E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > '08 e92 xi - time for a suspension change?

08-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
'08 e92 xi - time for a suspension change?

I've been running B8 bilsteins with Eibach's for 7 years. Here's my original thread.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ight=B4+eibach

Lots of good intel in there, but I'm now on the threshold of a second replacement (so this will be my third set) of dampers. Bilstein's been great with their warranty, and the look is perfect, but I'm getting older (I know, I know), and I'd love to see if I can keep the profile, but perhaps get a bit softer on the ride.

I think Boston roads are murder on the shorter pistons in the B8s, which effectively trade the entire 1.5" drop in wheelgap, from their piston. For a punishing pothole (or series of them), there's just not a lot of travel for the valving to manage the beating - hence, my now third set in 7 years.

I was looking at running the B4s with my Eibachs, which have a bit taller piston, but it's a lower end design (monotube), and I've seen some xi owners have trouble installing them (and being forced to run the non-sport B4s with lowering springs up front, which I'd rather not do).

Are the koni+eibach combo more compliant on shitty roads? Is the piston travel length any better, or valving any better?

I feel like my best remaining option is coilovers, but i'm an old man in a daily driver with shitty roads and corrosion friendly winters.

Thoughts?

Also, I've read every damned thread on this (and other) forums. link are welcome, but please take that into consideration.

AA
Appreciate 0