E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Winter Tyres

12-01-2010, 04:19 AM   #133
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

I can vouch for my comments above having both an Audi TT Diesel which is shod with summers, and the E90 shod with winters. I feel far more confident in the E90.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 04:26 AM   #134
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

We're lucky here, only a couple of inches so far.

But you know winters do a lot more than just keep you moving

Even on black ice and compacted snow their grip and progrressiveness is nothing short of remarkable, we've got a 1 mile untreated private road to the site I'm working on at the moment and it is sheet ice and compacted snow, hard to walk on in fact.

This a.m. I was trying to make the car slide with sharp control inputs, it slid briefly then dug in and gripped again, they 'squeak' slightly on ice as you move which shows the friction being generated, you can stop and pull away normally as you would in the dry with no spin or slip.

If you over cook it, of course they slip, but the marvel is the way they return to grip quickly and any slide is as progressive as a good tyre in the wet.

Not the usuall grip, grip, grip ahhhhh nothing................ thump!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 04:26 AM   #135
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonicdriver View Post
Not quite true beemerbird. Winters do give better performance on ice. Winters will stop you in a much shorter distance than standard tyres. They will also allow you better control when cornering on ice.
But not to the extent that you can think you can drive normally!

Yes the vid showed a BMW for each example.

I don't dispute they allow you better cornering when the car is RWD trying to push you and by default you have steerage problems as the front wheels are not rotating at the same speed as the rears. Steerage at low speeds on ice for me is controllable (if you listen to feedback from the steering wheel) as the car is pulling and pushing.

Any of us hit black ice at too high a speed then you're going to have to know how to control the car - simple as. Just don't push your luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 04:29 AM   #136
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Agree - it's not about being invincible, but it helps!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 04:30 AM   #137
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Even on black ice and compacted snow their grip and progrressiveness is nothing short of remarkable, we've got a 1 mile untreated private road to the site I'm working on at the moment and it is sheet ice and compacted snow, hard to walk on in fact.
I know you like them Mike and you don't have to justify them. You men are funny sometimes.

Tell you what. Drive over to East Yorks and prove me wrong...........there's plenty of ideal test conditions at the mo and lots of compacted snow that would really require studded tyres tbh.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 04:32 AM   #138
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonicdriver View Post
I can vouch for my comments above having both an Audi TT Diesel which is shod with summers, and the E90 shod with winters. I feel far more confident in the E90.
That's all that matters - how you feel.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 04:39 AM   #139
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

You certainly shouldnt expect to be able to drive as you would in normal conditions however when it comes to grip and control in icy conditions the correctly specified tyres are more important than having 4 wheel drive.

A quote from Tirerack.....

"It is important to remember that while the all-wheel drive vehicle’s ability to accelerate in slippery conditions provides a lot of confidence, it doesn’t really offer any unique advantage when the vehicle has to stop or turn. This is because other vehicles also use all four tyres to provide braking and cornering traction. Since all-wheel drive vehicles actually weigh more than their two-wheel drive counterparts, bringing them to a stop or turning a corner actually requires more traction.

So, whether your vehicle has anti-lock brakes, traction control, a vehicle stability system or all-wheel drive, it is your tyres that provide the real traction."

Also most mud/snow tyres fitted to 4x4s do not have the softer rubber compound found in proper winter tyres but are useful in mud and snow because of the physical shape of the tread pattern. They are a compromise working in mud (Warm or cold as well as snow) so they should not be expected to perform particularly well on ice.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 04:48 AM   #140
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Hence in countries where they annually have bad winters they fit studded tyres.

Point is, we all have limited ground clearance also which is obvious as to the effects.

I'm WALKING round to my Mum's now as a shit load of snow has fallen off the roof onto the path on top of existing snow and she can't open the door Main roads are slushy - no probs. but her street isn't gritted like ours isn't and I categorically refuse to use my car as a plough through what is now approx. 8 friggin inches of snow.

If you've got bad snow where you are - just be careful ok.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 05:13 AM   #141
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I was wondering if anyone could recommend the best winter tyres which I could also use for summer....

I want to keep the staggered set up....i.e 255/35/18 for the rears....and I also want top performance for summer....
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 05:26 AM   #142
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

I used my car as abit of a snow plough last night, went down a country one track lane that a farmer seemed to have cleared.....great I'm thinking. That is until it got to his house, no more cleared road. The snow was just above my ground clearance so I could here it under the car as I progressed....wasn't a pleasant kind of noise. All seems ok when I got out the other end.

ztlm089, have a look on mytyres.co.uk for all weather tyres. Not has good as having summer vs winters though
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #143
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

The Wintracs certainly paid their way last night in the 6 hours it took to get from Bingley to Rochdale.

I found their limit on a steep hill trying a detour in Saltaire that was covered with that fine, powerdery-dry slush that offers zero grip. The Beemer in front fishtailed up it then lost it and stopped, I started to get past him then couldn't get any further either so gave it up and went back down.

Apart from that though they were great. Going through Bradford was so slow the slush had frozen under us all - so many cars and vans were polishing away wheel-spinning and struggling to get up the slightest incline. That was my biggest concern, the cars around and behind me.

Forecast today isn't great, I know I can drive in it but it's the others that has put me off - snow-stops play (well, work) today
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #144
jamm
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d m-sport

hi,

im having problems getting winter tyres, where are you guys getting them from?

the 2 options ive managed to source are

to get a non-staggered set of vreds(225/45/17) on staggered orignal wheels (17s) or

staggered tyres, dunlops on front and vreds on back

both options required a weeks wait!!!!

what do think would be better
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #145
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamm View Post
hi,

im having problems getting winter tyres, where are you guys getting them from?

the 2 options ive managed to source are

to get a non-staggered set of vreds(225/45/17) on staggered orignal wheels (17s) or

staggered tyres, dunlops on front and vreds on back

both options required a weeks wait!!!!

what do think would be better

Get the 225s all round, this way you can rotate them from front to rear axle next year.
      12-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #146
no_ball
No Fear
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d M Sport

at this stage I would get anything I can get hold off, I ordered mine in September and had to compromise on size for the rears (255/35, got 245/40 in the end) just to get some winters in time.

I went for vreds wintracs, so far so good, can detect the very slightest slip at 80mph on the motorway but this is probably OK.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #147
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Really, I got 255/35 18s from mytyres in September, no problem. Pirelli Sottozeros though. Don't think Vredstein do 255/35 18.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #148
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Pair of Bridgestones on ebay - £245 delivered

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/255-35-18-90V-...item4aa6c0df8a

255 35 18's
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #149
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_ball View Post
can detect the very slightest slip at 80mph on the motorway but this is probably OK.
pardon? what do you mean?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 02:18 AM   #150
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

beemerbird said "Hence in countries where they annually have bad winters they fit studded tyres."
Having lived in Southern germany for three years I can assure you that they get shitty weather for months at a time and they only use studded tyres when absolutely essential (usually on steep mountain roads)as they are restricted speedwise and should be removed when off the snow. The legal requirement there is winter tyres (exactly the same products as we are using) and they drive throughout the winter in all conditions with no fuss or problem. As for East Yorks having compressed snow that would require studded tyres, winters would cope admirably. (Not many mountains in East Yorks)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 02:28 AM   #151
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
If you want to have a childish dig do it directly and be a man about it ok!

Did I bollocks say East Yorks. and you know it so stop trying to be clever. Think about it - you should have the brains to realise which countries, but then of course you do.

You lot get buying your wives/partners winter tyres then if they're so wonderful? You better do and practice what you preach or aren't they worth bothering about?

Unless you've actually been across here and seen how much snow there is, don't comment.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 02:29 AM   #152
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Just to evidence the point re compacted snow/ice, this was my car this morning prior to the journey to work ( -14 degrees), the roads travelled on for half a mile to the main road which wasnt a lot better, the car safely at work, and one of our vehicles going nowhere with standard tyres fitted.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 02:33 AM   #153
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
If you want to have a childish dig do it directly and be a man about it ok!

Did I bollocks say East Yorks. and you know it so stop trying to be clever. Think about it - you should have the brains to realise which countries, but then of course you do.

You lot get buying your wives/partners winter tyres then if they're so wonderful? You better do and practice what you preach or aren't they worth bothering about?

Unless you've actually been across here and seen how much snow there is, don't comment.
Im sorry if I upset you, that wasnt my intention. I travel into East Yorks almost Daily (Easington Gas Terminal) so I do know what Im on about.
You mentioned East Yorks in relation to packed snow and ice requiring studded tyres.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 02:35 AM   #154
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
I know you like them Mike and you don't have to justify them. You men are funny sometimes.

Tell you what. Drive over to East Yorks and prove me wrong...........there's plenty of ideal test conditions at the mo and lots of compacted snow that would really require studded tyres tbh.
Am I wrong, did you not mention East Yorks??
Appreciate 0