Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Strange issue with TPMS

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Strange issue with TPMS

Hey all,

I just have a quick question. I just switched over to my summer wheels and tires today. My 335xi is a Canadian model and is not equipped with the TPMS sensor on each wheel. Canadian cars have a sensor that monitors ride height or something.

Usually when I switch over my wheels, after about a kilometre or so I get a check control code telling my to reset the sensor. This time, I haven't gotten the warning and I've driven it at least 6-7 kms. Anyone else experience this or know why it wouldn't reset?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Maybe your car is like the 330i. It doesn't use TPMS, it uses the ABS sensor to detect one wheel with a faster rotational rate due to a decrease in diameter (because of a flat or low air). The system is not perfect, so I suggest in the morning when the tires are cool, you set the PSI correctly, then go in the menu and recalibrate it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i

If it's not giving you a warning, then maybe your tire diameter is so close to your winter wheels that it hasn't triggered a recalibration requirement. I wouldn't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
If it's not giving you a warning, then maybe your tire diameter is so close to your winter wheels that it hasn't triggered a recalibration requirement. I wouldn't worry about it.
Yeah. You're probably right. It's just odd because the last time I swapped wheels, the light went off pretty quickly.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGT81 View Post
Yeah. You're probably right. It's just odd because the last time I swapped wheels, the light went off pretty quickly.
Wait a minute. So your TPMS light has been on all winter?? If that's what you're trying to say, and you're wondering why it hasn't gone out now that your summer wheels are back on, then look in the manual and do the reset it tells you about. And then do it again when you put your winter wheels back on again next winter and you get an error.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
Wait a minute. So your TPMS light has been on all winter?? If that's what you're trying to say, and you're wondering why it hasn't gone out now that your summer wheels are back on, then look in the manual and do the reset it tells you about. And then do it again when you put your winter wheels back on again next winter and you get an error.
No. The light last went on when I swapped on my winters. I then reset it. In any case, the reset light just went off finally. I've now reset that.
Appreciate 0