E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > My New Car

09-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #23
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Super - love it. I think these are really cool, especially the little details like alcantara headlining that make them feel special etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #24
Skid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: It's a Mini Adventure

Garage List
Nice looking car

I'm a big fan of 996 turbos
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #25
E90Yaz
Torque Monster
England
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo

Thanks for all the lovely comments people!! Keep them coming!! :P Im truely in love with this car!! And its been a long time since I've been able to say that!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #26
martho05
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i xDrive Coupe

Just fantastic!!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 12:57 AM   #27
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Bumped into Yaz today getting Tyres for his new steed. Took his car for a spin along the A13. Lovely car, very well screwed together, great gearbox that feels like new. Solid steering, loads of feel, still has that typical front-end bobbing sensation that is ever so slightly annoying to me. Engine is superb and third gear is particularly impressive.

Great car Yaz
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 03:16 AM   #28
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Looks absolutely fantastic, great colour too. I was sooo tempted to go down this route, I looked at 996 C4S Cabs, in the end I didn't have the bollocks to go for it. One day I will and it will be a 997.

Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 06:45 AM   #29
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Bumped into Yaz today getting Tyres for his new steed. Took his car for a spin along the A13. Lovely car, very well screwed together, great gearbox that feels like new. Solid steering, loads of feel, still has that typical front-end bobbing sensation that is ever so slightly annoying to me. Engine is superb and third gear is particularly impressive.

Great car Yaz
Do you mean the front end bobbing whilst cruising or that slight steering wheel shimmying and did you not find that accelerating drives through it so to speak?

Mine did it less on the French toll roads.......there's a surprise - not! But on our sometimes uneven shite roads when pushing on, the car became VERY involving to drive but thoroughly enjoyable and more fun that going to a gym.

Fantastic car Yaz and hope you're loving it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #30
E90Yaz
Torque Monster
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Do you mean the front end bobbing whilst cruising or that slight steering wheel shimmying and did you not find that accelerating drives through it so to speak?

Mine did it less on the French toll roads.......there's a surprise - not! But on our sometimes uneven shite roads when pushing on, the car became VERY involving to drive but thoroughly enjoyable and more fun that going to a gym.

Fantastic car Yaz and hope you're loving it.

Loving it isnt even the word!! I went for a 'SUNDAY DRIVE' twice today!! And was tempted to go out for a 3rd until I saw the fuel gauge!! I've never been so in love with a car!! Cant wait to get modding!! It will be some time though, have to recooperate the losses from the Audi!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #31
E90Yaz
Torque Monster
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post

Great car Yaz
Thanks for checking the car out for me Tony!! So lucky to have bumped into you at Elites! The car drives soooooo lovely now!! Went to a charity event at the Ford Dunton technical centre today and she is smooth all the way to 140mph and above!!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 02:22 AM   #32
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Yaz View Post
Loving it isnt even the word!! I went for a 'SUNDAY DRIVE' twice today!! And was tempted to go out for a 3rd until I saw the fuel gauge!! I've never been so in love with a car!! Cant wait to get modding!! It will be some time though, have to recooperate the losses from the Audi!!!
Lol, I get the picture. Nice one. Put some more fuel in sod it.

What you mean losses from the Audi, you mean as in trade in or had you modded it? I was very pleasantly surprised how the old S5 held it's value.

You driven a 997 Turbo btw? I'm already keeping an eye out for second hand values of the Generation II.........got to have something to aim for in life I say.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #33
E90Yaz
Torque Monster
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Lol, I get the picture. Nice one. Put some more fuel in sod it.

What you mean losses from the Audi, you mean as in trade in or had you modded it? I was very pleasantly surprised how the old S5 held it's value.

You driven a 997 Turbo btw? I'm already keeping an eye out for second hand values of the Generation II.........got to have something to aim for in life I say.
Yes I have test driven a 56 plate cobalt blue, fully loaded 997 Turbo! The salesman had to use a crowbar to get me out of it!! If this damn recession didnt screw everything up, thats what I would have had! So I thought the 996 cant be too far off, and I wasnt too wrong in saying that! apart from the slightly dated interior and the VGT's reducing lag there isnt a huge difference in that respect. But I love the looks of the 997, even more so the new facelift! Would you have the new one in PDK or manaul??
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #34
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
I like it a lot - the Turbos look so much better than the rest of the 996 range too.

One day I will have a 997.2 Turbo S. Maybe.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #35
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Yaz View Post
Yes I have test driven a 56 plate cobalt blue, fully loaded 997 Turbo! The salesman had to use a crowbar to get me out of it!! If this damn recession didnt screw everything up, thats what I would have had! So I thought the 996 cant be too far off, and I wasnt too wrong in saying that! apart from the slightly dated interior and the VGT's reducing lag there isnt a huge difference in that respect. But I love the looks of the 997, even more so the new facelift! Would you have the new one in PDK or manaul??
Glad you have driven one and yes, this recession and house priority are the reasons I sold mine.

Yaz, some folk say the 997 Turbo interior is 'dated', perhaps yes who knows (who cares) and in all honesty it doesn't matter imo because driving one is like nothing else. You ever ridden motorbikes? As you may know, you're part of a motorbike when you ride it. The Porsche Turbo imo is a rare thing in a car where you feel such a part of the car, it's so involving and everything is just there for the driver. The whole experience and package has to be experienced to 'get it' if that makes sense. I've never driven a car that is so fluid, I have so much faith and confidence in and has the performance of some motorbikes!

I found that the car was perfectly happy ambling along but then as soon as the opportunity arose, WOW wake up time and friggin 'ell what an animal. I pulled a shoulder muscle one day pushing on hard and I'd overtaken someone whilst I was in fourth gear ffs, not the usual third gear as in most cars, had it in sports chrono and must have been one of those perfect air density days for turbos if you know what I mean, because the car was bloody flying. Tbh, I think it was mainly due to my lack of overall physical strength compared to a man as the car could be quite a handful when pushing on............took lots of concentration to 'master' the car and be in control, but hell what a challenge, and what fun and adrenalin rush. I always treated it with respect ultimately, had every faith in the car, but also understood my limits lol............the fun is always in trying to push ones limits though.

As for PDK versus manual, hmmm. The Cayman S in PDK as it gets the best out the engine. The Turbo though........tried a tiptronic, wasn't for me. I'm a manual fan at heart and my gut reaction would be a manual box, it's such a sweet box to boot. Would have to try a Generation II in PDK as I'm sure it's bloody good. But my heart at the mo says manual, despite the fact that the Generation I's sell 60% tiptronic and 40% manuals. Mind you the bloke that bought mine isn't a quick driver by all accounts...........what a friggin waste.
Appreciate 0