles and they are really expensive
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 05:26 PM   #4
tlow98
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91

Profit.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 05:33 PM   #5
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Bought my 2010 E92 335 brand new and had Bridgestones (Forgot the model) RFTs as OEM. When I switched out the OEMs with non-RFT Michelin PSSs, I could tell the ride quality was better. Now on my second set of PSSs and will replace them with the Pilot Sport 4S in the very near future. I heard there are other RFTs brands that provide better ride quality similar to non-RFTs, but I won’t ever go back.

Another thing to note, since you’re planning to switch to 19 inch wheels your ride will also change because your tires are now thinner. It my handle better, but your ride will be a little harsher especially when you go over bumps and potholes or any kind of rough road. Something to think about if you're concerned about ride and comfort.
You could stay with the 18's and switch to RFTs, but it's up to you. It's your car. Do what makes you happy.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 05:34 PM   #6
Lifelike
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 328i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [0.00]
My run flats were a bitch to get off at the tire shop they told me. Also one of them didn't work as a run flat. My tire went flat and had me driving almost completely on the rim.

I like them other than that, they've saved me from being towed a couple times.

Although I agree with the post above me, they don't last as long as normal tires but I tend to change my tires before they go out anyways.

I'd go for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 02:29 AM   #7
Alloyed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 N55

I have never tried your brand of RFTs, but I suspect most RFTs brands drive and feel similar.

I have had Yokohama RFTs on my 335i for almost 4 years now and have not had any problems with them. In my experience, RFTs generate more road noise and give a stiffer ride than non-RFTs.

While i could do without the road noise (also depends on the road surface), they do give me some peace of mind while driving since I have no spare tire. That being said, RFTs are not failproof. If you get the tire knocked off the rim somehow, it's going to be useless even if it was not punctured.

I forgot to add, I have 17s on my car right now with RFTs; If you have 19s with RFTs, I think your ride quality might end up being a bit harsh (very firm). Partly depends on the condition of the roads in your area I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #8
ptpending
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

the difference not only in runflats but also who made runflat tires
potenza is very rough and michelin is more soft
also runflats add more weight to wheels
so if you have ideal roads around you, you'll be fine with runflats
but if you have roads with potholes and with other repairs wit edges your car suspension and sense that much more
E91 2006. Retrofits:High beam assistant, Individual Audio, Autodim mirrors, CIC, Combox(USB and Bluetooth), Electric Sport Seats, Light package, Front PDC, Heated Steering Wheel, Happy Robot, Climate Comfort Windscreen, Blackline rear lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 11:27 AM   #9
phillycx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i sedan

I agree with the general consensus above. I have a 2009 328i that originally came with run flats (Bridgestone) and I drove on them until they wore out. The ride was harsh and they don't absorb road imperfections well at all. They also don't wear well. I then purchased some Continental Extreme Contact Sports. Night and day.

Admittedly, some of that difference is going from all seasons to dedicated summer tires, but the Continentals are softer and take some of the grunt out of an already stiff OEM suspension. I have AAA so it's run flats for me all day. (Also, did this with my MINI...same results)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #10
MrAC
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks everyone for their input, from what I'm reading from here.. I may just use the run flats for a bit, if I can't bare with the ride comfort/noise, I'll probably just swap for non run flats
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2018, 03:18 PM   #11
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Run flats will not last more than 30,000 miles and they are really expensive
Not true. For instance, Bridgestone Driveguard in sizes for F3x is $10-$20 more than their go-flat brethern, and it has a 5/60K warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #12
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

The Potenza is a fine tire. However, I'd probably step down a notch (from the RE010 or S001) to the RE960/970, which will be quieter and easier riding.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 11:24 PM   #13
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Not true. For instance, Bridgestone Driveguard in sizes for F3x is $10-$20 more than their go-flat brethern, and it has a 5/60K warranty.
Unfortunately, the main impression from Bridgestone Driveguard RFTs... is "dammit i want goflat Pirellis"
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #14
N52UNED
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

I have Continental RFT's and they give a fairly hard ride compared to non-RFT Continentals. I'm in FL and there's not a lot of potholes but there's a good number of road patches and other bumps that when hit are rather jarring for what they are (and that's even without the sport suspension). I do find them to wander a bit at highway speed. But they have good wear, good traction (even in wet), and fairly low road noise. I will put them above non-RFT Continentals for cornering, as the non-RFTs do have a softer sidewall so you can feel them mush in the corners.

Personally I can live with RFT's ... but they're not as compliant as I prefer ... so I'm looking to switch over to non's and go up from 16" to 18" staggered wheels. I have AAA but will invest in a BMW spare tire kit and keep it in the truck OR invest in a slime/sealer compressor kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #15
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

When the E90 first came out in 2005 - 2006, for the sport package at least, the only run-flat tire available was the OE REA-50 Bridgestone. My original tires lasted barely 26,000 miles, just because they are performance summer tires with a soft compound. I started a 175-mile daily commute right about the time the original tires were spent, so I went with a square set up (vs. staggered) on 18" rims. I also switched to non-run flat high performance all season tires in a 235/40-18 IIRC (I've since switched back to the stock 17" 162-style wheels). I've run 13 sets of tires since then, but the last two sets have been back on the OE wheels, so 11 on the square 18" set up, and now 2 sets on the 17" staggered set up.

My observations have been this: The OE Run-Flat Bridgestone summer performance tires are great tires with a lot of grip and a smooth ride. I'd have kept running them if I wanted to drain my bank account. The only downside was at about the 18,000 mile mark they get really noisy. When I switched to the 18" non-run flat square set up on high performance all-seasons, I got over 35,000 miles a set (rotating every 5,000 miles). The trade off for me was a small decrease in handling performance and no noticeable increase in ride quality with the non-runflats (but I went down 10MM in sidewall height at the same time). At 182,000, I replaced the struts and shocks with OE BMW sport suspension components. I had the car aligned (for the first time) and that was a complete mistake since I couldn't find a shop that knew how the fuck to align a BMW. I went through 3 sets of tires very quickly (around 20K miles a set), until I finally a) I changed back to the '17 stock wheels, and b) took the car to a BMW dealer. That set the suspension straight again and I got 38,000 miles on the first set of new tires post alignment and the I just got unbelievably 49,000 miles out of my last set (Yokohama ADVAN A/S 3). I just replaced those Yoks with another identical set, but I redid the suspension again, moving to Bilstein H8's with H&R springs. I had the car aligned at a local shop that works on BMWs (the owner races them). And yesterday I rotated the tires at 5,000 miles and they are wearing evenly and dropped only 1/32th in tread depth. The most recent alignment didn't change the rear setting (I marked the bolts) and the front I finally put in new lower control arms and tirerods (after 336,000 miles). Again, moving back to the 17" OE wheels and now on non-run flat all seasons, I've not noticed any real discernable change in handling, braking or grip.

All that said, I've figured out that a 35-series tire (sidewall) in an "XL" load rating gives almost as good run-flat performance as real run-flats, for a lot lower price. I ran one of the 18" all seasons at zero pressure for 30+ miles once to get home.

Lots of words, but that's been my experience with tires on the E90.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 11:52 PM   #16
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N52UNED View Post
I have Continental RFT's and they give a fairly hard ride compared to non-RFT Continentals. I'm in FL and there's not a lot of potholes but there's a good number of road patches and other bumps that when hit are rather jarring for what they are (and that's even without the sport suspension). I do find them to wander a bit at highway speed. But they have good wear, good traction (even in wet), and fairly low road noise. I will put them above non-RFT Continentals for cornering, as the non-RFTs do have a softer sidewall so you can feel them mush in the corners.

Personally I can live with RFT's ... but they're not as compliant as I prefer ... so I'm looking to switch over to non's and go up from 16" to 18" staggered wheels. I have AAA but will invest in a BMW spare tire kit and keep it in the truck OR invest in a slime/sealer compressor kit.
You can fit 16's over your calipers???
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #17
vilord
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xiT

My '07 e91 xi sport package came with continental runflats on 17's, which were harsh, unforgiving, and didn't actually grip all that well. Driving over Boston potholes i cracked 4 rims in the first 2 years.
For the summer I now have bridgestone runflats from an '11 on 16's, and they are still somewhat harsh but handle much better and don't crack rims when i go over potholes.
For the winter I'm running continental contiwintercontact non-runflats on 17s.
The non-runflat 17s corner better than the runflat 16s and are also more comfortable.

I'm still trying to figure out how best to start carrying a spare without it filling up my trunk... I might pull out the under-boot tray and attack the area with a sledgehammer or something, as long as the fuel tank/exhaust/etc isn't in the way underneath.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #18
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
What can I expect?
Literal butthurt.
Appreciate 1
vilord14.50

01-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #19
MrAC
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Literal butthurt.
<3 the name
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #20
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep

WAIT wait wait.... you want to PAY, as in like MSRP type go buy and install RFTs????

Dont just dont.

Only if they get thrown in with the rims or a used tire shops sticks you with an RFT to replace a prematurely worn/damaged tire
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #21
MrAC
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
WAIT wait wait.... you want to PAY, as in like MSRP type go buy and install RFTs????

Dont just dont.

Only if they get thrown in with the rims or a used tire shops sticks you with an RFT to replace a prematurely worn/damaged tire
Oh no, I'm not buying RFTs new to slap them on the wheels, the wheels currently come on with them and look like they have a decent amount of tread.

I should edit the op
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #22
vilord
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xiT

suggestion, based on my experience: if you live in an area with a lot of potholes, take off those RFTs and find some sap on craigslist to buy 'em from you.
would *suck* to hit a pothole and crack one of your shiny new 19's
Appreciate 0