E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BenFenner's 2008 White Wagon

05-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #45
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

everyone complains about the lack of those, but honestly, it's not really a big deal. you can read the oil level through the OBC. I think some people have enabled a hidden menu to read coolant temp, but it's going to make no sense anyway since the running temp of the N52 is variable.

I reprogrammed my DME to trigger an SES if the oil pump triggers a code (normally they don't) and reduced the warning temps for the yellow overheat light, which is about as good as you can do. That way, if the pump is failing I'll at least have some warnings.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 07:41 PM   #46
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFenner View Post
I remembered few more things, so I added them to the "ugly" section.

- No coolant temp gauge
- No engine oil dip stick
Modern coolant gauges are just idiot lights with moving pointers. They are so damped they do nothing, so why bother? And I feel much the same about them as the dip stick - I trust the computer to be paying attention in the case of issues far more than I trust myself. My eyes are on the road...

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #47
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks. feelsgoodman.jpg

That sounds like a great color combo. I do love BMW's greens, and it's the only thing that works with some of the lighter tan interiors IMO, but Chestnut is killer.

I make demands of my tools, not requests.

I could say the same thing about having it active causing a collision some day.
How could having it active CAUSE a collision? I have owned my car for nine years, driven it in about every possible road and weather condition, and I am NOT a shy wallflower of a driver either, and never once have I thought I would be better off with it off. It's damned near magic in the snow (assuming proper snow tires so it has grip to work with). Please be specific - I am genuinely curious here.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #48
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:

I could say the same thing about having it active causing a collision someday.
I owned an E36 M3 and so I know where you're coming from regarding your MCoupe on safety-related TSC issues. That second throttle body is awful!

The E46 M3 was a pretty big step-up, but still an impediment to "fun" driving and possibly a safety issue.

The E90 was a much bigger step up, IMO. And, honestly, if your rear subframe bushing and thrust arm bushings are still stock I'd say the communication you're getting is kind of meh. From a power and dynamic ability standpoint, I actually found the TSC helpful when the car was stock. The one caveat to that being an auto-x in the wet, where I just wanted to have fun.

Once you shore up the rear subframe and front thrust bushings the chassis really comes alive! I've since had more fun turning it off more regularly, but I've never felt like it was a safety issue.

The E90 core system has huge capability - The M3's MDM mode can hold controlled slip angles, etc.

Anyway, my .02

Last edited by tlow98; 05-12-2020 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 08:34 PM   #49
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

mmm I see one bucket and a sponge?

At least its a white car.

But on black cars, you'll need a soap bucket, and rinse bucket and a microfiber chenille mitts. No circles, straight lines, up and down on vertical panel, no left right.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 08:30 AM   #50
BenFenner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36/8 | E53 | E91 | E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
everyone complains about the lack of those, but honestly, it's not really a big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
Modern coolant gauges are just idiot lights with moving pointers. They are so damped they do nothing, so why bother?
We will just have to agree to disagree. To me an oil dipstick and water temp gauge are absolutely vital.
Modern coolant temp gauges being damped does not make them less useful to me. (They actually just have extremely tight range on-center. They move quickly and accurately off-center where it matters most.)

Quote:
I feel much the same about them as the dip stick - I trust the computer to be paying attention in the case of issues far more than I trust myself. My eyes are on the road...
I can name dozens of times I've needed to check the engine oil level when starting the car was not an option, let alone driving it around and waiting for it to get up to temp just to check the damn oil level.
I'm almost never concerned with oil level while driving. That is just not even a thing for me. Your world is not necessarily my world.

Quote:
How could having it active CAUSE a collision?
Please be specific - I am genuinely curious here.
Need to get tail around to avoid unseen on-coming vehicle while taking left turn onto new road.
Need to get tail around to avoid being t-boned by vehicle running a stop sign while I'm mid-way through the intersection.

I get it. You like traction control.
I do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post

But on black cars, you'll need a soap bucket, and rinse bucket and a microfiber chenille mitts. No circles, straight lines, up and down on vertical panel, no left right.
I know. I'd be saying the same thing.

I know how to wash a car. I'm now DEEP into the detailing scene.
However, at the time the budget just was not there. I was using the hose to rinse off the sponge (using 4, starting at the top, then beltline, then bottom, then wheels) between each trip to the bucket for soap. I was wiping front-to-back for sure. I was doing my best with the cheap equipment I have/had.

I'm slowly getting myself better things. I have two larger buckets now. I'm working on getting a microfiber pad instead of the sponges... I'm hoping to get a pressure washer soon. I'll be using better products...
It's not a lack of knowledge, it's just a lack of funds/equipment right now.

To make up for that, I've just had to do more labor rinsing the sponge with the hose (keep that tiny bucket clear of debris), and use ~4 sponges per wash versus one good pad.

Last edited by BenFenner; 05-13-2020 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
MPOWER52664753.00
      05-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #51
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post

Careful... you can get crazy and get a full pressure washer, foam canon, and buckets with Motorsport themed labels. Haha.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr
Appreciate 3
      05-13-2020, 08:50 AM   #52
BenFenner
Private First Class
Rep

Nick, that's where I'm headed. I'm just waiting for funds.

I did already spring for that rolling seat at the right side of your pic. It has come in handy for all sorts of uses, not just washing the car. Next is to get the buckets to roll with me too (like you have).
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 09:05 AM   #53
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

Quote:
Nick, that's where I'm headed. I'm just waiting for funds.

I did already spring for that rolling seat at the right side of your pic. It has come in handy for all sorts of uses, not just washing the car. Next is to get the buckets to roll with me too (like you have).
I got my bucket set up before OG put theirs together. If I had to do it again, Walmart sells the dollies for like $9 now. Also the buckets are plain harbor freight ones, I bought several of them when they were clearing them out for their new red ones.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2020, 09:31 AM   #54
BenFenner
Private First Class
Rep

Yah, I've had my eye on those Walmart dollies (they were $12 when I looked). I just forgot what they were called and could not find them again. Got a link or something? As long as they don't have super-cheap office-chair quality casters then I'm in.

I splurged and picked up some slightly fancy (clear) food-service 22-quart "buckets" for ~$15 a piece because there is something about the clear buckets that I like but can't explain... We'll see if I stick with them.

(I did pick up the lamb-skin mitt from the OG store to help cleaning the wheels, and maybe one or two other things. I would love a shopping spree there obviously, but need to pick and choose with my current budget.)

Last edited by BenFenner; 05-13-2020 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 09:58 AM   #55
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yah, I've had my eye on those Walmart dollies (they were $12 when I looked). I just forgot what they were called and could not find them again. Got a link or something? As long as they don't have super-cheap office-chair quality casters then I'm in.

I splurged and picked up some slightly fancy (clear) food-service 22-quart "buckets" for ~$15 a piece because there is something about the clear buckets that I like but can't explain... We'll see if I stick with them.

(I did pick up the lamb-skin mitt from the OG store to help cleaning the wheels, and maybe one or two other things. I would love a shopping spree there obviously, but need to pick and choose with my current budget.)
I cant seem to find them either, they must have sold out. The wheel mit and incredipad xl are awesome, I highly recommend them.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2020, 11:14 PM   #56
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
We will just have to agree to disagree. To me an oil dipstick and water temp gauge are absolutely vital.
Modern coolant temp gauges being damped does not make them less useful to me. (They actually just have extremely tight range on-center. They move quickly and accurately off-center where it matters most.)

I can name dozens of times I've needed to check the engine oil level when starting the car was not an option, let alone driving it around and waiting for it to get up to temp just to check the damn oil level.
I'm almost never concerned with oil level while driving. That is just not even a thing for me. Your world is not necessarily my world.

Need to get tail around to avoid unseen on-coming vehicle while taking left turn onto new road.
Need to get tail around to avoid being t-boned by vehicle running a stop sign while I'm mid-way through the intersection.

I get it. You like traction control.
I do not.

I know. I'd be saying the same thing.

I know how to wash a car. I'm now DEEP into the detailing scene.
However, at the time the budget just was not there. I was using the hose to rinse off the sponge (using 4, starting at the top, then beltline, then bottom, then wheels) between each trip to the bucket for soap. I was wiping front-to-back for sure. I was doing my best with the cheap equipment I have/had.

I'm slowly getting myself better things. I have two larger buckets now. I'm working on getting a microfiber pad instead of the sponges... I'm hoping to get a pressure washer soon. I'll be using better products...
It's not a lack of knowledge, it's just a lack of funds/equipment right now.

To make up for that, I've just had to do more labor rinsing the sponge with the hose (keep that tiny bucket clear of debris), and use ~4 sponges per wash versus one good pad.
You aren't getting the tail around that way in one of these cars anyway, other than in snow and ice. There isn't much torque, the HP peak is at the redline, and too much grip. This isn't my e30 with an LSD that would go sideways at will if you stuck your foot in it. Plus if you want to have some fun there is the intermediate setting anyway.

If there isn't sufficient oil, an N52 won't start at all. The car will tell you when you need to add oil - and there is zero reason to until it tells you to. Any unexpected rise in temp is going to light up a big fat warning on the dash - so what is the point? Don't forget - these cars have a computer-controlled thermostat that allows for a WIDE range of conditionally dependent operating temperatures, what would be considered "overheating" in a lot of cars is normal operation for a modern BMW. The need to "register" a new battery must get you really excited too.

I have some severe Luddite tendencies when it comes to cars, but not in these areas. These days the computers ARE often smarter than we are. I find BMW's design to be very rational most of the time. Sometimes the execution can leave a little to be desired, mostly in choice of materials.

But to each thier own. Enjoy it!

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 05:46 AM   #57
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWER5266 View Post
Careful... you can get crazy and get a full pressure washer, foam canon, and buckets with Motorsport themed labels. Haha.

You don't have one under the new wash rack yet?

Weight and lack of LSD is negative of the car, but ride quality and refined is very nice. Days of light flickable cars are gone for the most part, even the M2 weighs 3600 pounds which is portly but safety is not light.

Last edited by M-technik-3; 05-14-2020 at 05:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2020, 07:12 AM   #58
BenFenner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You aren't getting the tail around that way in one of these cars anyway, other than in snow and ice. There isn't much torque, the HP peak is at the redline, and too much grip.
Clutch kick does the job just fine.

If it were an automatic, or the obnoxious AWD model, you'd have a point.

(If I wanted a car to make decisions for me, I'd have bought an automatic.)

If you'd like to discuss more about full-time lack of traction control, go ahead and make a new thread in the appropriate section for everyone to contribute. I'd be happy to join in there.

Quote:
If there isn't sufficient oil, an N52 won't start at all. The car will tell you when you need to add oil - and there is zero reason to until it tells you to.
Spoken like a man who's never had an engine out of a car.

How am I supposed to add the correct amount of oil to a newly refreshed block? Or after a newly installed oil cooler? Or when I swap this engine into something else?

Again, your world is not my world.

Quote:
Any unexpected rise in temp is going to light up a big fat warning on the dash - so what is the point?
I'd like to know when I'm up to temp so I can beat on the car a bit more.

Your world is not my world.

Quote:
Don't forget - these cars have a computer-controlled thermostat that allows for a WIDE range of conditionally dependent operating temperatures, what would be considered "overheating" in a lot of cars is normal operation for a modern BMW.
You have made so many assumptions based on your own narrow view of why someone might need something.

I'd be nice if you'd stop doing that. Things will go much smoother for us both.

Quote:
The need to "register" a new battery must get you really excited too.
It is not my favorite thing, but I get why the BMS exists and needs that info.

Quote:
But to each thier own. Enjoy it!
You said it.

Last edited by BenFenner; 05-14-2020 at 07:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 07:45 AM   #59
BenFenner
Private First Class
Rep

Replace front brake pads and rotors | Album

It is time to replace the front pads, and I lean toward replacing the rotors at the same time these days (for a few reasons) so here we are. I also replaced the brake pad wear sensor that had tripped, and the rotor retaining bolts as well.

I was ordering from WorldPac through my buddy's shop again, and this time it was easy to get OEM stuff since I know Zimmerman is the OEM for the rotors and Textar is the OEM for the pads.

You'll see by the picture of the old pads that I really like to get my full use of them. I'd normally run them quite a bit longer, but with Katie driving I played it a bit safe.

I also took this opportunity to do a bit more of a deep cleaning on the front wheels. Hopefully these hideous things won't be on for much longer.

Parts:
$48.35 | OEM (Textar) front brake pad set | 34116780711
$111.92 | OEM (Zimmerman) front brake rotor (×2) | 34116855006
$4.35 | OEM (Meyle) front brake pad wear sensor | 34356789440
$2.30 | OEM front brake rotor retaining bolt (×2) | 34211161806

Sample pics from album linked above:

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 08:16 AM   #60
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
You don't have one under the new wash rack yet?

Weight and lack of LSD is negative of the car, but ride quality and refined is very nice. Days of light flickable cars are gone for the most part, even the M2 weighs 3600 pounds which is portly but safety is not light.
Starting on the pressure washer room this weekend.

Appreciate 2
      05-14-2020, 10:14 AM   #61
BenFenner
Private First Class
Rep

Damn.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 05:26 PM   #62
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Damn.
Exactly, who wouldn't want a dedicated detailing zone. Great shot Nick. Wish I had knack for being able to get a great shot.

OP those brakes were what a week away from destroying things... So nice to have new brakes huh?
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2020, 07:31 PM   #63
BenFenner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
OP those brakes were what a week away from destroying things... So nice to have new brakes huh?
Ehhh, we could probably have gotten many more months (~500 miles) out of them.
I typically do try to get more life out of the pads, especially when I plan to replace the rotor anyway. This being the wife's car I didn't want her to have to deal with that though.
As-is, this was a good bit after the brake pad sensor tripped.

The new brakes have been properly bedded, but they are still nothing to write home about. Initial bite is nowhere to be found, and they don't ever really inspire confidence. But that's stock BMW brakes from my experience, and I'm comparing them to that of much better setups. I'm sure they will get a little better with age, but if this were my car I'd go straight to Hawk HT-10 pads and never look back. They have spoiled me.

Last edited by BenFenner; 05-15-2020 at 06:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 07:08 AM   #64
BenFenner
Private First Class
Rep

Meteor shower | Album

We took the wagon out to a deserted country road to watch the meteor shower.
These are the only pics I took.

Pics:

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 10:59 PM   #65
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

When I first saw the pics, I assumed the water pump died and you were waiting for a tow truck.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2020, 02:08 PM   #66
BenFenner
Private First Class
Rep

Appreciate 0