E90Post

European Auto Source (EAS)

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 Leak and Whistle/Hiss

09-21-2019, 09:32 AM   #1
dkexige
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 N55, E90 S65

N55 Leak and Whistle/Hiss

Looking for some help. My 2011 E92 N55 is making a slight hiss/whistle noise that seems to be engine RPM dependent. Seems to be loudest around the charge pipe.

Under the hood the engine is a bit wet in a few spots as well. It was a dry day, so I wouldn't expect anything wet in the engine bay. The engine oil filter housing was quite wet and so were other components near there: alternator, part of the charge pipe. If you looked from the right side of the engine toward the block it looked wet at the block under the intake as well.

These two things might be completely unrelated. Any advice? Car is completely stock. Thanks in advance!

Video:

Pictures:

09-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
An20Olives
E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Sedan

A whistle is usually a pressure release of some sort, such as a boost leak I would start by checking your oil level, and looking for cracks around your chargepipe.

Check below your oil filter housing gasket on the belts to see if there is leakage there as that could point to the oil filter housing gasket leaking also.
      09-22-2019, 06:46 PM   #3
dkexige
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 N55, E90 S65

Thanks. The liquid seems odorless, so I'm thinking its coolant. Though there aren't a lot of coolant things on that side. Oil filter housing gasket was done a couple of years and less than 20k miles.

I'll check for a boost leak. I suspect its charge pipe as well given that they seem brittle.
      09-23-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
An20Olives
E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkexige View Post
Thanks. The liquid seems odorless, so I'm thinking its coolant. Though there aren't a lot of coolant things on that side. Oil filter housing gasket was done a couple of years and less than 20k miles.

I'll check for a boost leak. I suspect its charge pipe as well given that they seem brittle.
They tend to break under stock boost. It's hard to tell what the fluid looks like, it appears to be oil to me. There at times is blowby in the chargepipe I've seen it on mine and a friend's car, if yours is cracked it could be spraying that oil everywhere while boost escapes.