E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Over thinking this DSC Problem???

12-01-2018, 06:28 PM   #1
Cisco335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Overthinking DSC Problem??

How's everyone doing? Hopefully better than me. First post ever by the way. Long overdue.

Electrical and Weird Communication problems. DSC ABS red Brake light, Restraint System, RDC light,wipers won't shut off, No gauges other than gas work unless I unplug the DSC, then the RPM's worm, Gas works, Oil temp is a bit off though and no MPH gage. Buttons on steering wheel don't work, horn does, and Signal lever works.

Little about the car. Was given to me by a lady friend as a gift back in 2014. Always ran great and other than breaks, a water pump, and a bank 2 set of injectors, it had never been down for more than a day or so. It's A 10/07 build 08' 335i E90. 126k miles. New battery(registered and coded), alternator, IBS replaced, cleaned speed sensors, red cable has been changed out by BMW back in 2013.....Car is completely stock. No aftermarket parts.

I have a Foxwell NT520 and Carly to scan the car but neither of them will connect to the DME unless I unplug the DSC.

With the DSC plugged in, It won't read the DME or the DSC.

Codes with DSC unplugged:
CAS
A0B5: fault, road speed signal

Engine-DME Motor Elec.
Cd98: message error, DME Receiver, AHM/Dsc Transmitter

CD9C message Faulty, Rec. DME, Transmitter DSC

CDA5: (Status. DSC 0x19E) faulty. Receiver DME, transmitter DSC

EGS: CF34- message from DSC

FRM2- A8BB(tail lights), E59A(yaw rate), E599(driving speed), E597(DSC control unit)
E59C(steering angle), E594(steering angle again with same description)

Instrument Cluster
A3B9, A550, A3AC,

Airbag: 93fb- no message(vehicle speed) from dsc, acsm receiver/MRS5, DSC Transmitter.

I know some of this are on because it's unplugged but once I plug the DSC in, only the DME codes disappear because the scanner won't read it. Everything else stays the same for true most part. I'll post those codes in a second. I end up unplugging again and then I'll get a ekps electric fuel pump implausible code, misfiring, etc etc.

I miss driving my lady of the house.
will to try anything and answer any question. Really need your help. This is taking away from my Cherokee SRT and Magnum SRT8.
Attached Images

12-01-2018, 06:37 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

you should always check to see if you have a strong battery
and the alternator is putting out the right voltage range
before doing anything on these cars.
multiple failures are one of the symtoms of low battery or alternator
output.

They have a lot of electronics that don't respond well
to low voltage and current.
Measure it don't just assume its good.
Appreciate 2
      12-01-2018, 06:42 PM   #3
Cisco335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
you should always check to see if you have a strong battery
and the alternator is putting out the right voltage range
before doing anything on these cars.
multiple failures are one of the symtoms of low battery or alternator
output.

They have a lot of electronics that don't respond well
to low voltage and current.
I agree 100% and should have put my voltage readings. My apologies. 12.5 while off and the jump start post and 14.4 while running, lights and AC on. I want to just go ahead and change out the DSC unit but I'm waiting till I get INPA set up which requires a different laptop since I'm a Mac user
      12-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Best to go ahead and setup ista D to .
Its in English and is like having a shop manual
with guided troubleshooting .

Here are some handy guides to using both.

diagnostic manual ista/inpa
https://bimmerprofs.com/diagnostics-inpa-part-1/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xo19teM9vkTF-C
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7x8H3pN8h1fMuF
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-P-actually-do

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...9&d=1539905743
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2018, 09:59 PM   #5
Cisco335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you so much for the advice CTuna. Much appreciated.
      12-02-2018, 08:16 PM   #6
Cisco335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Bump
      08-14-2020, 01:54 PM   #7
cparke
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco335i View Post
How's everyone doing? Hopefully better than me. Electrical and Weird Communication problems. DSC ABS red Brake light, Restraint System, RDC light,wipers won't shut off, No gauges other than gas work unless I unplug the DSC, then the RPM's worm, Gas works, Oil temp is a bit off though and no MPH gage. Buttons on steering wheel don't work, horn does, and Signal lever works.
Quote:
With the DSC plugged in, It won't read the DME or the DSC.

Codes with DSC unplugged:
CAS
A0B5: fault, road speed signal

Engine-DME Motor Elec.
Cd98: message error, DME Receiver, AHM/Dsc Transmitter

CD9C message Faulty, Rec. DME, Transmitter DSC

CDA5: (Status. DSC 0x19E) faulty. Receiver DME, transmitter DSC

EGS: CF34- message from DSC

FRM2- A8BB(tail lights), E59A(yaw rate), E599(driving speed), E597(DSC control unit)
E59C(steering angle), E594(steering angle again with same description)

Instrument Cluster
A3B9, A550, A3AC,

Airbag: 93fb- no message(vehicle speed) from dsc, acsm receiver/MRS5, DSC Transmitter.

I know some of this are on because it's unplugged but once I plug the DSC in, only the DME codes disappear because the scanner won't read it. Everything else stays the same for true most part. I'll post those codes in a second. I end up unplugging again and then I'll get a ekps electric fuel pump implausible code, misfiring, etc etc.
I had something similar happen, except I was getting F-CAN errors instead.

The DSC is a gateway module, that means it is connected to more than one network in the car and forwards communications between them. I forget which networks it's on, but it doesn't matter. The wipers won't shut off is an indicator of a serious network failure, BMW is trying to force you to stop driving the car and bring it in for service.

Most likely, your issue is like mine, something in the DSC communication module is failing and either introducing noise into the networks or just not working. I changed the DSC electronics module to fix the issue, it separates from the DSC pump, but it's in a tight spot and you need to disconnect all the brake lines and take the whole DSC module out to change it (which means a brake fluid change and full re-bleed of the brake system, including the DSC hydro pump valves when you put it back in). If the replacement DSC module is previously used, like mine was, it also needs coding and VIN write. The steering angle sensor also has to be reprogrammed, which doesn't work in INPA and requires DIS or ISTA. It's a lot of annoying work!

However, before I started all that work, I proved it was the DSC module by just plugging in the new control module disconnected from the pump. Yes, there were codes about the missing pump and VIN mismatch, but all the communication errors and wiper running went away. There is also an automotive electronics company that I found which says it can repair the DSC electronics module, but of course you'd have to mail it out and wait, and in the end it turned out cheaper for me to buy the used electronics module alone from a guy who had been planning to sell it together with the hydro pump.

Good luck!

Last edited by cparke; 08-14-2020 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2022, 04:51 AM   #8
Dfbpurcell
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i N54

Quote:
DSC Codes
Did you ever solve this issue? I am getting similar codes, but my battery voltage reported 11.8 on my battery. I replaced it with a good, brand new battery and still getting 11.8. Wondering if this could be the cause, or if it's likely I will have to replace the DSC
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 05:22 PM   #9
pearls
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i 6mt

not sure why these cars are so finicky. just finished turbo install and im getting dsc malfunc codes now. idk what to do, blinkers still turn on and off when i turn the wheel like normal but no cruise control or hill start assist, anyone care to chime in?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 09:46 PM   #10
Dfbpurcell
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i N54

did you fix it? i've replaced half my car and still haven't fixed it
Appreciate 0