Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus "chunking"?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus "chunking"?

Just coming up on the end of warranty on my 335i sedan, and had it in to my indy shop for end of warranty inspection. The mechanic noted that the front tires are "chunking", losing little bits of tread all around, evenly across the tires. Looks like little divots scattered across the treads. The rears are fine.

These are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires, with abouut 26K on them, and plenty of tread depth left.

Is this something I should be concerned about, or maybe I should contact Michelin? The tires are "warranted" for 45K miles, and based on the treadwear (other than this issue) look like they would probably go that far.

I did read on some other forums that others have experienced this same wear pattern.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Michelin settlement on this problem

Michelin ackowledged there was a problem with the factory mold for these tires, which was resolved by replacing the mold for 2011 and later production. They stated the problem should not come back with new replacements.

Based on the miles and tread depth left, they credited us with 30% of the cost of a new pair of fronts. The old ones have almost 26K miles on them now, and the fronts were at 3.1 mm tread depth both sides.

Given that they normally cut the treadlife warranty (45,000 miles) in half for staggered setups, since the tires can't be rotated front to rear, that seemed like a fair settlement to us. It looks like the fronts would have gone 35-40K miles if not for the chunking.

The rears look like they will need replacing somewhere around 30-35K miles, which is good compared to OEM tires, and well past the treadlife warranty. No unusual wear issues with the rear tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Digging up an old thread, but do you have the source or official release on Michelin replacing the compound?

I really want to get the Michelins but have read a few stories about chunking and it wearing prematurely on the shoulders. If this is still the case, I might just have to go Continental DWS...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
Digging up an old thread, but do you have the source or official release on Michelin replacing the compound?

I really want to get the Michelins but have read a few stories about chunking and it wearing prematurely on the shoulders. If this is still the case, I might just have to go Continental DWS...
I spoke with Michelin customer service via their 800 number for US. maybe try calling them? BTW, it wasn't a rubber compound problem, per se. Rather, they had a set of defective molds for that particular tire. My replacements are still doing fine, just passed 60K miles on the car.
Appreciate 0