E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 4 Prong spark plug for N52

09-18-2019, 01:29 AM   #1
boothunter11
Rep
Drives: 330i e90

4 Prong spark plug for N52

Can anyone identify the part number for the spark plug the bmw tech uses in this video (
) ?

He links the amazon page with the part number 12122158253, which is what realoem says is correct. However, i ordered 6 and theyre all just the 1 prong spark.

All other searches of the part number just give the one prong aswell.

Ive found ngk 4 prongs with a 16mm nut and 19mm thread length, but this wont be correct as the n52 uses a 26.5mm thread length right?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 06:43 AM   #2
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I would just run the standard NGKs honestly. I've seen a few of that guy's videos. Some of them are okay, but some of them are BS. He states in one video that when replacing cooling system parts one should not run the water pump bleed procedure because it will run the pump dry, which is not the case, and the system should definitely be bled to avoid air pockets being trapped in the system per BMW's own service recommendations.

4 prong plugs won't make any difference.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 05:49 PM   #3
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I would just run the standard NGKs honestly. I've seen a few of that guy's videos. Some of them are okay, but some of them are BS. He states in one video that when replacing cooling system parts one should not run the water pump bleed procedure because it will run the pump dry, which is not the case, and the system should definitely be bled to avoid air pockets being trapped in the system per BMW's own service recommendations.

I remember seeing this vid and may have even queried it, can't recall, but when I tried to find out (confirm this), wasn't really able to find anything that made me believe this 100% at the time. But, considering the ignition coils are the same used as in the older M54 type engine which do use these 4 prong plugs, it makes sense that the N52 should be happy to run them too. But I agree, there's nothing wrong with the standard NGK (or even the Bosch) Iridium plugs.

LOL, the cooling system one, didn't see that, but that does sound silly, I mean, the moment you run the engine and the cooling system starts working, that pump is going to then sit trying to circulate coolant possibly with air pockets in it, best to just run the bleed/purge procedure as normal. And besides, the coolant pump is located at the absolute lowest point of the cooling system, so the first place the coolant settles IS the pump...

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 11:47 PM   #4
boothunter11
Rep
Drives: 330i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
I remember seeing this vid and may have even queried it, can't recall, but when I tried to find out (confirm this), wasn't really able to find anything that made me believe this 100% at the time. But, considering the ignition coils are the same used as in the older M54 type engine which do use these 4 prong plugs, it makes sense that the N52 should be happy to run them too. But I agree, there's nothing wrong with the standard NGK (or even the Bosch) Iridium plugs.

LOL, the cooling system one, didn't see that, but that does sound silly, I mean, the moment you run the engine and the cooling system starts working, that pump is going to then sit trying to circulate coolant possibly with air pockets in it, best to just run the bleed/purge procedure as normal. And besides, the coolant pump is located at the absolute lowest point of the cooling system, so the first place the coolant settles IS the pump...
Yeah i don't know how he can say it with such certainty when there is literally nothing on the web to back up the statement. 1
Appreciate 0